SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don't Know Who To Be More Aggravated With
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't Know Who To Be More Aggravated With Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
TNW Firearms, My LGS, or Me?

So I bought one of TNW Firearms a Aero Survival Rifle back in Sept. They send a confirmation that it could take 2-3 months or such to ship... then a month later I happen to see in my email junk folder that the gun was shipped and I go and pick up... Back the 1st week of November because life and work has been good I order their Pistol and get the same confirmation email... "got order it will be a while to ship" and so about a month later I email them... work is crazy and I'm busy as can be... no reply... so a couple weeks later I send another email... no reply... and yes I know, there is this thing called the telephone... So, about the 4th email I finally get a replay yesterday... the gun has been at my LGS since November 25th! What the heck? I guess the email that the gun was shipped went to my junk folder and I missed it... and why the heck did not my dealer call me... they usually do.. I'm in their computer! TNW says I've been emailing to their non-monitored address... but the address I'm sending to is the one listed on their web site.... I'll find out this morning if the pistol is actually there....

Now the other aggravating thing is I just discovered that my gun club has shut down temporarily because of the Chinese Cooties... seems you can catch them from shooting a gun....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You (mostly) for not calling or checking your junk folder after having an earlier email from the vendor end up there. Your LGS (partially) for not letting you know it arrived. I’d let the vendor off the hook since they had no way of knowing their emails went to the junk folder (means it wasn’t noted as non-deliverable, which might have clued them in). Just IMO.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a bummer of communication. If it were me, I’d be pissed that I didn’t see it in junk. I check my junk folder regularly, just for this reason. Same sort if things happened years ago with an exhaust for a Subaru.

I would also be quite pissed with the LGS for not contacting me.

I’m happy to hear you finally got your gun. Even though it sounds like you can’t shoot it, at least you can fondle and wipe fingerprints from it regularly. You should post a pic so we all can appreciate it too!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Now the other aggravating thing is I just discovered that my gun club has shut down temporarily because of the Chinese Cooties... seems you can catch them from shooting a gun....

Gun Clubs here in Arizona remain open as essential businesses.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Make this a learning experience. Check the junk folder frequently.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I have had occasion where the seller did not provide the contact information of the buyer.

Multiple calls and emails went unanswered.

Finally, the buyer contacted me about his firearm.

Perhaps, your local gun store did not know it belongs to you?

Or they called and left a message months ago?

Or, they thought they left a message months ago?

At end of the day, when I buy something, I stay on top of it, because I have found relying on others is not always best.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to, I scan my junk folder daily. Its a must.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my ffl won't ship out from me unless i provide the buyers contact info.

if the buyers info isn't known by the seller, no info can be provide to receiving ffl, no call!

i check junk/spam in each email account daily.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Y'know, all this having to check the junk mail folder garbage could easily be rendered moot if:

1. Users/customers would learn to use tagged (aka: "plussed") email addresses and...
  2. Many vendors' web site and fulfillment systems designers weren't utterly clueless as to what constituted a valid email address

A "tagged," or "plussed" email address is ones normal email address with "+something" tacked on to the username part. E.g.:

jsmith@example.com becomes jsmith+something@example.com

With each vendor a different tag. E.g.:

jsmith+amazon@example.com
jsmith+psa@example.com
jsmith+bank_name@example.com

How it works is email servers that support it will strip the "+something" from the email address and deliver to the remainder. So email destined for "jsmith+something@example.com" will be delivered to "jsmith@example.com".

Advantages:

1. Users/customers can whitelist tagged recipient addresses
  2. Email claiming to have arrived from Company Foo that wasn't sent to the tagged address given to Company Foo can be immediately deemed suspicious
  3. Email sent to the tagged address given to Company Foo from other than Company Foo means Company Foo either sold your email address or their systems were hacked
  4. If your tagged address for Company Foo is compromised, you can change the tagged address you gave them, whitelist the new one, and blacklist the old one
  5. Where the email address is used for the login process, Bad Guys would have to guess the tag, as well as the password

Don't underestimate the value of advantage #5. When I was still with GoDaddy as a registrar, at one point my login would regularly be locked due to aggressive attacks on it. I'd have to call, validate myself, and have them unlock it. I changed my login to "jsmith+tag" and the problem went away.

Unfortunately, this great tool isn't as effective as it could be because:

1. Most users don't know about it or are too lazy to use it
  2. Some email client applications wont' let users see full headers, so they can't see the "X-Original-To:" header field
  3. Many web and fulfillment software designers don't understand a "+" is perfectly valid in an email address
  4. Some email servers may not support properly delivering tagged email. (Microsoft's used to be one of those. I don't know if it still is.)

The reason point #2, above, is a problem is that some mail servers, in stripping the "+tag" from the destination address, strip it from the email header, too, making email sent to "user+tag" appear to have been sent to merely "user".

To compound the problem, some email clients don't even show the recipient's email address in the email, substituting for it the user's name. E.g.: Email sent to "jsmith@example.com" will show as having been sent to "John Smith." (Apple's iOS email client does this and it annoys me.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I tried the plus tag for a while. I just ran into problems too often to make it worthwhile to keep up such as websites not accepting the + xxxx as a valid email.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I tried the plus tag for a while. I just ran into problems too often to make it worthwhile to keep up such as websites not accepting the + xxxx as a valid email.

I've actually reached-out to vendors when that happened and made the case for them fixing their sites. Surprisingly: A couple did.

Anyway: Use it where you can, don't where you can't. Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Did you run into problems other than some broken sites not accepting it?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I've actually reached-out to vendors when that happened and made the case for them fixing their sites. Surprisingly: A couple did.

Anyway: Use it where you can, don't where you can't. Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Two that I can remember:
The first was I tried to reset a password but the password link they sent was to my email without the plus and also the reset link so I couldn't reset the password. (Or the email was the other way around.)

The second was I replied but they couldn't answer because my email wasn't what they had. I just had to set up that alias and be able to respond with that alias.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Two that I can remember:
The first was I tried to reset a password but the password link they sent was to my email without the plus and also the reset link so I couldn't reset the password. (Or the email was the other way around.)

Once again I suspect b0rk3d software. Their system probably couldn't deal with the +'d email address, so it simply stripped-out the "+'.

quote:
The second was I replied but they couldn't answer because my email wasn't what they had. I just had to set up that alias and be able to respond with that alias.

Yup. Email clients that operate straight-jacketed and don't allow you to amend the "From:" address.

I've run into both of those issues, too.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm accepting ownership of the major part of the problem... the reality is I've been so busy with work that it was not a priority..

I did not pick up the gun until this morning first thing... walked in an the woman who has done the transfers for me for the last year or two saw me walking up and said..."I bet you are here to pick up a gun. I've seen the box in the back with your name on it for a while." I guess she's not the one who usually calls.. she also said that they have been a little busy as of late...

I have as of late been looking more closely at my junk folder and clearing it out every day.... but I'm sure I missed their email that the gun was shipped.

As for them not getting my emails... I've been emailing them to the address on their web site.... maybe I was going into their junk folder...

Here she is... I'm having a hard time calling this a pistol:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the shippers have tracking. Almost none of the online shops put a customer name on the package. Insurance often blames the retailer for damages, so we don’t open them. I work at a retail shop that does transfers. We have 30 to 50 transfers awaiting pickup. How can I tell who gets which package? Set up tracking. Please.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading skills matter Fred. She literally said she read his name on the box. The shop holds some responsibility as does Blume. If my FFL didn’t call me when a gun came in I would find a new FFL. Mine calls, texts, or emails when something comes in for me. It’s just sound business practice. And takes 1 minute.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
they've been really good about calling over the last year or so.... they have my cell phone in their computer... so, I think it was just one of those simple over sights....

We've gotten so used to all this internet and emailing we forget there is still the old school way.

there is one thing that concerns me about these 'pistols' there is nothing on the receiver that indicates it was originaly manufactured and made as a pistol... the prefix to the serial number is no different than their rifles. I actually sent TNW a question about this and they said that any LEO questioning this would just contact my FFL or them and they would look it up... my concern is where I might be 'waiting' while that is done....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"