SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Movie freezing as movie theater??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie freezing as movie theater?? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
My wife and I went to see the new Thor movie today. We were the only ones there for the 1:00 show.

Anyhow about two thirds of the way through the movie we experienced several freezes that would last up to 5 or so seconds. I told my wife "I feel I am watching this on Netflix" and she laughed out load. My wife was actually counting and said 17 times the movie froze. We have never experienced that before. On the way out I mentioned it to the lady at the front desk and she said she had never heard that before but would pass it one. My guess was IT related problems or maybe the Russians?

Anyone else experience such while at the movie theater?

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Not ever experienced the movie freezing...but I have on several occasions been freezing myself...I've always been glad I had a warm girl to snuggle up to Big Grin (of course it's always better if the actually know you...they are much less surprised Eek)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My local movie theater used to freeze up all the time whenI was a kid, then you could see the film burn on the screen.

Ah, the good old days! LOL

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Surprised they didn't give you free movie passes, been to several movies where the screen will freeze for a second or two, sound is a little wonky for a minute. as we exited they gave everyone a free movie pass.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
My local movie theater used to freeze up all the time whenI was a kid, then you could see the film burn on the screen.

LOL. Yeah film strip breaking or projectionist dozing off.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Surprised they didn't give you free movie passes, been to several movies where the screen will freeze for a second or two, sound is a little wonky for a minute. as we exited they gave everyone a free movie pass.

Yeah I kind of thought about that later about comping some tickets, oh well. One certainly loses some of the in the moment experience during an exciting movie when it repeatedly freezes up. I get that at home for free.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Dang, I think you messed up my brain posting that. But it doesn't take much these days, days, days.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Not ever experienced the movie freezing...but I have on several occasions been freezing myself...I've always been glad I had a warm girl to snuggle up to Big Grin (of course it's always better if the actually know you...they are much less surprised Eek)

Ah the good old days. Didn't even care what movie was playing.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I miss film

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Dang, I think you messed up my brain posting that. But it doesn't take much these days, days, days.

That will almost trigger one of them epileptic seizures!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We were watching "The Hunt for Red October" and were at the shootout in the missile tubes. Baldwin reaches up to a lightbulb, touches it, and the screen goes dark. The projector had broken down. We had to leave the theater while the staff made sure there wasn't a risk of fire. Then the management tells us to hold our ticket stubs and come back the next day! That idea ended very fast. We trooped back in and saw the rest of the movie.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Can you say "refund"?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nope, and wouldn’t mind. They chinze on the AC more so than chinze on the heat.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Film? Most theaters are all digital these days. And your projectionist is probably a server box. Reel changes are long in the past.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
quote:

Film? Most theaters are all digital these days. And your projectionist is probably a server box. Reel changes are long in the past.

Try reading the whole post next time.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Hard to find a good theater now. Went to see Cars 3 in town here (Columbia SC), no freezing but the image was so dull and washed out that I couldn't get my mind off of it.
Saw dunkirk at one of these: http://xscapetheatres.com/

I'm considering driving to KY just to see the Star Wars movie there. Fantastic everything, from seating to the sound/picture. Wish there was one closer.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post