SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    JB Bridge cracks -- St.Louis south metro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JB Bridge cracks -- St.Louis south metro Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
The Jefferson Barracks bridge has cracks, it crosses the Mississippi about ten miles south of downtown St. Louis.

We headed out Monday morning for a funeral 450 miles west, I-255 was closed. We can see the JB bridge from our house on the bluffs, it's about two miles away. We had to work our way downtown through Cahokia. It took an hour.

I'm seeing reports of two hour trips to get across the river and ten mile backups as all access roads are bottlenecking.

Emergency medical services are scrambling to respond, tons of shopping and recreation getting killed, no immediate end in sight.

This is Interstate 255, federal, no? Why is MoDot (Missouri Dept. of Transportation) heading the fustercluck? You'd think in 1985 when the bridge was built, the engineering was pretty straightforward. Lowest bidder, political cronyism, wtf? Even if heads roll, life for tens of thousands of us down here is now a lot more difficult. Until names are named, I offer a generic "Thanks, assholes". Mad Mad

I-255 westbound closed at JB Bridge

The Missouri Department of Transportation announced Wednesday afternoon that the inspection on the damaged Jefferson Barracks Bridge is almost complete, but it is uncertain when the bridge will be safe to reopen.

MoDOT will know more late tomorrow afternoon after it gets the results of extensive lab tests from samples from the portion of the bridge where cracks were discovered.

MoDOT said it awarded an emergency contract to get additional resources on the bridge to complete needed repairs and has already began making repairs.

“We don’t take making the decision to close the bridge lightly, but safety must be our primary concern in cases such as this,” said Tom Blair, district engineer for MoDOT St. Louis. “We are doing everything we can to expedite this process, and are working around the clock to reopen the bridge as soon as possible after we can definitely verify the bridge is safe.”

MoDOT announced Monday that all westbound lanes of I-255 at the Jefferson Barracks Bridge near Columbia are closed at least through the week following damage discovered Sunday afternoon during a routine inspection.

Missouri Department of Transportation inspectors found cracks in the steel truss of the westbound span of the bridge and announced its complete closure so engineers could further investigate and determine an emergency repair plan, according to Joe Molinaro, MoDOT’s bridge engineer for the St. Louis Region.

“Our inspectors found a six-foot crack under the weld of a critical portion of the bridge’s structure,” Blair explained at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. “Further inspections since Sunday have found similar cracks in other, similar locations of the westbound bridge. But the good news is none of those new cracks that they found are near as significant as the one they found on Sunday.”

After finding the first crack, MoDOT closed the bridge and has spent the last few days inspecting the westbound bridge more closely. It also did a second inspection of the eastbound bridge, where no cracks have been found.

Blair said he hopes to be able to offer a more definitive plan for the bridge once it gets the test results, though that announcement may not come until Friday.

“As soon as we get those results back and as soon as we come up with a clear strategy of when we can get the resources on the bridge and get it reopened and everything, we’ll let you know.,” he said.

The test results should also help MoDOT determine the cause of the cracks.

“If those results cause us to have do really extensive repairs that take a long time, I want everyone to understand MoDOT has already begun designing a cross-over,” Blair explained. “We do not want to move head-to-head traffic on the existing 255 bridge, but we are preparing to do that if necessary. We hope that when we get the results back that they tell us we can make some pretty quick repairs, and in a matter of a few working days and nights, we can get the bridge open.”

In the meantime, MoDOT is recommending drivers take the Poplar Street Bridge or Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge into St. Louis instead.

Monday morning’s rush period saw a large number of vehicles on Route 3 and westbound I-64 across the Poplar Street Bridge, MoDOT said. There was a slight increase in traffic on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge, and no change in traffic on the westbound Chain of Rocks Bridge.

The Illinois Department of Transportation said a large portion of commuters used northbound Route 3 through Sauget, causing significant delays accessing the Poplar Street Bridge.

“However, there was available capacity for most of the morning rush on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial, McKinley, Eads and Chain of Rocks Bridges,” IDOT said.

Wednesday also saw heavy traffic, though that was due in large part to several accidents throughout the area.

The westbound span of the JB Bridge opened in 1985. About 100,000 vehicles travel both spans daily.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Atlas must have shrugged.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
And there are thousands of other bridges just like it, cracks and all, just waiting to collapse and kill people.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Two lanes alleged to be open tomorrow. Looking forward to creeping across, bumper to bumper, pretty much maximizing the load on the bridge, what with the third lane filled with construction vehicles. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All those fuel taxes, plate fees and other boondoggles and the streets and bridges suck.
I cant think of a bigger government ripoff and failure.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
1985? What the hell, that bridge is only 30 some years old. The crooks that designed and built that thing are probably long gone by now. What a rip off. Mad

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Probably nothing some 'JB Weld' won't fix.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
All those fuel taxes, plate fees and other boondoggles and the streets and bridges suck.

Like the Latson Road interchange off I-96. Opened in 2013, soon after there were repairs done to the bridge deck. Several ramp rebuilding projects since said opening including one now. And our Governor wants more money to allegedly fix the roads.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

It sounds like you're blaming this on Illinois. From the sound of things Missouri is responsible for the bridge.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The infrastructure of the United States is in serious need of repair. We had to live with two main bridges out for over a year due to Hurricane Katrina. It was a nightmare. I can empathize.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Maybe OAC's Green New deal will fix it? Roll Eyes

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every year as the bride & I make our trip to Omaha, anxiety sets in as we cross the Ohio at Louisville, the Mississippi at St Louis & the Missouri over KC. It’s a long way down, especially the Ohio.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Kind of open now. A three lane bridge west bound, two lanes open 5am to 10am, one lane otherwise. Traffic creeps bumper to bumper, max load on the bridge I'd guess in the morning.

The JB Bridge is two separate bridges. If major work is needed on the west bound section, the east bound will become two directions, yikes. No detected problems with the east bound span so far, we'll see about that, huh? Roll Eyes

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried to use JB Weld on the JB Bridge?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chance favors only
the prepared mind.
Picture of Dad250
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain - January 2017 Delaware River Bridge connecting NJ and PA Turnpikes was out of service due to significant crack in the steel structure! This caused a diversion of the traffic across the Burlington Bristol Bridge which is sketchy at best on a good day.

So much to fix in the states - yet we throw money into the recurrant urban failures.

Delaware Bridge Failure

Burlington Bristol Bridge

SIG P229 9mm
Springfield Armory XD-9 9mm

AUT PAX, AUT BELLUM

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Posts: 550 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post