SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ya know how you can tell if a salesman is lying?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ya know how you can tell if a salesman is lying? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
His lips are moving.

Daughter is putting up a new modular home. It has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass from the get-go.

She doesn't know a lot about construction and less than that about codes so she's prone to just accepting whatever the contractor tells her.

I've caught a couple of things and told her she was getting screwed and needed to hold somebody's feet to the fire and get it fixed. (She IS good at that, once she knows there's a problem. Mules come to her for stubborn lessons when she gets her dander up.)

The latest was "Code requires that we insulate your interior basement walls with styrofoam and paint the syrofoam with fire-resistant paint. It's all about fire code. That's gonna add about $3000 to the price we quoted you."

Wait...you're going to cover a non-flammable concrete wall with flammable styrofoam and then coat that with non-flammable paint? Bull-fucking-shit. Show me the code.

I...uh...well...ummm...Turns out that's only if you're finishing the basement as a living space. Which she's not.

Fucking crooks.

If/when we sell this house, I can name one company that we will NOT be buying a modular from...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Seems like some "salesmen or contractors" will do their best to stick it to the women they come in contact with no matter what lies they have to tell.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mules come to her for stubborn lessons when she gets her dander up.
I am adding that to my collection of great quotes. Big Grin

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My daughter wanted to update her windows. First estimate she got was way off and didn't make any sense. She called a different company and I was there. The estimate was much lower. We decided for the third time to have just me there and act like I owned the house. Lowest estimate of all.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's my aunt had "insulation" put in her attic for 300.00 dollars. The insulation was spray painted cardboard sheets in black. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
My daughter wanted to update her windows. First estimate she got was way off and didn't make any sense. She called a different company and I was there. The estimate was much lower. We decided for the third time to have just me there and act like I owned the house. Lowest estimate of all.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post