SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Stop at Giant Eagle which is a grocery store that happens to sell liquor in our area. I grab two bottles of bourbon, Evan Williams Single Barrel $32.99 and splurge on a 4 Roses Single Barrel which is around $44. The check-out lady, whom I've never seen there before, say's "ID please" as she starts ringing me up (I'm 65 years old with gray hair!)

"Why would you need an ID from me, standard policy is to check ID on anyone who appears under 30?"

"New policy we have to scan a photo ID"

I'm fumbling through my wallet for my drivers license but mistakenly give her my CC (which looks almost identical) and I say "who in the world would implement a policy that wastes both their cashier's time and that of their customer"?

"Someone high up here at Giant Eagle...... uh this doesn't scan do you have a drivers license?"

OK take CC back and dig for license "what if one doesn't drive?" as I give her my license and pull out two $50 bills.

"They can obtain an ID from the state" as she keeps pulling the trigger on her scan gun to no avail at the back of my license finally giving up and just enters my birth date from it and hands it back. "Ok it's $36.61". ( Which ended up being $32.99 + sales tax + liquor/wine tax).

I've caught mistakes like this over the years and every time I've told the sales person or cashier "you better check that figure something's not right". But this time for the first time I just handed her a fifty, put the other back in my wallet, and took the $13.39 in change and my free bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, for Giant Eagle's stupid policy.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not uncommon these days. Many stores, especially large chains, require scanning a state ID card.

It ensures that cashiers are checking IDs, prevents cashiers from selling to their underage friends just by keying in random birthdates, cuts down on the use of completely fake IDs, etc.

And she's right about the state ID cards. Here in Arkansas, you can get a non-driver state ID card for $5. There are tons of things besides just driving that state ID cards are used for.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Here in Tennessee you are required to show ID for wine or beer...not for liquor. It makes zero sense, but that's the way it is (I'm 65 but look 16 if my hair is combed right Wink).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
So, your honesty only extends so far. You were willing to knowingly engage in theft simply because you don’t agree with a store’s implemented policy, is that correct?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
So because Giant Eagle doesn't trust their own employees, and even though you are over triple the age required to buy alcohol, you can't without them scanning a government ID?" Yet when it doesn't scan they can just enter the date on the card and sell it anyway? Stupid as well as insulting to the customer as well as their employees.

What about visitors from foreign countries w/o a US ID? Just enter a date for them too right?

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
So, your honesty only extends so far. You were willing to knowingly engage in theft simply because you don’t agree with a store’s implemented policy, is that correct?

Yep.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
He charged the store an Aggravation Fee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
He charged the store an Aggravation Fee.

Exactly Big Grin

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Call it whatever you choose in a attempt to justify it, theft is theft.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I had to show an ID to buy spray paint at Walmart. Also 65 with gray hair

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Call it whatever you choose...

OK it's a stupid nanny policy that's going to cost them time, money (just proved that), and customer aggravation.

posted Hide Post
I believe some choose to use the term moral flexibility. Politicians seem to have this quality.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
In some locations it is law that the purchaser/consumer of alcohol is in possession of a state issued ID. Outside of that it is still better that an establishment always asks for ID. Keeps accidental violations that can result in fines and/or loss of your liquor license from happening.

For example, in your state:

https://abca.wv.gov/CodeRules/...nts/Chapter.3A.1.pdf

quote:
§60-3A-25a. Mandatory verification of age of persons purchasing alcohol.
(a) A licensee who:
(1) Has installed a transaction scan device in its licensed premises; and
(2) Can demonstrate that it requires each employee, servant, or agent to verify the age of any
individual to whom liquor is sold, furnished, or given away by the use of the transaction device
may not be subject to: (A) Any criminal penalties whatsoever; (B) any administrative penalties
from the commissioner; or (C) any civil liability whatsoever for the improper sale, furnishing or
giving away of liquor to an individual who is less than twenty-one years of age by one of his or
her employees, servants or agents. Any agent, servant or employee who has improperly sold,
furnished or given away liquor to an individual who is less than twenty-one years of age is subject
to the criminal penalties of subsection (b) of this section. Any agent, servant, or employee, who
has improperly sold, furnished or given away liquor to an individual less than twenty-one years of
age, is subject to termination from employment, and the employer shall have no civil liability for
the termination.
(b) For purposes of this subsection, a licensee can demonstrate that it requires each employee,
servant or agent to verify the age of any individual to whom liquor is sold by providing evidence:
(1) That it has developed a written policy which requires each employee, servant or agent to verify
the age of each individual to whom liquor will be sold, furnished or given away;
(2) That it has communicated this policy to each employee, servant or agent; and
(3) That it monitors the actions of its employees, servants or agents regarding the sale, furnishing
or giving away of liquor and that it has taken corrective action for any discovered noncompliance
with this policy.
(c) "Transaction scan" means the process by which a person checks, by means of a transaction
scan device, the age and identity of the cardholder, and "transaction scan device" means any
commercial device or combination of devices used at a point of sale that is capable of deciphering
in an electronically readable format the information enclosed on the magnetic strip or bar code of
a driver's license or other governmental identity card.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Giant Eagle is protecting their liquor license. I am 63, grey hair, grey beard and "character" lines on my face. The clerks always scan my license, required doncha know. The ones that really tick me off? Check my birth date on the license. When I call them out they say "it's required". Bullshit.
The local State Store has yet to card me.

Logical and reason has left the planet.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
[tinfoil sarcasm hat] It's really so the state can track our liquor purchases. [/tinfoil sarcasm hat]

Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

OK it's a stupid nanny policy that's going to cost them time, money (just proved that), and customer aggravation.

Still doesn’t justify theft.

Lots of alternative choices could’ve been made, you could have brought it up to Management or Corporate, you could’ve chosen to spend your hard earned money at another establishment that doesn’t engage in that sort policy. Instead you decided that willful theft was the path to go down.

And, on that note, I think I’m finished with this thread.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the annual blue hair rant about how back in the day he got a pack of smokes and a sixer with a note from his dad. If you don't like it you could always make your own.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Still doesn’t justify theft.

Lots of alternative choices could’ve been made, you could have brought it up to Management or Corporate, you could’ve chosen to spend your hard earned money at another establishment that doesn’t engage in that sort policy. Instead you decided that willful theft was the path to go down.

And, on that note, I think I’m finished with this thread.

To Giant Eagle corporate management..... at check out? Are you serious? I might bring it to their attention if I ever decide to go back, which I doubt.
Willful theft LOL, more like stupid policy crippling their employees.

Interesting that I've never had to have my driver's license scanned when ordering a drink at a bar.

Glad you're finished thanks for the support.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the policy is dumb, but you can thank our overly-litigious society, and a bloated government that thinks it knows best.

Regardless, knowingly leaving with items you didn't pay for is still theft. You can call it "aggravation tax" or whatever other cute euphemism you want, but it's still stealing.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
You had to pull your ID out? Oh, poor you. Is there anything we can do for the butthurt you feel? Roll Eyes

People love to talk about millennials and how they get offended at everything but ask a couple old guys to simply present an ID and they turn into the special little snowflakes they pretend to despise. "I shouldn't have to show an ID, I'm special!!!"

Well, a snowflake, an argumentative asshole to some poor cashier who didn't have anything to do with the policy, and a thief.

ETA you can complain all you want, steal all you want and threaten to never go back all you want but your loss of business and petty theft don't come close to the loss of money they would incur by losing their liquor license. So I know you don't want to hear this because you clearly think you are special, but you really aren't. You are just a common thief who isn't worth changing their policy for.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post