SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lowe’s....Hello, I’d like to buy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowe’s....Hello, I’d like to buy Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The cashier mentioned filling out the survey also. “The dude abides.”

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The local Lowe’s store, the further you go to the back of the store (where appliances, flooring, doors and lumber are) the less likely you are to find personnel. Up front, like a street bazaar scene in a movie, store employees all over the place. Not to mention that part of the store’s lighting is not that great.

Home Depot, staff distributed throughout the store. Unless it is close to closing time there is at least one person nearby.

Lowe’s staff was lackadaisical for our last appliance purchase, pretty much were left to our own devices when I told them what I wanted, side by side refrigerator, not a “smart” version, didn’t need a monitor built in, size restriction limited us so basically we were pointed down the aisle and told “there they are”.

Home Depot, well lit, staff was helpful and stayed with us. Prices were similar. We were done in and out in around a half hour.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you are welcome,
let us know how you make out

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Pretty much standard proceedure in sales today.

USED to be that salesmen knew their products. Those days are fading quickly. Frown

TRUE retail selling is a lost art.
You can thank the Internet or technology in general for that.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I enter the Yooper Lowes, I am amazed by the number of employees that are wandering all over the store but seem to be accomplishing nothing. Just moving around the store with no apparent destination or function. Not helping customers, stocking shelves or cleaning displays. Doing nothing. Good gig, I guess... Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
In addition to the lack of any knowledgable staff (or typically any staff for that matter), the last three times I've purchased things from Lowes and attempted to get my 10% veteran discount, I've been told that since the item was already priced low, the discount wouldn't apply.

I've used the discount for probably ten years now and have never had an issue with it. They've always rung up the total, knocked off 10%, I pay that amount, and we're out the door. This is no longer the case apparently.

Now, I make a good living and can afford to pay full price, but I'll also save a buck when I can. I don't feel entitled to anything because I served a few years way back when, but this seems to be a "principle of the thing", as dad used to say.

It's always been as I described above where they knock off 10% from the total. Now it appears that they are not honoring that veteran discount.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
My wife was in management at Lowe's . She is now retired . Yes , the store manager plays a big part in how that particular store operates . TAKE THE SURVEYS ! They do get noticed .

Absolutely. A store manager can change the culture of the store so much. Shitty managers get shitty results in the real world.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My local Lowe's is a train wreck. None of the employees seem to know where anything is.

Went there one day to buy some 3' x 1/4" brass rod and couldn't find it. Employee told me they didn't carry it. A half hour later I found it and was checking out when the same employee came up and asked me to show him where I found it. I did.

Home Cheapo employees at my local store always know where everything is.

I suspect it's as other said, it all depends on the individual manager.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Having been in retail sales (and quite successful I might add) I am always disappointed in the quality of sales efforts now days.
I occasionally go into to Woodcraft (a national woodworking specialty store) rather than Lowes or HD when I can.
There too I am disappointed even with older and I presume some where previously retired aka more experienced woodworkers.
You would think that the experience level would be increased and maybe it is a little.
However, you still get the sense that they are just there to take your money and a passion for woodworking is secondary.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
You were lucky to find an employee at all at lowe's.

No appliances, but I spend a little more and go to ACE or TRUE VALUE. But even they have a lot less reps these days.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
You were lucky to find an employee at all at lowe's.

No appliances, but I spend a little more and go to ACE or TRUE VALUE. But even they have a lot less reps these days.

Interesting you should post this today. I just went to Lowe's to buy a 2" x 1/4" clevis pin to help install the front spring and detent pin for the front takedown pin on my ARs. No employees to be seen, but the Lowe's app told me exactly where they were.

We then went to a new ACE that opened up recently and what a difference. They must have had an employee for ever 1-1/2 aisles and one of them spent a half hour explaining the virtues of Blackstone griddles to me.

Love ACE.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
We then went to a new ACE that opened up recently and what a difference. They must have had an employee for ever 1-1/2 aisles
Yup. Most of my customers are Ace Hardware Stores, along with a few True Value stores, so I am in and out of these stores on a regular basis.

I watch what goes on. A customer walks in the door and is immediately greeted by an employee, "Welcome to Ace. Can I help you find something?"

On the other hand, the closest stores to my house are Lowe's and Home Depot, so if I need to get something, it's usually quicker for me to go to one of those stores. Finding an employee to help is a task, and when I do find one, they don't know where to find the item that I'm looking for.

Ace or True Value, if I ask where they keep the left-handed metric framistans, the prompt answer will be something like, "Aisle 17, left side, about halfway down. Here, let me show you."

The difference? Lowe's and Home Depot are company stores. Ace and True Value are locally owned, and the owner is typically "hands on," so the employees are well trained.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
Two Lowe's in my area. Bought a washer, dryer, and a refrigerator at one store, one each the past three years. I had online picks for each trip. The salesman who sold me the washer steered me away from my pick because it had a lot of returns. Glad he did. Dryer salesman said I'd picked the best one. Glad again. Refrigerator salesman had no idea what I was looking for, and kept trying to sell me one with an ice maker (which I did not want). I asked him to go away, pulled down the tag from the one I wanted, went to the front and bought it. Glad I did. Same model as one at work, and problem free.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Pretty much standard proceedure in sales today.

USED to be that salesmen knew their products. Those days are fading quickly. Frown

You mean salesmen would tell you whatever you wanted to hear in order to sell a product.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
In the Auto business yes. The local hardware store has been a staple for years. They are interested in explaining how things work and of course would like to see you purchase something. Many times over the years the salespeople have talked me into a cheaper tool or product.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy my appliances locally from a family owned appliance store. I pay a few bucks more - but the expertise, selection and service are worth every penny of it. (this was where I bought my first Speed Queen products)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I buy my appliances locally from a family owned appliance store. I pay a few bucks more - but the expertise, selection and service are worth every penny of it. (this was where I bought my first Speed Queen products)

I wish I could do that here. Went into a local independent store and got the distinct feeling that I was bothering him to ask any questions. Came away with the feeling that unless it was one that was on the floor he did not want to deal with it.

Hello Home Depot.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Hello there Mountaineer, not Barboursville Lowes, corridor G, south Charleston. We live in Spencer, 4 stoplight town.

https://youtu.be/-aBtt3u6KnA

Love the video! I’m between Huntington and Charleston. I avoid Southridge as much as possible.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
Regarding southridge, we always feel like we are in a different state when we get into Charleston.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post