SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
ID required to buy booze or smokes, fly, open a checking account, cash a check, drive, take out a mortgage or other loan, etc., etc., etc.

But it is unfair and and disenfranchising to ask for ID to vote...

Really, in this day and age how does any adult function without ID?

And he didn’t “steal” anything. He presented his goods to the cashier, concealed nothing. Clerk rang him out and he paid what was asked. The clerk made a mistake or gave it away, it is not his obligation to correct or point out an error made by the clerk.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
these policies are required in kind of a lowest-common-denominator type of thing. I can't tell you the number of times doing alcohol compliance checks that I have had a clerk repeatedly scan our underage volunteer's ID, and then when it doesn't accept it, scan their own ID or enter their own date of birth. It's baffling. The minimum wage to a little more clerk really has control of the company's liquor license. If you were the president of the company, would you leave that power to them?

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
And he didn’t “steal” anything. He presented his goods to the cashier, concealed nothing. Clerk rang him out and he paid what was asked. The clerk made a mistake or gave it away, it is not his obligation to correct or point out an error made by the clerk.

You could consider this to be not stealing in a legal sense but it’s still wrong. He took an item he knew he didn’t pay for.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure if I want to be in this thread... seems pretty certain on both sides of the argument, but i’ll Join anyways.

I’ve got no problem with a company policy requiring you to show ID. That’s the beauty of a free market if you don’t like the rules you have the option to shop somewhere else. It really doesn’t add that much time for most adults to show an ID (maybe an extra 10seconds per transaction to pull out their wallet?)

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:

I’ve got no problem with a company policy requiring you to show ID. That’s the beauty of a free market if you don’t like the rules you have the option to shop somewhere else. It really doesn’t add that much time for most adults to show an ID (maybe an extra 10seconds per transaction to pull out their wallet?)
This kind of bit me in the ass once.

I was on my way home from the gun club. My wallet with ID was in my range bag, locked in the trunk of my car. I had a bit of cash in a money clip in my front pocket, but no wallet, no ID.

I stopped into a Target that was on my way home, to grab a few groceries. Shouldn't need ID for groceries. Well, there was an end cap in the grocery area with some wine on close-out, really good price, so I grabbed a bottle.

Got to the register and the cashier asked for driver license. Bear in mind that at this point I had lived in the same city / county / state for more than 25 years. I had NEVER been "carded." Not in a grocery store, not in a liquor store, not in a bar, not in a restaurant, and certainly not in that particular Target, where I had shopped many times in the past. At the time I was much younger than I am now -- I was in my 70s. I certainly did not look younger than 21, or 31, or 41, or . . .

The problem was new software that had just been loaded into the checkout register system. It would not proceed past that point without a DL or other photo ID. There was no manager available to untangle the situation. I abandoned ship and left without my purchase. Stopped in a few days later, there was a manager available, I questioned the situation. I was told that there was, in fact, a procedure to bypass the ID requirement at the register if the customer was CLEARLY old enough to purchase alcohol (or tobacco) legally, and there was no question about my eligibility. The problem was, it was new software and nobody had been trained yet on how to access the bypass procedure. The shortcoming was rectified that week.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
consider who you might very well be having the exchange with , at the register.

He demands it not ! for your benefit , but for his,

if he starts skipping three or four people, then because of his "limitation's"
he might very well start skipping 6 or 8 people , and that's when his tit's get in the wringer.

he has ! to ask everyone for his own good , he needs this job, he can not risk skipping the wrong person.

if he can make change and point you to the Boone's Farm , I say cut him just the least amount of slack

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The interpersonal skills required to not piss people off are frequently lacking in cashiers. I do not think it would require extensive training to rectify that problem. A large sign displaying the policy helps. Of course, there are people that have proverbial conflicts with authority that refuse to follow the rules. All of us get to see that now with the advent of cellphone cameras.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post