SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    It was a nice fad, but ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was a nice fad, but ... Login/Join 
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted
Enough with the citrus-flavored beers!

Brewers - once you've had one citrus-flavored beer, you've had them all - so STOP with the endless iterations!

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way about flavored bourbon.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
Enough with the citrus-flavored beers!
Can we maybe keep one or two around?

I'm not a big beer drinker but once every couple months I feel like stopping in at World Of Beer when I finish re-supplying the stores that are my customers. I't usually about the time that my wife leaves her office and I ask her to join me, relax for a half hour or so. She does not like beer, but she will sip a lime-flavored one, so let's keep one or two of those around for her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Don't you dare take away my Summer Shandy.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Why do they have to stop making it? Why can't you just not buy any more citrus flavored beer?

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Why do they have to stop making it? Why can't you just not buy any more citrus flavored beer?

Because finding a non-citrus flavored beer amongst all the ridiculous choices of citrus flavored has become an epic task in my neck of the woods. Big Grin

Last night I went to dinner at a local brewery. None of their regular IPAs or lagers were available, but I could choose between 4 citrus-flavored IPAs and 3 berry-flavored Lagers.

Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

Same here. At the most, the only thing a good whiskey may need is a splash of water or an ice cube. For some whiskeys, even that is overkill Wink

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't really care for most beers that have citrus juice/flavoring added, like Shandys or Citrus IPAs.

However, Belgian Witbiers, which are a style of wheat beers brewed with orange peel and coriander seeds, are excellent summertime beers. The citrus taste isn't as overpowering/cloying in these.

Domestic Busch/Miller/Coors copies of Witbiers, like Blue Moon or Shock Top, are pale imitations of a real Belgian Wit. (And keep the fruit salad off my beer glass, please.)

My personal favorite Wit - at least of the ones that I'm able to find regularly around here - is Blanche de Bruxelles. It's one of my go-to summertime beers. Light and crisp, with excellent flavor, and a nice hint of refreshing citrus. Plus, it's also available in pint cans, which makes it easy to take along to the beach/pool/river.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Hazy, juicy Northeast IPAs are the new fad and they aren't going away anytime soon.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh good lord YES!! I had some Crown Royal Regal Apple at my bro's and nearly puked.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Seriously folks - what's next, mango/pomegranate, kiwi/lime,strawberry/passion fruit?

Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously folks - what's next, mango/pomegranate, kiwi/lime,strawberry/passion fruit?

Liennies Watermelon? I do not kid you.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Beer should be beer - Ale should be ale - whiskey should be whiskey - Rum should be rum - Girls should be girls - Boys should be boys - Guns should be Sigs. Enough already. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I take minor satisfaction in that if flavored, they can't legally call it bourbon.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

Oh good lord YES!! I had some Crown Royal Regal Apple at my bro's and nearly puked.

Crown isn't bourbon, but I get what you're saying. Crown apple is good in certain mixed drinks, but not by itself.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:

Liennies Watermelon? I do not kid you.

Tried it. It's awful. Still have five left that I'm not sure what to do with.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Ugh. Awful. Too many of these beers taste like what I imagine it would taste like if a fruit were to vomit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
IME, real hefeweizen and witbier are awesome glass after glass. However,
  • fruit beer (cherry, lemon, raspberry, blueberry, orange) tends to be enjoyable at first, but by the end of the bottle it's either quit drinking or get a real beer.
  • beer with grapefruit just plain sucks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rustpot
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gustofer:

Summer Shandy was a fantastic lemonade beer before Miller/Coors bought them and went nationwide. Most of Leinenkugel's offerings are far worse after the transition.

I was at a bar with 60-something beers on tap. No free tastes, but they had half-pours of everything priced well enough.

Of the 8 I had maybe one was a proper example of the beer it was called. No Hefeweiss, no proper Wit, no Weiss, only one lager and one pilsner.

Everything was trying to be loud in some way, it had a catch or a fruit, or extra hops, or something.

I almost asked if they had a Miller Lite. It may be piss water, but it's nice to have a few in the sun with a friend vs trying to figure out what some of the beer descriptions mean.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
    quote:

I take minor satisfaction in that if flavored, they can't legally call it bourbon.

Indeed, which makes it easy to avoid entirely.

If it doesn't say Straight Bourbon on the bottle, amongst other indicators, I skip it.

Unless it's Rye, of course.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post