SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    GM you’ve pissed me off with this Suburban!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM you’ve pissed me off with this Suburban!! Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
That’s why I stopped buying from the big 3. Their customers are used to having problems and think it is the norm. And I used to be one of them.

They made me a Toyota buyer.

My last 3 vehicles:
1997 4Runner 0 issues
2005 Tundra 0 issues
2014 Tundra 0 issues (knock on wood)
Next purchase, whenever that is, will be another Tundra.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Originally ponted by PowerSurge:
They’re known as Garbage Motors for a reason.

and FORD is known as"Fix or repair daily' or my favorite "Found on the road..DEAD"

Flipped Over Reservation Decoration

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GM 4WD trucks.

I like having tow haul, fog lights, back up alarm off, traction control settings and other stuff reset every time I turn the key off, even though there is a big warning that is easy to see on the cluster when I use the stuff. (sarcasm)

I REALLY like how there is only a dim little light on the four wheel drive indicator hidden by the shift lever, and how if I leave it in auto or 4WD it DOESN'T reset if I restart the vehicle, then later find out on dry pavement that it is still in 4WD when I hear the tires scrubbing and the gears groaning. (extreme sarcasm)

GM LOVES that if you leave it in auto or 4WD, you will eventually do damage to the tires, transfer case, and front differential not covered by warranty. (absolute truth)

Don't even get me started on how many DIFFERENT versions of the 8-speed transmission fluid there is with the SAME part number. What color stripe or lettering do I need on the f^%&^ing bottle so the damn thing doesn't shudder and mis-shift???

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I understand you did something to disable the cylinder deactivation. I've been seeing some problems with it. The engine will develop a miss on cylinders 1, 4, 6 or 7, first a small one that can easily be mistaken for a coil, spark plug wire, plug or injector, later becoming a dead miss when the lifter completely collapses and the intake valve stops opening. These lifters are a major chore on this engine. It does take quite a few miles to develop it, but is still needless complication. I haven't actually done this repair because (understandably) they didn't want to pay the bill.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I understand you did something to disable the cylinder deactivation. I've been seeing some problems with it. The engine will develop a miss on cylinders 1, 4, 6 or 7, first a small one that can easily be mistaken for a coil, spark plug wire, plug or injector, later becoming a dead miss when the lifter completely collapses and the intake valve stops opening. These lifters are a major chore on this engine. It does take quite a few miles to develop it, but is still needless complication. I haven't actually done this repair because (understandably) they didn't want to pay the bill.

I ordered a Range AFM last week and will not receive it until 5/26. I did a lot of reading online before ordering it. Some problems people reported had to do with power drain and check engine lights. This device is a plug in and when pulled out, leaves no trace it was there.
I know you are experienced in the automotive field and know what you are talking about. Why would keeping an engine running on all 8 cylinders be worse than letting it keep switching? Not questioning your answer, but trying to see if I would be damaging my truck by installing the disabliar. 98,000 on my truck, in very good condition.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure we're on the same page of the playbook. The problems I'm seeing are with the AFM per se, not with the "Range." I don't have personal experience with the device. I would make an educated guess, however, that if you stop the AFM lifters from constantly being activated/deactivated so they never collapse in the first place, they'd be a lot less likely to go bad. Only a lot of time and a lot of miles on a large sampling of trucks will tell.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure we're on the same page of the playbook. The problems I'm seeing are with the AFM per se, not with the "Range." I don't have personal experience with the device. I would make an educated guess, however, that if you stop the AFM lifters from constantly being activated/deactivated so they never collapse in the first place, they'd be a lot less likely to go bad. Only a lot of time and a lot of miles on a large sampling of trucks will tell.

I read it as well as the Range being the issue and not the AFM.
The AFM is heavily documented has causing lifter and oil consumption issues.

I bought the Range after Chevy told me the rumble in 4 cylinder mode is exactly how it should feel.
My reading, driving others, and asking others shows about half are as bad as mine and the other half are pretty seamless.
I am not sure the issue why some are seamless and others not.
There is also talk and a TSB in regard to motor mounts that they can’t get quite right either new or by shimming them so not sure if there is a correlation there or not.

I can say that with the Range plugged in the truck drives like an absolute dream!!!
If the Range is not plugged in stop and go traffic and driving around 35 mph is awful feels like you are on mile rumble strip.

I hope to get about 7 years and 100k miles out of this thing which will put it at 12 years old and 150k give or take.
There are plenty of these trucks out the with AFM that have the mileage and only suffer from oil consumption. Hopefully the Range will keep me operating well enough for that long.

We’ll see. Maybe in 7 years Toyota will wise up and give us an extended length SUV.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were saying the opposite.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post