SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hertz rental cars----Don't!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hertz rental cars----Don't!!!! Login/Join 
posted
Recently took a trip to Arizona, we flew out and found since we were late because of our flight, that our Jeep was no longer available through Fox. So in desperation, we were sent to Hertz.

FUCK THEM!!!!!!!!!!

Charged us for smoking in the vehicle, not done. And to end all beefs, charged us with pet hair in the Jeep!! $400.00 when neither was committed ( who fly's with pets?) Fuck Hertz to the MAX!!!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dispute with your credit card and write a letter of complaint. Specify that you want those charges removed. I have had success with this approach.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Last time I went with Hertz the clerk tried to ding me for damage to the front bumper.

It had been a good long while since someone tried that on me.

So, I whipped out my phone and showed then the pictures of the vehicle I had taken when I picked it up. That cleared things up quickly.

I guess I will be taking pictures on the inside now too.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for Enterprise. As soon as you pick up your car, before you leave the lot, walk around it it while shooting video on your phone. Outside and in. Be very wary of picking up a car in the rain, as it can conceal damage.
Any problems, file a dispute with your Credit Card.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Lookout for fuel refill charges - all rental car companies----now almost all agencies e-mail the receipt---so you don't see the charge on the spot.

Last trip with Avis - I get the "printer not working---it's in e-mail". Clerk's poor luck - e-mail hit my phone as I'm standing there - with a full-tank obscene fuel charge. I say you looked right at the gauge---it's full---remove it now. "Oh you have to go to the desk for that"

I went to the desk-----they argued with me--"do you have a fuel receipt (I did)". So in retribution - I filed a complaint with AVIS Corp - the local BBB - and every travel board I could find. Even sent a fraud complaint to the FBI for fun!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enterprise "charged" me with some bogus shit in Phx. I disputed the charges and they went away.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to add National Car Rental into this discussion. Recent trip to Houston, returned rental to airport, walk around with the National guy, got a receipt. Next day, I get an email from the Damage Recovery Unit (DRU). Still waiting on pics of the "damage"

Posts: 511 | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Lookout for fuel refill charges - all rental car companies----now almost all agencies e-mail the receipt---so you don't see the charge on the spot.

Last trip with Avis - I get the "printer not working---it's in e-mail". Clerk's poor luck - e-mail hit my phone as I'm standing there - with a full-tank obscene fuel charge. I say you looked right at the gauge---it's full---remove it now. "Oh you have to go to the desk for that"

I went to the desk-----they argued with me--"do you have a fuel receipt (I did)". So in retribution - I filed a complaint with AVIS Corp - the local BBB - and every travel board I could find. Even sent a fraud complaint to the FBI for fun!

I just had this happen with Budget at RDU. They had 70 cars lined up in the return and nobody checking cars in, so I found a vehicle cleaning guy and he told me to leave it with keys in it and they'd take care of it. They took 3 more days to charge my credit card and there was a $89.92 charge. Charged me for fuel when I returned it full. Took me a 20 minute phone call to figure out what the charge was for, and then 3 emails to straighten it out. Biggest waste of my time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had any issues with Hertz. We rented from them twice this year, no problems at all. FWIW, we did not smoke in the car or transport pets.

Edited to add: I have Hertz Gold status.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Car rental agencies appear to be a license to steal. For a few years, I worked with a guy at a bank. He was a competent loan officer but his demanding wife drove him to change jobs frequently to get a few more dollars. Soon, he was unemployable in the industry due to job hopping.

Next he got into the car rental business at one of the airports. He became buddies with a guy who owned a glass business. They would make up phoney bills for busted windshields and bill customers a week or so after they dropped off their rental. Naturally the glass was just fine and they'd split the money. They did it enough that the FBI did a sting and caught them. He went to prison for a while. She moved on.

He should have stayed at the bank and dumped the greedy bitch. Too bad. I liked the guy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get automatic Gold status at Hertz from my employer and have not had any trouble, but I don't rent cars very often.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I get automatic Gold status at Hertz from my employer and have not had any trouble, but I don't rent cars very often.

I have to wonder if being a member of the rental program regardless of "status" makes it less likely they'll try and screw with you. At my last job we frequently rented cars (company reimbursed) so I signed up for AVIS and Hertz which were the most prevalent. Never had an issue with false damage or other claims. Not that it ever stopped anyone but you'd think they'd be more careful about pissing off regular customers than the one-off renter.

And if you're getting charged for gas, most companies now have an option to pre purchase a full tank when you get the car as a "courtesy", so you don't have to worry about it on return. For some strange reason it seems to be automatically selected a lot of times so you have to tell them to take it off. Imagine that!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While moving I rented a few cars at Enterprise. A couple of times got a car with filthy windows and received $20 discount from Manager.

Every rental I got never had a full tank of gas, however, I always fill up the gas tank before dropping off the rental.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hertz is garbage. We used them at my last job from 2007-12 before switching to National.

Because I started that job when I was 22, they charged the company an additional $30/day for me to rent cars. Because of this extra money, I climbed the status ladder pretty fast and was at the top tier of their program but couldn't get free upgrades because of my age.

One trip to Ontario they upgraded me to some Buick but when processing the paperwork they saw my age, told me the "Buick was too good for me" and put me in a Corolla. I was never one to beat on rentals but that one got thrashed. Hertz can go to hell.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

I have to wonder if being a member of the rental program regardless of "status" makes it less likely they'll try and screw with you. At my last job we frequently rented cars (company reimbursed) so I signed up for AVIS and Hertz which were the most prevalent. Never had an issue with false damage or other claims. Not that it ever stopped anyone but you'd think they'd be more careful about pissing off regular customers than the one-off renter.

And if you're getting charged for gas, most companies now have an option to pre purchase a full tank when you get the car as a "courtesy", so you don't have to worry about it on return. For some strange reason it seems to be automatically selected a lot of times so you have to tell them to take it off. Imagine that!

No, I have been a Budget corporate commercial customer (business account) for 20 years, and they just screwed with me as mentioned on my previous post. Pretty easy to figure out the gas gauge is pegged on full or not.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Hertz has been ok for me. Car got hit in the parking lot, not a problem when I returned it. Enterprise..car reeked of pot, couldn't get another, it also had a low tire. Sprayed it with air freshener, put air in the tire. After a few days it wasn't so bad.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Rented from Enterprise. Did the walk around, check fuel level etc. the salesman pulled out the rental agreement and started checking boxes he stayed out in the cold saying he wanted to get me on my way.
I called it, took the agreement and sat at a desk. Just going over the check boxes meant they would have cost me more then the rental.We redid the agreement.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I always start a bodycam from the counter to the car and do a walkaround.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have had pretty good luck w Hertz (have the United club card so it gets me Presidents Club fwiw). Usually out of RDU.

I had a rental that I picked up and a couple hours later I notices that the previous renter screwed up the front bumper and taped it in place with clear packing tape. Called / took it back and they gave me a new rental and a $50 coupon.

On another occasion, I picked up a car in Hickory. I told them at the rental counter it only had half a tank of gas but they were too busy to include that in the record at the time. They said they would amend the record. Dont let them ever pull that on you. Watch them do it on the spot however long it takes. It never made it on the record and I got billed $150 for half a tank of gas when I returned it half empty as it was when I got it.

Three phone calls to Hertz and then disputed with my credit card and like 4 months later it finally got resolved.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Enterprise, never had any problems, I'm sure it's just a matter of time however. What really annoys me is that despite my status in their rewards program and 2-4 rentals a month, I always get the rundown on EVERYTHING they have to offer. I wish their app would just let me chose what I wanted for extras and quickly get in and out. Instead it's a 20 minute sales pitch every time.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post