SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Court ordered repairs to our range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court ordered repairs to our range Login/Join 
posted
3 knuckleheads were caught trashing our range and went to court.

Attorneys and Judge met in chambers prior to the trail and called me in. They wanted the 3 guys to get the materials and make the repairs to the range. I told them "No. I will not take a day out of my life to supervise them. It will take another day out of my life when they don't show up and I have to appear in court again. I want $500 restitution."

Nope. We will do it the Courts way.

They showed up an hour late. No tools. No lumber. No trash bags. No gloves.

Now I have to appear in Court again to tell the Judge what the 3 Stooges didn't do. The Three Stooges won't appear.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now what did your attorney have to say? It would seem that your attorney should appear in court on the behalf of the range and another day of your time should not be wasted.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Now what did your attorney have to say? It would seem that your attorney should appear in court on the behalf of the range and another day of your time should not be wasted.

I don't think the range had an attorney in court, the country (or district) attorney was the prosecutor. The OP has to REappear on behalf of the range (a/k/a the "victim"), I doubt he needs to bring an attorney.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think the range had an attorney in court, the country (or district) attorney was the prosecutor. The OP has to REappear on behalf of the range (a/k/a the "victim"), I doubt he needs to bring an attorney.

I was confused because the plural form, {attorneys} was used. I would hope that the range would reimburse for the time or compensate him in some sort of fashion.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Attorneys were the Prosecutor and the Defense.

Judge and I have never gotten along.

posted Hide Post
Private range, public use or your own property? In any case, sorry it worked out so poorly for you.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've lost a free shooting range in my area. People were abusing it constantly.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our own property.

Have to report to the Court this afternoon.

posted Hide Post
Would be better to solve out of court (with a balpeen hammer). Sorry for your troubles.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Criminal or civil?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Criminal.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
FTA on all parties for a contempt

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep.

I appeared before the Judge. He acted surprised. They hung the FTA's on them.

Plus the restitution cost goes up $100 every time I have to take a day to appear.

Hell, I'm retired. My hourly rate is high.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Yep.

Plus the restitution cost goes up $100 every time I have to take a day to appear.

Hell, I'm retired. My hourly rate is high.

IMO you forgot to bill for driving to court. Check out the billing for something as simply as replacing pilot temp sensor in an oven or furnace, the repair company will bill you 75 bucks just for knocking on your door. I would advise rounding it up to 100 bucks for every appearance and 100 bucks per hour for your time. BTW, that include the time spent notifying the court for a FTA.

PS: I just loathe Vandals an IMO the universal punishment should be having their feet nailed to a 12 inch 2 x 4, one on each foot.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting to see that he was surprised. Most judges I know have seen and expect the worst in human behavior. Keep us updated on the case.

posted Hide Post
One got picked up for another charge. Same judge let him out on an OR bond.

posted Hide Post
Yeah he has a family to support. LOL Locally, the jail docket for the county is online and you can check for priors quite easily. It comes in handy.

posted Hide Post
I was a Deputy in that county so I have a good idea what the entire family has been convicted of.

Fairly sure their mothers were meth heads when they were preggers and the boys don't have two brain cells to rub together.