SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Township road repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Township road repair Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday, the township I live in decided to lay down tar and stones on the road I live on.
To say that it's a colossal mess is an understatement. Stones flying everywhere as cars go by and I won't even get the motorcycle out of the garage now.
Drove on it in my car as I went out to supper last night and all I heard was rocks hitting the underside of my car.
I called the township office yesterday and asked why they did this.
"The road was in need of repair" was the response I got. It wasn't in need of repair. There were no potholes, no nothing. I ride or drive on this road every day, sometimes multiple times. No issues.
My weekends are usually spent riding and shooting. Not going to even attempt to ride today.
Is it a bad thing that I can only shoot? No but I'm pissed that they would mess up the road like this when it was fine.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We chip seal here in MT. Meaning the roadway is cleaned, then a layer of tar is spread out, then SHARP little 1/4" crushed stones are dropped on, then rolled in.

When it's cleaned up it's GREAT for the winter, like riding on sandpaper. Hell on tires or especially high speed contact with soft tissue such as MC accidents.

They quickly run a sweeper over it and clean up 90% of the loose gravel.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
We chip seal here in MT. Meaning the roadway is cleaned, then a layer of tar is spread out, then SHARP little 1/4" crushed stones are dropped on, then rolled in.

When it's cleaned up it's GREAT for the winter, like riding on sandpaper. Hell on tires or especially high speed contact with soft tissue such as MC accidents.

They quickly run a sweeper over it and clean up 90% of the loose gravel.

I wouldn't have minded if they did it in October, that would have made sense.
As for the sweeper, they ran it before they laid the tar and stone down. Roll Eyes
I got out in the backyard and put some rounds through the carry pistol so it hasn't been a bad day, just wish I could ride some also.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
"The road was in need of repair" was the response I got. It wasn't in need of repair. There were no potholes, no nothing. I ride or drive on this road every day, sometimes multiple times. No issues.

The state came in and paved nearly five miles of road right through my town. It took about six weeks and was completely unnecessary. The road was pretty much perfect before they started. Meanwhile, the county owned road that runs through town perpendicular to the state road is in disrepair to the point that there are a few small sections that have been ground down to dirt.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago the county completely repaved the road that runs along our property. That project lasted most of the summer. About a year and a half later I wake up to heavy equipment tearing up the road again. WTF!!! Turns out that they decided to replace both the sewer and water lines. Nobody thought to do it all at one time? Somebodies ass should have been fired but I'm sure that never happened. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
A number of years ago the county completely repaved the road that runs along our property. That project lasted most of the summer. About a year and a half later I wake up to heavy equipment tearing up the road again. WTF!!! Turns out that they decided to replace both the sewer and water lines. Nobody thought to do it all at one time? Somebodies ass should have been fired but I'm sure that never happened. Mad

Jim

That would have been efficient and a good use of taxpayer money.
Instead, they will keep on spending it the way they want, efficiency be damned.
They'll also do it at the most inopportune time too.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

When I lived in MD for 30 years, I traveled heavily and mostly on MD Rte 355/Rockville Pike. Sections got repaved at regular intervals. There was a nice concrete base under the asphalt. But no sooner than a section would get paved, sure enough along comes a "need" to dig across it for some reason or another.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of that chip-seal road covering here in AR. Like FN's experience it is hard on tires.

What surprised me is when I saw roads being redone with nice new and smooth asphalt, then being covered with chip-seal a couple of weeks later. In talking with a fellow who works on the local road crew here, he said that the powers-that-be have determined that roads will last longer with chip-seal on top. It didn't use to be that way. I think it's been a recent change in policy to put that stuff on freshly laid roads.

A while back, while I was researching the topic of driveway coatings, I had read on a couple of forums that chip-seal is cheap (as in bad, not necessarily inexpensive) road covering, and more than a few forum contributors who do that work for a living recommended against it.

I don't like it and wish it wasn't used, but it's another case of "can't fight city hall, county government, etc."

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

As sure as the sun rises in the east, water and sewer repairs will always come soon after a road has been paved. It's one of those imutable laws of the universe.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N8b3963VRW4" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Now that's good.
There's a small piece of everyone that would like to do that I think.

posted Hide Post
they don't spend money on round about's or traffic calming barriers in Illinois, they just do not fix the pot holes or expansion joints, you don't dare go over 25 m.p.h. for fear of damaging your vehicle

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
they don't spend money on round about's or traffic calming barriers in Illinois, they just do not fix the pot holes or expansion joints, you don't dare go over 25 m.p.h. for fear of damaging your vehicle

Sounds a lot like the Detroit area. Horrible when I was there.

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

We have a 3 year moratorium on opening a new paved road up with the exception of an emergency repair. If it is opened, it had to be repaired with infared. If the county is doing the paving they will ask a delegate from the town to show up so their is no conflict or planned work on the road.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Do you have to have vehicle safety inspections? If so, they're barking up the wrong tree. Instead of worrying about your vehicle being road-worthy, they should think about whether the road is vehicle-worthy.

quote:
Now that's good.
( In reference to the clip from Falling Down)

That is what made that movie so good, IMO.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They chip and seal here too... no way around it, IT SUCKS!!!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Do you have to have vehicle safety inspections? If so, they're barking up the wrong tree. Instead of worrying about your vehicle being road-worthy, they should think about whether the road is vehicle-worthy.

quote:
Now that's good.
( In reference to the clip from Falling Down)

That is what made that movie so good, IMO.

No vehicle inspections in Ohio. Utah had them when I lived there but that's been 8 years ago. Not sure now.

posted Hide Post
We have the horrible chip sealing here in Wisconsin too.

Maybe the chip sealing isn't that bad when its properly done or when its in a high traffic area where it gets packed down but in our rural subdivision it gets stuck on your tires and you track it in your garage and on your concrete driveway.

I cant believe they would cover a freshly paved road with that crap....

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would have been efficient and a good use of taxpayer money.
Instead, they will keep on spending it the way they want, efficiency be damned.
They'll also do it at the most inopportune time too.

I had 3 uncles in the paving business many years ago. The one with the largest company won a contract to resurface about a mile and a half of road which was the busiest in town. He had it all done except the finish coat and bad weather swept in including days of virtually non-stop rain. The "city fathers" being the idiots they were demanded that he put down the finish coat, and "right now". He explained that laying asphalt in the rain was not a good idea that it would not stick. They DEMANDED again, so he did it. Few months later they were pissing their britches about the pot holes and loose asphalt coated gravel.

They demanded he do it over at his expense, he showed them the contract, and statement from a state level engineer, and his lawyer.

So, he tore it all up, re-did it, and got paid for it. The elected cit officials were voted out at the next election. But then, that was about 60 years ago.

Here in the Manassas region we have some shitty roads and all they do is come along and dump a pile of cold patch on it. and drive on. Leaves a very nice "hump" which does wonders for wheel alignment.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post