SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Junk mail -- what I'd like USPS to sponsor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Junk mail -- what I'd like USPS to sponsor Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
In my mind, USPS is an enabler for junk mail. And I just get too much shit in my mailbox that goes straight to the recycle bin which I then need to haul for pickup. My junk mail volume is actually larger than my garbage haul.

I have a centralized mail box (and this could work for PO Boxes and similar systems). I propose that the USPS sponsor a paper shredder next to each mail box (or convenient locations). This way I don't need to take the junk to my house and then haul it for recycling.

USPS arranges for disposal - pass all costs back into the junk mail postal costs, whatever.

Win for me. Win for USPS (no additional costs and still gets junk mail revenue). Win for recyclers. Lose for junk mail guys.

I know this is not realistic. But I wish there was some way for Win-Win-Win-Lose.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Junk mail is annoying. I get a pile of it every week.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get Junk mail, too. If there's a prepaid envelope inside, I use it to mail the ripped up junk mail back to them.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I get Junk mail, too. If there's a prepaid envelope inside, I use it to mail the ripped up junk mail back to them.

I need to start doing that, or mail another piece of junk mail to them from some other place.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Come on. Ease up on USPS. Ever since Congress divorced them, theyv'e been on welfare. Junk mail is an income stream. I get junk mail too and it goes straight to the recycle bin and does not enter the house.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get lots daily, I agree with your suggestion, people who sent it should pay for disposal.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Little one-horse Post Office right across the street from my house, so we have a PO Box. $65 per year. Another couple hundred yards up the street and we'd have a free mailbox... Roll Eyes

But, in their favor, they DO have a recycle bin right in the lobby so I can "sort" my mail before I walk back across the street to my house.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There's a dumpster conveniently located across the street from my curbside mailbox. Wink

Been a lot of brochures, catalogs and "Final Notices" to buy extended warranties thrown in that over the last 17 years.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My local post office has recycle receptacles in the PO Box area.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Even better if they just shredded it at the postal station.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Even better if they just shredded it at the postal station.

Why shred? If there's a postage paid self addressed envelop inside the junk mail, just mail the junk back to the source.

Junk mail source pays for the postage and adds more income for USPS.

Win-win for all.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local post office has recycle receptacles in the PO Box area.

Mine does as well. I freely use the postage paid envelopes to return junk mail if available. I agree the USPS is on welfare and they need the revenue stream. I am curious if a large stamp placed on the mail that states RETURN TO SENDER would work. That is a win win for me, and I can hope the USPS uses the increased revenue to improve service. I would like to hear from our members who work for USPS on this issue. Thanks

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 81chop:
quote:

I need to start doing that, or mail another piece of junk mail to them from some other place.

A buddy used to do that. He'd save up a bunch of junk mail, then use the prepaid envelopes to send it all to the other junk mailers. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 81chop:
quote:

Sending the NRA stuff to AARP is always fun.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept getting junk mail from 1 company even after I let them know that I had no use for their product. They made the mistake of sending a self addressed postage paid envelope. So I got a box filled it with assorted junk( rocks, dirt, the letter with my info, etc) taped the return envelope to the box, NO more junk mail from them!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
I kept getting junk mail from 1 company even after I let them know that I had no use for their product. They made the mistake of sending a self addressed postage paid envelope. So I got a box filled it with assorted junk( rocks, dirt, the letter with my info, etc) taped the return envelope to the box, NO more junk mail from them!

USPS will take that? And deliver it? And charge the junk mailer?

Seems like that sends a message.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We get precisely zero bills or statements by mail, and only two magazines so other than an occasional card almost all our mail is junk.

That said, haven't I read that without the postage paid by the junk mailers the USPS would effectively collapse, or have to double/triple the consumer postal rates?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I despise going to the mail box because I know practically all of it is going in the trash/recycle bin. What a waste. The trash can next to the mail boxes are always overflowing with mailers and ads that nobody wants.

Posts: 14 | Registered: December 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Doesn't really bother me getting this stuff, without marketing and advertising we'd never find out about things, sure some of it's wasted advertising but it's not my money. Better than a box full of bills.

Our PO has trash receptacles, I just toss the garbage in the bin, once a month a local store sends everyone 20% off coupon cards, my wife buys coffee there, the trash is full of these, I get a nice windfall of coupin's Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:

How does that work? I would think that the junk mail company and USPS already has the postage predetermined to be charged at the contract price of the envelope and not a box.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post