SIGforum
Prednisone

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3040030334

November 11, 2017, 12:15 PM
vthoky
Prednisone
Good grief.

An allergic reaction of some sort led me to the doc's office this past week, and then to the pharmacy for a week's worth of Prednisone.

I'm not sure if it's directly related (could be -- I've looked up the side effects), but my head feels awful. The effect seems to take hold quickly after taking the day's dose.

I wanted to skip today's dose, but knew I shouldn't. I'm almost regretting that right now. Ugh.

God bless America.
November 11, 2017, 12:17 PM
newtoSig765
Hang in there. Prednisone is the Devil's own invention.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
November 11, 2017, 12:20 PM
swani
Just came off that crap for a bad sinus infection. Bad medicine for me raised my blood pressure and had palpitations

Guns-I have some
November 11, 2017, 12:20 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Prednisone is the Devil's own invention.

I believe Mom would agree with you 100%. It treats her even worse!

God bless America.
November 11, 2017, 12:49 PM
RAMIUS
Yeah, prednisone sucks.

The worst side effect other than the physical feelings, is that it lowers the immune system.

A while back, a doc gave me high dose prednisone for what he thought was an allergic reaction, and it actually made a mild secondary infection extremely bad.
November 11, 2017, 12:58 PM
Riley
I lucked out. The couple times I’ve had it, it worked great other than making it slightly harder to sleep and a crazy hunger. It was worth it. I avoid anything Rx, and even over the counter, to the best I can still though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
November 11, 2017, 12:58 PM
pwelch001
Yes, I've had friends that had some wicked side effects from that. Be safe my friend, I hope you feel better.
November 11, 2017, 01:10 PM
djpaintles
Prednison helped me gain control over my Asthma. It needs to taken carefully as it can has side effects as some here have noted. I took it for a short time and moved on to a lighter steroid. ALL medicines should be taken only after careful consideration of their possible side effects vs possible benefits.......dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
November 11, 2017, 02:34 PM
Oz_Shadow
Prednisone actually makes me feel really good. Lots of energy.
November 11, 2017, 02:46 PM
Too much leads to liver cancer. Bad stuff.

November 11, 2017, 03:17 PM
smschulz
I had two dogs that was on it > a miserable existence. Frown
November 11, 2017, 05:38 PM
hudr
I was on 60mg a day for a year to get my sarcoidosis under control. Then I was on 10mg a day, lifetime they say.
Doctors are now saying that is what caused my AVN in my right hip.
And I don’t heal like I used to. Bit my cheek several months ago, didn’t heal until I cut my steroid dose in half.
It’s a godsend in the short term, but it will wreck your body in the long run.
November 11, 2017, 06:42 PM
sigmonkey
I had ITP, platelet count was undetectable and they did a "hand count", less than 1000, and put me on 200MG a day IV for a week in ICU, then moved me to a regular room once they got my count up to about 8k. Another 3 weeks as they tapered me to 80mg a day, and finally I got to 12,000 after another three weeks, and even though they did not want to release me at the 12k count, I did not want to stay in the hospital any longer.

I was on 80 a day for almost a year, and when my platelet count finally started rising about 12k they started tapering me off and I was off just short of a year.

It wasted my muscle mass and strentght, increased the rate of hearing loss and ruined my eyesight.

I also had issues with fybromalgia that were worsened and have acute and chronic connective tissue pain.

While I was on it, I felt like a constant vibration, and every once in a while, I get the same sensation, typically when I have overworked physically.

I had a voracious appetite and only slept about 4 hours a day.

And I had some wild mood swings and onset of emotion that was like flipping a light switch.

Wait went from 165 to 205.

But, it did keep me alive until my body could sort itself out. The doctors wanted to remove my spleen and give me all sorts of different drug treatments to fix the platelet issue, but most of them were low % "fix" and high mortality or other permanent and not fun side effects.

So I figured I would get better or croak, but I had no desire to either be a calender filler for a bunch of medical people nor lab rat.

Dropped the weight in about 90 days.

I would not wish this on anyone I cared about, and would have to consider case by case for people I don't.

Oh. and if long term, never stop taking the daily dose, especially of you take enough to stop your bodies adrenal function of producing steroids. It can promote you to former living status, PDQ.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
November 12, 2017, 09:57 AM
vthoky
Time for today's dose... let's see what happens!

Thank you all for your stories and input. I'll be paying closer attention to the potential side and long-term effects.

God bless America.
November 12, 2017, 04:37 PM
I take Quercetin in the spring doing hay fever time.

http://www.lifeextension.com/M.../4/Quercetin/Page-01

November 12, 2017, 04:42 PM
vthoky
Thank you for that link, 41. (Strangely, I want a glass of wine now....)

Where do you find the stuff?

God bless America.
November 12, 2017, 05:53 PM
PorterN
i just hated the taste of it - tasting it all damn day. I was on and off of Prednisone for a few years in high school. Yuck.

November 12, 2017, 07:01 PM
henryaz

I get a short course of it (a "six pack") once every 4 months. It helps my sciatica a bit, and the two weeks relief is something I would not have otherwise.

November 12, 2017, 07:30 PM
Syngin1066
One of my friends has horrible migraines and the doctors cannot seem to figure out what triggers them or how to stop them. He is in his mid 30’s and had this issue his entire life. A new doctor said he was over medicated and needed to “detox”. They put him on a dose of prednisone, he went a month headache free. He didn’t sleep worth a damn though.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...
November 12, 2017, 07:35 PM
Black92LX
I take it at the 1st sign of getting poison ivy and my wife goes to stay at her parents.
It does not disturb my sleep or give me the jitters it just makes me extremely irritable and I know it but can't be anything but grumbly.
I get poison ivy so bad (my eyes generally swell shut) I have no choice but to take it.

Long term use can have some seriously wicked outcomes. Unfortunately my mother had to take high doses for awhile while I was in High School and she spent months in the hospital while the docs were trying to figure out what is wrong.
It completely changed her taste pallet and her soft nonconfrontational personality is long gone.
Growing up she would shy away from any sort of confrontation and now she heads straight for it like a raging bull. Which at times is not a bad thing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!