SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having to Furnish ID to Buy Liquor at MY Age? Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Just give your carry permit or other state id. Shit i work for the government so my work id counts as a state issued i.d. I can't remember the last time i was carded. Im in my 20s.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s easier to hassle every customer than to hire and train competent employees.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread...I wouldn't complain about being carded if they were giving away free bottles of booze.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
It’s easier to hassle every customer than to hire and train competent employees.

Not easier. Cheaper.

Competent employees don't typically work a $7.25 an hour job for very long.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not easier. Cheaper.

Certainly cheaper than loosing your liquor license.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
The Rite Aid drug stores check ID for 100% of alcohol purchasers. I hand them my retired military ID which often confuses them. I told the clerk I turned twenty-one fifty-one years ago.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Costco we shop at recently started selling liquor. The require the checkers to scan an ID. I asked about it, they answered, alright—here it is.

I have a different view of restaurants that ID everyone. My suspicion is that they were probably busted for selling to a minor and the owner/manager just instituted a “no exceptions” rule. I think that degrades both the server and the customer who is obviously well over 21. In the few occasions where this has happened, I just drink water. I’m not rewarding such a business with a high-profit purchase. No remarks to the server, mind you, just, “I’ll drink water.”

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
They have implemented a policy to keep their employees from being able to sell to minors. Had nothing to do with buyers.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
It's fur da children.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Just give your carry permit or other state id...

That's what I first did, which was my mistake (it looks almost the same as a WV derivers license.) Then provided my driver's license to scan, which her scanner wasn't able to scan.

The whole point of my rant is the complete lack of common sense to ensure the person you're selling alcohol to is at least 21 years old.

Imagine being in line to ride a roller coaster where there's a requirement you must be 3'-4" or taller to ride due to safety concerns. And some stupid ticket person who's 5'-6" looks up at you and asks you for an ID (to confirm your height, weight, year of birth, etc.) even though you're 6'-1" tall?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
So, your honesty only extends so far. You were willing to knowingly engage in theft simply because you don’t agree with a store’s implemented policy, is that correct?
He charged the store an Aggravation Fee.

Yeah, I was going to say "inconvenience fee."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19585 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neckbone
posted Hide Post
Here in TN, you're required by law to show a valid state issued ID to buy alcohol. Supposed to be in grocery stores and restaurants. Booze fueled reminder to keep your license current.

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My local cigar store asked you for your date of birth every time you buy from them... they don't ask to see your I.D. just ask for a date... totally stupid and I'm sure has to do with their computer check out program.

As for alcohol... my wife (70) and I (61) had to show our I.D.s at a restaurant in the Atlanta airport a few weeks back....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what happens when you go through the Self Checkout we're being increasingly forced to go through? Does an alarm sound and a member of the store Gestapo rush over ? I'm over 70 and it shows. What pisses me off is to be asked my birthday every time I buy cigars at Rite Aid. I usually try to calculate a date that makes me about 23. If they look at me with suspicion, my response is, " if they want to screw with me, I'm gonna screw with them! " Most clerks just type it in without batting an eye.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what happens when you go through the Self Checkout we're being increasingly forced to go through? Does an alarm sound and a member of the store Gestapo rush over ? I'm over 70 and it shows. What pisses me off is to be asked my birthday every time I buy cigars at Rite Aid. I usually try to calculate a date that makes me about 23. If they look at me with suspicion, my response is, " if they want to screw with me, I'm gonna screw with them! " Most clerks just type it in without batting an eye.

Not sure. Guessing you cannot scan cigars and liquor. Some clerk probably motions you over to a long line where there is a checker. Probably points out the sign in tiny print that says no tobacco products or liquor this line.....

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Compliance, the larger companies have lawyers who deal in compliance, most likely somewhere some state agency either caught them in a test sale or some parent who's kid bought liquor there was killed or hurt and they got sued for millions.

It's not 1950 with push button cash registers, everything is electronic and all the stores have systems that are homogeneous in design for a myriad of reasons, training and compliance are two.

Cash register person probably has a zero pct input on system design, and since you need consistency in education and processes regardless of their ability to recognize that someone is clearly of age, they have to ask in order to maintain employment.

In some cases it's state law, however if it's such a big deal to have to show an ID the proper thing to do is simply leave and not buy anything from that merchant.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

Cigars at Rite Aid??? Good god man! Eek

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got asked for ID to buy beer the other day. I am 56, and probably look 76. Wink

They do it because they can't trust the idiot clerks they hire with any discretion. Eventually one of them will sell hooch to some 20 year old and the clerk will claim that he looked like he was 45. So, by making them check everyone, they eliminate the moron factor.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:

Cigars at Rite Aid??? Good god man! Eek

I'm talking Phillies Titans, a great cigar. Even reviews from stuffy $12 cigar magazines praise them. Can't tell you how many of those $12 cigars ,that were recommended, I've smoked and were awful. Actually, I haven't had any cigars in about 6 months but I miss them

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what happens when you go through the Self Checkout we're being increasingly forced to go through?

When you try to buy booze at a self checkout station, it freezes the transaction and notifies the store, who then send a clerk over to check your ID and input an override code to approve the transaction.

Most stores with self checkout typically still have one clerk assigned to monitor all the self check stations. They do stuff like help people who are having trouble with the process, check IDs for alcohol purchases, monitor for attempted theft and forgotten items, etc.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post