SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Burning the candle at both ends...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burning the candle at both ends... Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
Man, I'm so wiped out.

As some of you are certainly aware from previous postings, I've begun to venture down the road of developing mobile apps.

Well, over the course of a drunken argument with a fellow PRS competitor at a bar, and idea was born. It is since morphed into something that almost every match shooter that I've talked to is interested in; excited about even. It actually has the potential to be pretty popular, and has a lot more potential behind the scenes. The mechanics of what it is and does are unimportant to this little rant, but suffice to say that the National Rifle League is very interested, and I have a marketing guy that is meeting with the Precision Rifle Series director at a match this Friday.

Therein lies my problem - the marketing guy has already had the meeting set up for some time now to discuss other things. I just happened to reach out to him (he's an acquaintance) at just the right time, and he said he knows exactly how to frame this to the PRS to get their support as well. He wants to bring it up at that meeting this Friday. As if that's not enough, there are two entire teams worth of shooters that are also expecting this will be completed in time for that match this weekend.
Super.

So, that means that the app needs to be fully functional for Friday so that match competitors can hit the Play store and download it and use it for the match.

Not only is there a mobile app, but there's also a web-based component that match directors will use as well. I spent all night Saturday (until 0400) standing up a LAMP server in the cloud, figuring out how to code PHP (a new language to me), and writing this page to make it do what I need it to do. And it does, it's mechanically sound. Looks like it was written by a 4 year old with a box of crayons, but it's functionally sound.

So naturally, yesterday I was pretty wiped out. Make some progress on the app, but not as much as I needed to. Fell asleep on the couch after dinner at about 7 PM and woke up there this morning.

My work week this week is chock full, so no chance of taking a day off to work on this. Tomorrow night I have something else that has to be done that I most likely cannot get out of.

Hell, I probably shouldn't even be wasting time posting this rant, but I needed to just vent.

I have probably at least 8-10 more hours of coding to do before I can even begin to test. So, syntactically, all my code is solid (the IDE checks that for you, hooray!), but with how sleep deprived I'm getting, I'm less certain about my logic.

I literally have like 4 more "pages" (called activities) to design the UI for, and then I have like 6 big pieces of logic to code.

At least the database is all designed and laid out, and my data types are all defined in classes, so there's that.

But basically, if I don't have this thing ready to go before I go to bed Thursday night, I'm going to miss a huge opportunity, and I pretty much have Wednesday and Thursday after work to get it completed, tested, and published.

Oh, and I still have to figure out how to code in-app purchases, something else I've never done before. Hooray!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
sounds good!
I hope this all works out for you.

I thought I wanted to try coding a while back, but it's just too tedious for me.

And keep the 5HRs and Snickers bars coming! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome! Keep pushing man. Youll get there and itll be worth the payoff. I started a side gig myself but the deadlines havent caught up to me yet. Workin about 13 a day.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post