SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Firefox: WTH?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox: WTH? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
I've been using Firefox for years with no issues. Suddenly, a couple days ago, I launch it and all of my bookmarks, history, everything, is gone. Tried to do a restore from the bookmarks manager, it said it was unable to read the backup file. So I figure "Ok, something got corrupted in the app itself." So I download the latest version, uninstall the one and install the new one. Voila, all my stuff is back. Magic. Today I start it up and the same damn thing - no bookmarks, no history. Reinstall from the same file I downloaded yesterday, and all is good again. Anybody else seen this behavior lately?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this on my PC. I just updated to version 56 today.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Expert,

Mine did the same thing. I was not happy.

Got them back, too.

I'm trying to get used to Brave. Firefox is about to go NSA on us soon.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^What does that mean? "Go all NSA on us".

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^ My question too.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Snooping and gathering data on users? Since when is Mozilla going that route?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Google or Yahoo.

Follow the money.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firefox is about to go NSA on us soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Google or Yahoo.

Follow the money.

As you are the one who is putting that allegation (I think it's an allegation) out there, do you not have a link? Fine, let me put some up and maybe you can pick one that might be what you are discussion.

Here's 4 to start the ball rolling.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/...how_the_nsa_att.html

https://www.rt.com/usa/prism-f...sa-surveillance-723/

https://www.wired.com/2014/01/mozilla-3/

OK, you can get the 4th yourself.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Well, my data was gone again this morning. I looked at the FF version and it was 52.3.0 ESR 64-bit, the same one that I replaced last week. The one I replaced it with was version 56.0, also 64-bit. So I'm guessing that 52.3.0 ESR has a bug in it, and our IT guys have something running that goes around and "updates" FF to that version every night. Got to keep everybody the same, y'know? Roll Eyes . I'm going to query them about it.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I believe that the ESR version is for keeping compatibility with older standards when new versions start breaking things. It looks like the current ESR version is 52.4 ESR.

You can download the ESR version from here.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I pinged IT about it. Here's what they had to say. Basically, whatever I install is going to be replaced by the "standard" version.
The new one (52.4 ESR) is still doing the same shit though. Mad
quote:
About a year we moved to Firefox ESR as our standard branch for Firefox. And with SCCM our management tool we enforce that standard. Just today we started pushing the latest ESR version (52.4). You should get it sometime this week.

We chose Firefox ESR to reduce the vulnerabilities that are weekly vulnerability scan reveals in our network. The Info Sec team does a weekly scan across our entire network and every week 100’s of thousands are potential issues are revealed. When we use Firefox ESR (as opposed to Firefox retail or current channel) our vulnerability count is lower in the Firefox area.

Since we have started using Firefox ESR over a year ago, not a single person in our installed base of over 700 systems has had a problem getting Firefox ESR to do whatever they need to do in Firefox.

This is the first time I have heard of a person losing their bookmarks. We need to keep moving forward with ESR. If you want some help getting your bookmarks imported into ESR let me know. Again, I have not heard of anyone else having that issue.

We use SCCM to ensure our Windows systems (and next month our Mac systems) conform to a standard that we can report to Info Sec is secure and uniform.

Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Are you using a plain version of firefox or are you using plugins?

Plugin incompatibility will cause this and is easily remedied by disabling or uninstalling the offending item.

If not, then something is corrupted and you'll need find the folder where your bookmarks live and back them up for restoration later.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Just an ad blocker. The IT guy came up a couple of hours ago and helped me get it squared away and working right again. If it's still working tomorrow morning I'll be happy.

posted Hide Post
OK, I got it. Maybe this is what Jager was saying about Firefox. Censorship appears to be coming with your new browser. They appear to have teamed with Geo Soros to make a "Fake News" blocker. Here's the story: https://www.activistpost.com/2...trike-fake-news.html
quote:
"Mozilla, the non-profit organization which runs the Firefox internet browser, said Wednesday it was launching an effort against “fake news,” as fact-checking software backed by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and George Soros got its first run-out in public to shape our Orwellian nightmare of future truth arbiters."........

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Huh. Well, I'm sure that any "fake news blocker" funded by Soros will be absolutely and unequivocally unbiased in what it deems to be "fake". Roll Eyes Big Grin