SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Console vault--kudos and a rant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Console vault--kudos and a rant Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted
Based upon this thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3840011174/p/1 I ordered a console vault for my 2019 Ranger.

The Kudos: Upon placing on order on June 30, I received notice that it would be delivered by July 6. Not bad for the free delivery option. Surprisingly, It arrived on July 2. Big thumbs up for the quick delivery.

The Rant: I opened the package, looked over the contents, read the instructions, and set about entering my new combination. As is typical with a customizable combination lock, you need to depress a button to set your combination. Unlike the ones I've done before, this lock button did not have a perceptible click when depressed. However, I proceeded with the combo change. I depressed the button, (thought I) set the new combo, and released the button. I then spun the numbers to lock it, checked that it locked, then tried to unlock it--Nothing. Lock would not open with my combo. Tried the factory combo--Nothing again. Since the number dials were a little "soft" feeling, I tried to hit numbers on either side of the ones I thought I input--Nothing.

I called their customer service line and left a message. I made sure to compliment their quick shipping and asked for assistance with fixing the combination. I received a call back and discussed the issue with "Nick". He made several suggestions about possibly finding the correct combo, all of which I had previously tried. I asked if there was some sort of master reset, which there isn't. He then proceeded to tell me that my only option was to purchase a new lock. He said that there is a known problem with setting the combination. He said that often, the customer does not maintain the appropriate pressure throughout the process and the lock may set a combo inadvertently. He said they are currently exploring new locks that would not set the combination inadvertently. I told him I thought it was a poor practice to sell a lock system with known problems and then expect the customer to purchase a new lock. He then doubled back and said that it didn't happen often, but only a small percentage of the time.

So, I got to order a new $35 lock to replace the one with an unknown combination that I haven't been able to figure out. Fortunately, they have another sale going on and got 17.76% off, taking the cost down to $28 and change. Even with the new lock my total was less than normal retail, but I lost about half my possible savings.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I would have sent it back

I'm not buying a new part for a new peice O crap

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I would have sent it back

I'm not buying a new part for a new peice O crap

Exactly! You have to buy a new lock to fix the new POS you just received from them? Did I read that right? I can't believe OP got talked into the BS.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
BigSwede has the correct answer!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new lock should have been sent to you gratis.
The least they could have done, after they admitted to known flaw with the lock.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Wow. They know they have a problem with their locks and expect people to pay for a new one. That’s just shitty.

Now I’m glad I didn’t order one when the sale was going on a while back.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The least they could have done, after they admitted to known flaw with the lock.

Yeah, that's what I was angling for. I was initially prepared to think I screwed up, but then he admitted it happened "often". When I called him on it, he said it happened maybe 1% of the time.

The thing is, other than the lock, the vault appears to be really well built.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I've had two of them, happy with both. Surprised that they didn't comp the replacement part.

Question: If it's locked how do you go about replacing the lock mechanism. I would assume it's fastened from the inside. Never really looked closely at mine.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can pick/decode many dial locks if you have access to a set of feeler gauges. There are lots of Youtube videos on how to do so. That could be a fairly simple way to figure out the current combo, if you're so inclined.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Question: If it's locked how do you go about replacing the lock mechanism.

The vault isn't a complete box, it's essentially the top/door and short sides. The back side of the lock is exposed, and the lock can be taken off. The instructions are to change the combination prior to installation, which is obviously a good thing. If it was installed first, and I couldn't get it open, the lock would have to be drilled out.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Send the whole thing back for a refund.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post