SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DirecTV Channel Packages - Arrrrrgh!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DirecTV Channel Packages - Arrrrrgh! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The discount that a SF member turned us on to has expired and that plus the AT&T takeover means my bill goes back into the freakin' stratosphere.

Pulled up their package comparison matrix and listed all the channels we'd lose if I went from our current "Xtra" package to the cheapest package.

We'd "lose" 90-ish channels, and not surprisingly 80 of them we (she, I almost never watch TV at all, I stream Netflix and Prime) never watch in the first place.

But, devious bastiges that they are, there are 4 or 5 that are deal breakers and ONLY available in the Xtra package.

Plus, even biting the bullet and going with the cheapest package, we'd only save about $40 a month. I'd need to save WAY more than that to put up with the bitching.

FML...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you are already streaming a lot, why not just ditch the DTV dish and go with DTV Now or Sling?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
What about Dish? My discount also ran out, however I have another issue with Direct that will cause me to look elsewhere. If you call back to the DTV folks they will probably re-instate the discount for another year.

Dish has a decent entry level package. I think that's what I am going to go with.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
If you are already streaming a lot, why not just ditch the DTV dish and go with DTV Now or Sling?

Two reasons:

1. My DSL handles one person streaming reasonably well. (I'm the only one that does internet in the house). Trying to stream to two separate devices simultaneously would cause serious lag, if not crash it entirely.

2. Trying to teach Mrs. PHPaul to deal with streaming/internet/a new remote would be...interesting.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My Dish bill is almost back to $70/month for barely above basic. So close to convincing the wife to cancel it....

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As a DishTV subscriber, just be aware that Dish is in an on-going disagreement with Time-Warner/AT&T which owns HBO and Cinemax, and which is DirectTV. This continuing disagreement centers around the on-line streaming capabilities of other companies offering viewing services over the Internet.

Dish refuses to be forced into charging customers for services that are not wanted or not used by their subscribers. As such, HBO & Cinemax (AT&T) have pulled their channels from DishTV on November 1, 2018 and there has been no movement forward to resolve this impasse that I am aware of. As such, if this disagreement continues, then viewing the last season of Game of Thrones might become critical.

The DishTV offering of replacement channels instead of HBO & Cinemax has been less than satisfactory to me as a subscriber, and this “viewing war” is getting really old. Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Yeah. As a Dish subscriber I miss the HBO on demand offerings. HBO series from the past like The Wire, Deadwood, Generation Kill etc. always fill in the gaps when looking for something to watch. I wish this could get worked out.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
viewing the last season of Game of Thrones might become critical.

If that's how it goes down, there are alternatives.

HBO Now is how I've been watching GoT. I wait till the season is done, sign up for HBO Now, watch the season via streaming, then cancel. I think that nets out to about $15 for the one month minimum account.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Screen addiction.

That's what current society suffers from. If it isn't our phones, it's our tablets, computers or televisions.

I "cut the cord" on the premium channels (HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc.) two years ago. And I don't miss 'em.

If there's something I want to see, I'll wait till I can get it from RedBox or Amazon Prime. I have Netflix, but find I go up and down with finding content there I like.

I do a lot more walking, photo taking and guitar playing these days than I used to.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I left Direct TV when my bill went nuts and moved to DISH. After my rate was locked in for two years I moved back to Direct TV. I hated that I could only record two programs at once, but figured I could handle it for a year. Moved to a new house and my neighbors 30 foot tall tree blocked my signal for Direct and they let me out of my contract and so I had to go with Spectrum Cable. Cable has still had a few outages, but isn't that bad.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Can't you get OTA channels? Get an HD antenna for your attic...?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Also, you can rent (free) DVD movies from the local library. Our small library has hundreds of DVDs.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Can't you get OTA channels? Get an HD antenna for your attic...?

Nope. Nearest transmitter is 70-ish miles away, over nasty terrain.