SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Time to renew my Drivers license and CCW Permit...must do it in person at the DMV as new photos needed...can we say slow :-/
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to renew my Drivers license and CCW Permit...must do it in person at the DMV as new photos needed...can we say slow :-/ Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
I received my notices last month that I must appear in person this year to the DMV to renew both my TN drivers license and TN CCW, as new updated photos are needed and to make sure all my info is up to date. According to the letters, this is a TN Department Of Safety And Homeland Security requirement, and I'm good with that...every other time I have renewed them, it has been through the mail or online...

So...after a cup of coffee and Krispy Kreme donut...it's off to see the lizard...

When I got my call number ticket from the machine and the lady brought me the CCW renewal paperwork to fill out, I asked "any idea how long this might take"...she answered "Ohhhhhhhhh nottttttttttt longgggggggg" (I should have suspected something when I noticed the three large claws on each hand as she slowly gave me the clip board and pen..

What should have taken 30-45 minutes...ended up just shy of three and a half hours (and I arrived 40 minutes after they opened and the waiting room was really not that full)...I can't put the full blame on the 5 employees that moved at the speed of sloth (see meme) who had to spend more than a little of their sloth time dealing with several idiots that could not follow directions...

I know in the overall scheme of things...this is trivial and not much to rant about...but now I know why the DMV is the point of so many jokes Wink

Plus...the pictures they took are horrible...if I really look like that, I need to be hit in the head with an axe...

At least both my DL and CCW permit now last 8 years Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling.
About 5 years ago, we had a DMV office 2 miles from my house. It was a quick in and out, mom and pop run. They had another DMV about 8 miles away and another about 15 miles away.
2 of the 3 were closed, by the state. The 3rd moved further into the depths of the city, near the courthouse.
When you go now, you go right after a meal so you do not have to pack a lunch.
Of course you cannot carry into one and it is one place where it seems you might need one.
A real struggle getting anything done there.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I received my notices last month that I must appear in person this year to the DMV to renew both my TN drivers license and TN CCW, as new updated photos are needed and to make sure all my info is up to date. According to the letters, this is a TN Department Of Safety And Homeland Security requirement, and I'm good with that...every other time I have renewed them, it has been through the mail or online...

On the bright side, it sounds like your new DL is Real ID compliant so the TSA will hassle you less. And you can visit military bases with fewer hassles.

My IA DL is GTG for Real ID, I think the star in the upper right corner is proof of that.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should have opted for the TN Lifetime Carry Permit......

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

What makes no sense to me is that you have to show them your birth certificate for every little thing, never mind that you're renewing the same license that you already showed them the BC to get.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
We must be lucky in Georgia. Every DMV office I’ve ever used has been super efficient.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Feb 28, the last day to pay property taxes without penalty my wife & I journeyed to Nashville Metro Trustees office. We were going to sign up for the Senior Property Tax Freeze & I expected a long wait. In & out in 10 minutes including interview & completion of application. By far the most efficient government office I had ever been in.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was just at the DMV the other day to do the tax/title/license for my new car. In and out in under 30 minutes.

I've never had to wait very long, provided I timed it right. Don't go on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon. Don't go the first week of the month, or the last week of the month. Don't go during the lunch hour. I always go mid-morning, mid-week, mid-month, and never have any issues.

But you can do about 50% of the normal DMV type stuff online now. And they have self-serve kiosks at the DMV to take care of this simple stuff, for those who don't have internet access. So that has helped to keep lines down. You really only have to wait in line if you're getting a new ID card, or registering a new vehicle.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a crummy way to spend a day to me. My last trip included a new license and I think I was still out in 20 minutes or so. Took longer for them to print the license than to do anything else. Picture is also horrid. I think it's just what they are taught to do.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy!
Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy!
Oy! Oy! Oy!

See me holding a numbered ticket
In my weary hand
I'm watching my life drag by
Don't you understand
People forever in front of me
Been hear since first light
Ain't got no hope
Ain't got no chance
And now it's almost night

I'm at the DMV, Please expidite
DMV, and I'll stay the night
DMV, I'm standing by
DMV, I'll probably die

I'm dirty, starved, I'm unabashed
I have cash in hand
Who has ticket number one
Want a grand?
So pack up a suitcase
Pack up your life
Put your house up for sale
Say goodbye to your wife
Take a number, go sit down
You will be melting down

At the DMV, I'm here all night
DMV, I got no life
DMV, I'm on overload
DMV, I'm just gonna code

DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
Please expidite
DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
and I'll stay the night
DMV
Oy! Oy! Oy!
I'm standing by
DMV, I'll probably die!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I thought I was going to have to renew at the DMV last year, as Virginia says you can only renew online every other time.

Imagine my surprise when it went through online anyway, and my new ID was in the mail a few days later. Woo Hoo!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine my surprise when it went through online anyway,

I'll have to remember to try the online method when my license needs renewing! :-)

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Got to love VA DMV's numbering system ("take a number"). They are not sequential, but based on a set of guidelines such as how complex your transaction is, etc. So, you can sit in your seat and watch the numbers being called, but have no idea when yours is coming up. Cannot step out for smoke or cup of coffee, because you might be next, but you cannot discern that from the numbers being called.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Got to love VA DMV's numbering system ("take a number"). They are not sequential, but based on a set of guidelines such as how complex your transaction is, etc. So, you can sit in your seat and watch the numbers being called, but have no idea when yours is coming up. Cannot step out for smoke or cup of coffee, because you might be next, but you cannot discern that from the numbers being called.

Virginia's DMV used to be analogous to the Eighth Circle of Hell back in the 70's. With no one to assist with forms you filled what you ass-umed was needed and waited in line only to be rebuffed by a sluggard who demanded another form and sent you back to the end of the line. Missed an entry or signature? Back to the end of the line. I'm sure that most patrons had torture fantasies that would embarrass the Spanish inquisitors going through their minds during the wait.

Somewhere in the late? 1980s, after constant complaints, VA overhauled the system. A check-in person to determine forms, missing info, etc. helped keep waiting in line to a minimum. The computerized number system started out as first-come, first served and flowed quickly. You were even allowed to address missing info and go back to the counter. Virginia's DMV got a lot better. The ability to do online transactions, renewals, etc. was a Godsend.

I don't know when they instituted the new "smart" queuing but it sure seems slower now. I was there in July and it took an hour to get to the counter to transfer title and plates but not many customers were there. I still remember when around 2009 that cork-soaking icehole Timmay! Kaine purposely cut back resources to DMVs and rest stops to exaggerate budget issues. Luckily I didn't have a need for a DMV trip at that time but I heard a lot of complaints. If Timmay! was on fire I would mug a homeless guy for his cardboard sign so I could fan the flames.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently had to redo mine here in Vegas. They have concession stands there for a reason.
Numbering system similar to what HenryAZ outlined but they do post numbers one the numerous screens. Problem is, the numbers and how they process them make zero sense.
I picked a rainy day here (only the brave go out) and was able to get it done in about 90 minutes.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It would appear that some of the flyover States are well ahead of the game. South Dakota's drivers license is good for 5 years. Last renewal required I bring in the prescribed documentation to comply with federal identity guidelines. The license subsequently was marked with a "gold star" signifying validated identification.

I received a renewal notice 5 months ahead of my license expiration. It allowed me to renew either (1) in person at DMV, (2) by mail, or (3) online. Only nit was that for folks over 65 you had to submit an eye exam report conducted within the last 6 months signed by your optometrist. Luckily my last exam met the requirement and my doc's office already had the state form. Bingo, uploaded everything online including a credit card for the renewal fee. Painless! Expecting my new plastic in a few weeks. Smile

I still have some time to go on my CCW. That will require a visit to my local sheriff's office for renewal. No biggie as the process there is quick and easy.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
It would appear that some of the flyover States are well ahead of the game. South Dakota's drivers license is good for 5 years.

AZ's license is good until you are 65. Get it when you're 20, and it is good for 45 years. At age 65, you have to have the vision test every 5 years.

I got the "gold star", though AZ makes it optional and charges an extra $25 for it. The legislature mandated that AZ would not comply with the federal program, when it was first birthed. They now offer the optional ones for those who need them.

I understand the valley (Phoenix) MVD's are pretty well jammed up like most, but we have a hidden gem here in out-of-the-way Wickenburg. MVD office with 4 clerks, hardly any, if any, waiting. I do my business there, in person by choice, just to visit with them. That's about all they have to do. Smile

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
AZ's license is good until you are 65. Get it when you're 20, and it is good for 45 years.

Holy cripe! I scratch my head wondering just how that is such a good idea if for nothing else that the picture becomes useless impugning the license as a viable ID.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I just spent the better part of a week dealing (trying) with our DMV. Pure giant sized MCF.

And all I wanted to do was register boat and trailer I purchased a while back. About $500 later and 3 new ulcers I got it done.

And both boat and trailer are 1997s.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post