SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Infernal automated answering machines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Infernal automated answering machines Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
What ever happened to the switchboard operator that could answer your call and after you explained to them why you were calling and what for they could direct your call to the proper person?

I hate when you call somewhere and the infernal thing tells you to push 1 for this and 2 for this and 3 for something else nd 4 for something else and etc and etc and round and round we go and no options are anywhere close to the subject you are calling about.

What I want to know is what was so flawed about the old way; maybe you could actually accomplish what you called about.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You have reached the psychic hot line.

You do not need to press any numbers nor leave a message.

We already know who you are and what you want.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
representative.... representative....., REPRESENTATIVE..... CUSTOMER SERVICE.... CUSTOMER SERVICE!....... AUUUUGGGGGHHH! ##########,0000000#########254434563462656574562452435346545656, REPRESENTATIVE! Slam hangup

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
representative.... representative....., REPRESENTATIVE..... CUSTOMER SERVICE.... CUSTOMER SERVICE!....... AUUUUGGGGGHHH! ##########,0000000#########254434563462656574562452435346545656, REPRESENTATIVE! Slam hangup

Were you eavesdropping on my call to Dell on Monday? Thank you for at least removing all the curse words I had interspersed in there too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
What I want to know is what was so flawed about the old way;

People and money.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
People have to be paid, given benefits, etc. Computers you pay for once and are done. They also work 24/7/365.25.

quote:
What ever happened to the switchboard operator that could answer your call and after you explained to them why you were calling and what for they could direct your call to the proper person?

I hate when you call somewhere and the infernal thing tells you to push 1 for this and 2 for this and 3 for something else nd 4 for something else and etc and etc and round and round we go and no options are anywhere close to the subject you are calling about.

What I want to know is what was so flawed about the old way; maybe you could actually accomplish what you called about.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If I can’t find the option I am looking for I will press 0, get the not a valid selection response and press it again. Repeat this 5 or 6 times and some of the systems will default to a live operator.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, had to call Chase 3 times last week to get a real person to remove the fraud hold on my card so I could get gas in CA.

Have also heard, that for some companies, if you press the Spanish language option, you're transferred to a bi-lingual person here in the US, rather than a partial English speaker overseas. Never tried it myself, so don't know if it's true, and can't recall the company it was originally referenced to.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Choose the one labeled sales or the like. You WILL get a human and promptly. Then you have them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Computers you pay for once and are done.

Ha ha... that's what people think, anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
If I can’t find the option I am looking for I will press 0, get the not a valid selection response and press it again. Repeat this 5 or 6 times and some of the systems will default to a live operator.

This. It works almost every time for me.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Your call is important to us". So.... If it is then pick up the damn phone.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Well, in a relative sense. The ongoing costs, especially for something as simple as an audiotext system, are vastly lower than having a human do the work.

quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Money. Some businesses that value your time,do have people answering your call who are polite, knowledgeable etc. I try to patronize those businesses as much as possible. There are quite a few that still exist. Part of the secret is having the direct number of the person you wish to speak with. In some cases I would rather have a machine than deal with a foreign operator you cannot understand.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

A better option is to press the option for SALES. There is always someone who answers in that department particulary if they depend on commission.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Well, in a relative sense. The ongoing costs, especially for something as simple as an audiotext system, are vastly lower than having a human do the work.

quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

You still need licensing, software support, hardware support and there are always changes to the IVR. Always.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had to call one software company a while ago to get help with a driver update. No matter how hard I tried it took me six or seven levels of AI/voice questions to get to a point where it would recommend that I read the FAQs online and hang up.

That is when I found the secret. The secret is when you get an AI voice asking you questions...

...respond with gibberish. I did a Steve Martin- The AI said, for blah blah, say "3", for Ya ya say "4", etc.

I said... Mambo, dogpatch banana. The voice got all confused and said "repeat".
... Mambo, dogpatch banana.

There was a pause, a click sounded and the AI said..."Connecting to an operator"...
Works pretty much all the time with Interactive Voice Response systems. Give it a try-

Once you get a human where you end up is up to you...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I want one for my cell phone. God damn telemarketers spoof the first 7 digits making the call look local, and call me way too often. Having the automated menus would screw with their autodialers, and menu would waste their people's time.

Base Menu:
  • Does Todd have a facial birthmark on his right cheek press 1 (this is going to endless menu hell)
  • Does Todd have a facial birthmark on his left cheek press 2 (this is going to endless menu hell)
  • Does Todd lack a facial birthmark press 3 (this rings to my phone)
  • Press 4 if you are uncertain whether or not Todd has a facial birthmark
  • To repeat press 5

Option 4 menu:
  • if you work at Todd's doctor's office press 1 (this goes to voicemail)
  • if you work at Todd's pharmacy press 2 (this goes to voicemail)
  • if you would like to sell Todd something press 3 (this is going to endless menu hell)
  • if you would like to discuss religion with Todd press 4 (this is going to endless menu hell)
  • if you would like Todd's opinion press 5 (this is going to endless menu hell)
  • if you would like Todd's to make a donation press 6 (this is going to endless menu hell)
  • To repeat press 7

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

And, of course, their menu options have always changed.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I tried to call the local Fidelity office today. Twice on the local number, and once with the 1 800 number.... after an annoying series of stupid automated questions, put on hold all three times; an operator will be with you shortly.

I drove there, had a free Keurig coffee in the lobby, and before I was done, talked to a real live person who may have solved my problem. I spent less time waiting in the office than waiting on hold.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post