SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Texas Roadhouse
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Roadhouse Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The one near me is excellent. The service tends to be prompt, the beer is cold and fresh, and the steaks excellent. I am a fan of the 11 oz. sirloin special on Sunday night. It always comes exactly as I ask for it; and the accompanying salad is always fresh and cool.

I've had other stuff there as well, including the fried chicken, catfish dinner, chicken fried steak, roasted chicken, steak tips, and prime rib. The prime rib was a bit fatty, but otherwise delicious.

I can't complain, as the prices are very reasonable. It's not Morton's or Ruth's Chris, but the local one is well run and worth the money.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bennigans

Now there's a name I have not heard in a looong time... Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fiance and I go on occasion, usually for their early dine meals ($8.99 for an entree and two sides before 6PM) or Wild West Wednesday ($9.99 8oz. sirloin and two sides). It's worth it at that price.

What cracks me up is that the servers always church shit up and refer to everything by gimmicky names, asking if I want "an ice cold Bud Light," or any of their "made from scratch sides." Give me a break...and a basket of bread and cinnamon butter, please.

I see lots of people mentioning Olive Garden in here. My brother always refers to Olive Garden as "high class food for low class people." I've always liked that saying.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've been to a local Texas Roadhouse three times. Once was with a large group for a co-worker's going away lunch a few years ago. He liked the place and picked it. The other two times I was meeting a friend who passes through Mobile from time to time for work. Both times he wanted to meet at Texas Roadhouse since it was convenient for him. I've had ribeye steak twice, and it was pretty good both times. Nothing exceptional but no complaints. The time I went for lunch, I had a burger and it was overcooked on a dry bun that fell apart. Each time the place was very crowded, which I can't figure out since we have a lot of restaurant choices around here. It was also a bit louder than I like, closer to a bar than a restaurant. I had no problems with the service. Again, nothing special but no complaints.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I won't eat a steak made by anyone but myself anymore, made that mistake too many times. Ruth Cris is about the only place I'll eat steak out. I can make a better steak in my sleep than any of the steakhouse/roadhouse places.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That is a fluke. I haven't ever had a bad experience there. It is probably because the cooks are new.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Their salads are pretty good, and I hate salad.
I used to live near one and my experiences there were generally positive.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Only slightly better and more reliable than the Sizzler in Athens, TN where I found a 3-inch piece of broken off hypodermic needle in my steak. The business end, if it matters.

Just hard to find a good $5 steak I guess. Frown

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I won't eat a steak made by anyone but myself anymore, made that mistake too many times. Ruth Cris is about the only place I'll eat steak out. I can make a better steak in my sleep than any of the steakhouse/roadhouse places.

I am the same way, I only buy Prime steaks and usually get them ridiculously cheap at Costco when they're trying to push certain cuts (usually either NY strip or Ribeye), have bought the whole slab or either for $10lb or less for Prime. I do enjoy Ruth Chris as a favorite though.

I have eaten at a Texas Ribeye in Texas and the ribeye steak was fairly good, not great, but wasn't at Ruth Chris prices or quality either. I'd go back if I was in the mood for that. But wouldn't seek one out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I have to eat out often (travel for work) and have come to the realization that 90% of Americans don't know how to cook themselves a decent or better meal.

I agree. Not to mention that many people like Olive Garden and their microwaved/heated meals.
People who say “Olive Garden” in response to “lets go to an Italian place” are the same people who say “Taco Bell” in response to “Mexican”.

I mean I have no qualms about saving some bucks on the road and heating up something cheap in the hotel, but if you are going to the effort to go out to eat, at least find a decent place to spend your money.

Same goes for steaks - but honestly if I want a great steak, I stay home - have a better steak for less money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Only been once, and that was to the one in Tucson (yes on W Irvington). Other than everything too salty, our steaks were fine. It was way better than a recent experience at Outback. Had a filet both times; the TS filet was cooked just right and very tasty; the one at Outback was not at all of the same caliber.
We'll go again but ask for no extra salt. Oh and service was excellent.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have to eat out often (travel for work) and have come to the realization that 90% of Americans don't know how to cook themselves a decent or better meal.

I agree. Not to mention that many people like Olive Garden and their microwaved/heated meals.
People who say “Olive Garden” in response to “lets go to an Italian place” are the same people who say “Taco Bell” in response to “Mexican”.

I mean I have no qualms about saving some bucks on the road and heating up something cheap in the hotel, but if you are going to the effort to go out to eat, at least find a decent place to spend your money.

Same goes for steaks - but honestly if I want a great steak, I stay home - have a better steak for less money.

TLDR - buy chips

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My parents like Olive Garden and it drives me crazy because if we go out to dinner and They want decent Italian I’m thinking carrabas, but they’d rather have Olive Garden... Olive Garden is not that much cheaper than carrabas and it’s not near as good.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've never eaten at Carrabas but the nearest one to us is across the street from a trattoria that is excellent. Wife wanted Italian food for dinner one night so I looked in our area. There was a Carrabas and Stefano's Trattoria. Tried the small place and haven't found a reason to go elsewhere.

I personally don't mind Texas Roadhouse. Love their bread, though. I usually get a burger there. You have to adjust your expectations, though.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The food and service isn’t that great but I could sit there and eat 12 dozen of those yeast rolls.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
We go to Texas Roadhouse every couple of months. Their steaks are hit-&-miss, usually a bit over-cooked vs what was ordered. Ask for medium rare, get medium.
They do have a very good chicken fried steak or chicken.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:
We go to Texas Roadhouse every couple of months. Their steaks are hit-&-miss, usually a bit over-cooked vs what was ordered. Ask for medium rare, get medium.
They do have a very good chicken fried steak or chicken.

I have never had a worse chicken fried steak than the one from Texas Roadhouse. Never. Not even from Dennys or a million other $5 family restaurants. This one was full of gristle.. I couldn't eat half of it.

Everyones experiences may be quite different, but my wife and I are in agreeent, never again. Even my co-workers said it's hit or miss, you may get a meal that's OK or one that is inedible. For the life of me I can't see why they are busy.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Cracker Barrel has a very good chicken fried chicken. That's my go to meal there along with corn, sweet mini carrots and greens. And I still have room for dessert after that. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
I travel for a stint of about 12-15 weeks straight per year.... all over the lower 48 .... inevitably I end up settling for one of the places at least once or twice before I learn my lesson.

Best it tends to get in my experience is about mediocre.

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Noisy eating estabishments with mediocre food just don’t appeal to me anymore. I agree with Skins2881 and jimmy123x about sticking with home cooked steak. Prime cuts of beef are the way to go. As for chicken fried steak, there’s only one place to get a good one, and that’s at Mary’s Cafe in Strawn, Texas.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post