SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Alaska has a serious problem with problem drinkers. Legislature has made it so judges can prohibit a person from purchasing alcohol. When this happens their ID is swapped for one with a red stripe. The crazy thing is that stores and restaurants aren't required to check everyone's ID for red stripe, but stores/restaurants can sue a person with red stripe (who violates their alcohol restriction in their restaurant/store) in civil court for $1,000,reasonable court costs, and reasonable attorney fees.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
You had to pull your ID out? Oh, poor you. Is there anything we can do for the butthurt you feel? Roll Eyes

OK Pale Ass we're talking ID'ing people to prevent 20 year olds and under from buying alcohol.

I AM OVER 60!

Why do this?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
You had to pull your ID out? Oh, poor you. Is there anything we can do for the butthurt you feel? Roll Eyes

OK Pale Ass we're talking ID'ing people to prevent 20 year olds and under from buying alcohol.

I AM OVER 60!

Why do this?

You want the real reason? The real reason is because we don't want to pay $25 an hour for cashiers at grocery stores. Minimum wage employees are not always the most dependable employees. The head office simply can't control the quality of every single cashier that gets hired at the local level. If they allowed minimum wage workers to make judgement calls then at least one would let a 20 year old buy alcohol because they thought they looked old enough and probably more than one would let their friends buy alcohol because they don't care about losing their shitty minimum wage job. Making them scan every ID takes the responsibility out of the hands of those who simply don't deserve it.

You want to not have to pull your ID out? Fine. Shop at the place that only employees people who are worth more than minimum wage. That bottle of bourbon you stole is probably going to cost a little more though so that they can afford to pay for that person.

If you want to pay low prices then you have to be willing to deal with the low wage employees and necessary rules that come with them.

FWIW I am 40 and never get carded at my local liquor store. But there are three employees and they all know me. The larger warehouse stores always ask for Id every single time. I don't care because, well I mean it really just is not a big deal to pull out my ID, but also because it costs anywhere from 3-6 bucks less for my bourbon depending on which one I go to. It is worth the savings to have to do a terribly minor thing.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And we'll all pay a few cents more per bottle next time to cover the cost for the "free" one you took.

Enjoy the 4 Roses, it is really good...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post

I AM OVER 60!

Why do this?

quote:
posted by Pale Horse:

...You want the real reason? The real reason is because we don't want to pay $25 an hour for cashiers at grocery stores....

OK THAT'S the reason, thanks.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 71. We were in CA recently and I got carded everytime. I just smiled and said."Bless you"

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I always like to give them the line that "I was legally buying liquor before you were born. Do you still want to card me?" Usually they don't bother.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I frequently get carded.....I'm 55 and look every freakin minute of of it.

Change what you can....What you can't....

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'll bet a shiny new nickel that Mr. ridewv has not been carded for at least twenty years if he decides to have a drink at a bar, or a beer or glass of wine with dinner at a restaurant, but he has to show ID to buy booze at a store. This makes absolutely no sense. They have it backwards. When buying for on-premises consumption, there is always the possibility that the drinker will then leave, driving a vehicle. When buying a take-home bottle, the seller has no idea who is actually going to consume it. The sixty year old buyer could be fronting for a teenager.

Some of the grocery stores around here have signs posted at the checkout register, stating that if the cashier thinks that you look younger than forty, you will be asked for ID. I usually bitch at them if they don't ask me for ID, because that implies that they think I look older than forty.

I will never allow a store to scan my driver license. There is too much information on it.

The store does not need, or in other words I do not want them to have, my address. None of their business.

If they absolutely need to see proof of age via a government issued ID, I will show them my Passport Card. It has my name, my photo, and my date of birth, and not much more.

It has been many years since I have been carded for alcohol, but recently the local Walmart stores have started requiring ID for all ammunition purchases. Last time I bought a box of .38 SPL there (I don't shoot enough of that to mail-order it in bulk, and certainly not enough to handload it), I asked the clerk to take a good look at me and decide whether I am 21 or older (I will be 82 in a couple of months). She just shrugged and said that the register would not process the sale without entering a birth date. OK, store policy, not the clerk's fault, I showed her my passport card and we kept going.

I have never had to include a copy of proof of age for any online ammunition purchase, all I ever needed to do was to check the box on the form that said I was old enough, and legal to make the purchase.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody is kinda judgy. If you pay the price that is asked, its not theft. The items were rung up by the cashier, and paid for.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At 60, I'm pretty obviously over 21. But the store employee is only following policy, at the risk of getting fired. I'd do the same thing in his or her place. If you want to complain, take it higher up the food chain.

Besides being the cheapest. Razz But I'm sure they're violating the law big time.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Someplace along the line, common sense took a short break and never came back.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Some of the grocery stores around here have signs posted at the checkout register, stating that if the cashier thinks that you look younger than forty, you will be asked for ID. I usually bitch at them if they don't ask me for ID, because that implies that they think I look older than forty.

So you bitch at cashiers when they ask you for ID and you bitch at them when they don’t?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

So you bitch at cashiers when they ask you for ID and you bitch at them when they don’t?
Nope, I don't really "bitch" at them. If they ask for ID, I ask "really?" and show it, with humor.

If they don't ask for it, I might say, "What? You're not going to card me?" This, with a smile, not giving them a hard time. I rarely buy alcohol anyway, so this is not a common situation.

As far as ammunition at Walmart, the first time it happened, I asked the cashier if she really thought I did not look older than 21. She explained that a software update for their register system now required that they enter a confirmed birth date for ammunition purchases. I understood that this is a decision that was made way above the cashier's pay grade, so no point even discussing common sense or the lack thereof with her. Now, if I buy ammunition there, I present my passport card right along with my credit card, without even being asked.

It would not be to my advantage to have Walmart's right to sell ammunition, revoked.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
When I was in the nightclub business nobody got past the front door without a valid government issued ID. Nothing expired, no employee IDs, no utility bills. Didn't matter if you were 21 or 121.

No ID, no entry.

I'm sure many here didn't read it because it was somewhat long and used big words, but I already posted the law that pertains to exactly why the OP was asked for his ID.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I hope she didn't get fired for her till coming up short...

Posts: 33748 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Per the OP, the cashier rang up an item and collected that amount. How would her till be short?

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Per the OP, the cashier rang up an item and collected that amount. How would her till be short?

It’s probably the inventory guy that will catch it. The loss will be written off as “shrinkage” and then the price will go up on everything to cover it.

Posts: 6297 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I completely understand carding anyone who even appears like they could be under 30, which allows a 9 year cushion, but carding senior citizens just seems like a pointless waste of time.

Unfortunately the Kroger I go to doesn't sell liquor but anytime I buy wine there the cashiers just look at me, key in some date most likely, and continue on scanning the next item.
If they had to scan the driver's license of every person over 30 every time there was a 6-pack of beer or bottle of wine in the buggy they'd probably need to hire more cashiers.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The OP mentioned "scanning" his DL

Here in PA, at places like Wegmans, we can now buy buy beer and wine, but the PA Liquor Control Board has it set up that the cashier MUST take your DL and scan it before they can make the sale. Doesn't matter if you are 21 or 91. No DL? No sale.

I wonder if that was the case here?

Posts: 33748 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post