SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Known-Hazardous Range Conditions Ignored by Management
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Known-Hazardous Range Conditions Ignored by Management Login/Join 
posted
This one is serious.
One of the locations of a chain, to which I'm an All-Access member, is continually operating a range that they KNOW is dangerous. Every floor employee knows. Every shift-lead knows. They KNOW it is dangerous.
6 weeks ago, I caught a piece of ricochet'd lead in the mesh athletic shorts I was wearing. It was so hot, I dropped it when I pulled the piece - about the size of half/third a mini-marshmallow - from just in front of the pocket.

Immediately, I made-safe, and went to look for the Range Officer. You read that correctly. There are more times than not, that there IS no RSO in that range (pistol;25yards). Six retail associates doing nothing in particular and one RSO, who is also, sometimes, the range cashier) and walks between rifle and pistol.
That RSO, picked up the lead, that was still warm, mind you, and closed the range. Then walked to the wall and picked out a piece of lead (one of many he's picked out) of the foam wall-liner.
OK. Range closed. That was six weeks ago.
They've told me that the screws holding the armor plating have failed in some areas, causing the plates in the Vee to touch. Fair enough. Problem identified.
Ummm... problem not fixed. For six weeks.

RSO who have been told "it's your range and your rules" have closed the range due to shrapnel danger, to be overridden by, no less, THE MANAGER, to re-open the range because they "are busy".
This is beyond lunacy. So, I asked for the Regional Manager's telephone number. Didn't get it. I'm hoping to have a conversation with the company's President, tomorrow.
This place is truly flirting with disaster. You can't make this stuff up.
I'm not posting this to trash the company, nor to reveal the name. Not my intent.
Dig this: I reserved a lane on Friday -on Pistol. Fair enough, I figured it must be fixed. When I went to check in I *jokingly* asked (since, as I said, I figured it must be fixed) "am I taking my life in my own hands by shooting on Pistol tonight?"
The employee told me, in all seriousness: "You would be." so, I went to rifle and hoped I'd not be, indoors, next to a custom-ported. 308 Scar or some other cannon.
One fellow said he told the store manager that he was not comfortable being RSO, out there, until it got fixed. He said the store manager told him "it's fine" as he laughed at the employee's comment.
Hand to God...These comments are verbatim.
Anyone ever heard of such woeful neglect?

String

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A little splash happens even at ranges with state of the art back stops.
Wear safety glasses and proper clothing and you'll be fine. Ditch the mesh pajama shorts man. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to downplay the range's problems, but mesh shorts - or mesh anything - seem ill-advised as range attire. Confused

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
A little splash happens even at ranges with state of the art back stops.
Wear safety glasses and proper clothing and you'll be fine. Ditch the mesh pajama shorts man. Wink

Fair enough that splash happens. The larger point is that the employees, themselves, do not want to be on that range.

And, knee-length athletic shorts simply helped the chunk hang up/snag. Thanks for the input,though Roll Eyes Ryan. I def don't wear jammies to the range.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
If they're not addressing safety issues that are apparent, how many other issues are they neglecting - like having adequate air circulation and filtration so the shooters and RSO aren't exposed to lead and other hazards from an indoor range?

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Goggles and a cup

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they're not addressing safety issues that are apparent, how many other issues are they neglecting - like having adequate air circulation and filtration so the shooters and RSO aren't exposed to lead and other hazards from an indoor range?

I used to shoot at an indoor range. I exclusively shoot outdoors now for the above reasons and general lack of supervision by the RSO.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I leave the rifle range at this place it sounds like I have a cold. Ha. I once asked them to turn ON the ventilation system. No air moving, vent not creating the usual noise on the range. They said "huh! Someone turned it off!"

I'm strongly considering not returning to that particular location. It just may come to that. I was happy to find it because it's relatively close.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Every time I leave the rifle range at this place it sounds like I have a cold. Ha. I once asked them to turn ON the ventilation system. No air moving, vent not creating the usual noise on the range. They said "huh! Someone turned it off!"

I'm strongly considering not returning to that particular location. It just may come to that. I was happy to find it because it's relatively close.

Get your lead level checked in your blood. It is inexpensive and will help you make the decision.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stringdriver:

Dude, you need to ask (politely) for a membership refund then avoid the place like the plague.

Lead poisoning is, legally, a dumbing down factor.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only take one employee to call OSHA or the health department and they will take care of the problem for you.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Goggles and a cup

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post