SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What do you mean, "customer has requested a change of address?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you mean, "customer has requested a change of address?" Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Dealing with USPS has historically provided me with little trouble. I suppose my luck had to run out eventually.

Trying to get one of my chisels set back up properly after the roommate decided it would be a great idea to toss it point down into the carpet-over-concrete that we have in the garage I've claimed as a wood shop. (Won't get into that mess, but essentially the excuse was, "well, if you leave it laying around [next to/on top of the legless 50+lb table top I was building at the time], it signifies you don't really care about it." Mad )

Because of my inattention,m last time I sharpened it, I rounded over the edge, and need to recut the bevel so that it's flat and even. So I ordered a jig. $15 from Amazon, set to be here yesterday. Being one of 2 things I ordered this weekend to be delivered yesterday via USPS and I received the other item, I checked in on it, to find that for some reason the shipping info said "delay - customer has requested a change of address."

Dafuq? It's now on its way to Murfreesboro instead of my UPS Store box. So I got on the phone with Amazon, who set up a conference call with USPS, who couldn't tell me ANY specific details beyond "we're just a national call center." (At one point the rep tried to blame someone putting my package in the wrong truck. I'm like, "but that doesn't explain the "CUSTOMER REQUESTED CHANGE OF ADDRESS" on the tracking information.) They did give me a number for the local postmaster, which I guess is better than nothing.

There's NO forward supposed to be on that box. I've had it for over 5 years, and will be keeping it for the foreseeable future; I set it up specifically to shoot packages to.

The Amazon rep did get kudos. "Since it's a product sold by and shipped from Amazon, I will set a reminder to call back on Wednesday to check and see if you got your order. If not, at that time we will resend."

I am less than happy about my package getting caught up in the machinations of the USPS, but I can't hold it against the phone reps. It's not their fault my shit's gone sideways.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That would trigger my paranoia. It doesn't sound like it's a very valuable item for someone to go through the trouble of putting in a change of address, right? Still, very troubling.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
It's a $15 tool.

You're right; my paranoia has piqued.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would trigger my paranoia. It doesn't sound like it's a very valuable item for someone to go through the trouble of putting in a change of address, right? Still, very troubling.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah paranoia. I would want to know how this happened. If I understand how this happened I would feel better. Perhaps someone on the forum could provide some insight as to how this occurred.

On a related note I asked if the UPS drivers were verbally challenged when their delivery notices said something like "Met customer man." Apparently they press some sort of button and this is the message that is sent via tracking.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well, the post office called me to follow up.

I asked him how this happens, how the system says "customer requested a change of address." At first he asked if I recently moved from Murfreesboro. (Negative on that; I've lived here since my parents moved here in '92, and I've had my UPS Store box for 4-5 years now, and Amazon has been shipping there since.) He tried to say that it's as simple as the package getting thrown on the wrong pallet. I don't believe that, and I'm not too sure it was something malicious, but I really don't think I'm ever going to get a satisfactory (believable) answer, or that if it really is that simple that I'll be able to accept it. The package is, as of the phone call, on a truck heading back this way.

Delivery date is supposed to be Saturday. We'll see.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked him how this happens, how the system says "customer requested a change of address." At first he asked if I recently moved from Murfreesboro. (Negative on that; I've lived here since my parents moved here in '92, and I've had my UPS Store box for 4-5 years now, and Amazon has been shipping there since.) He tried to say that it's as simple as the package getting thrown on the wrong pallet. I don't believe that, and I'm not too sure it was something malicious, but I really don't think I'm ever going to get a satisfactory (believable) answer, or that if it really is that simple that I'll be able to accept it. The package is, as of the phone call, on a truck heading back this way.

Delivery date is supposed to be Saturday. We'll see.

Thanks for the update. That was probably the best guess the supervisor could come up with. In dealing with those folks it is generally not criminal behavior. The most likely scenario is incompetence. Let us know whether it shows up on Saturday.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well, even if something was afoot, I caught it before anything could happen. They fixed their shit faster than expected and I got it today.

Now I have a planer and chisels with blades sharp enough to shave with.