SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lowes will not rekey your lock unless you bought it there
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowes will not rekey your lock unless you bought it there Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted
WOW...I can not believe they are serious. The first time I stopped in to have a lock rekeyed, the person that does it was not there.

Then today I stop in and they won't rekey it since I didn't buy it there. While I did buy it there several years ago, I probably don't have the receipt but what is the big deal.

I worked in that store 14 years ago when it opened for about nine months. They paid regular time for hours worked over 40 hours which is illegal. In addition, the more hours you worked over 40, your hourly rate decreased. Then the New York Attorney General caught up with them and some got back pay. Now they only work 40 hour weeks.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Based on aggravation just about every time I have been in the store, I am no a fan of Lowe's.

Your local Ace Hardware store will re-key your lock and will give you much better service than Lowe's.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based on aggravation just about every time I have been in the store, I am no a fan of Lowe's.

Your local Ace Hardware store will re-key your lock and will give you much better service than Lowe's.

Yep. Home Depot does the same stuff. Problem here is finding Ace Hardware store close by. I have had to use a walk in locksmith store before. They know what they are doing and also know about locks, not just junk stuff they sell at the big box places.

The one Lowes near here is not too bad if you go there early. The hire a lot of retired Navy Seabees who are knowledgeable and provide good service.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Problem here is finding Ace Hardware store close by.
How 'bout True Value? They're good, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found Re-key-it-Yourself bags of pins, keys, and instructions for various brands of locks at a home-store some years ago.

The last one went way faster than the first one, but it was not difficult. The price was good and I did the work at my own convenience.

Posts: 1343 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Lowes and Home Depot both are worthless in my book.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3107 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How 'bout True Value? They're good, too.

Bingo. Thanks. The local Ace Hardware by my office closed last year. The guy even had an FFL which was convenient.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Yep. Home Depot does the same stuff. Problem here is finding Ace Hardware store close by. I have had to use a walk in locksmith store before. They know what they are doing and also know about locks, not just junk stuff they sell at the big box places.

The one Lowes near here is not too bad if you go there early. The hire a lot of retired Navy Seabees who are knowledgeable and provide good service.

Sounds like the lowes on 90 in Gauitar

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is the Lowes on Hwy 49 in Gulfport.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They must have changed the policy since I worked there. It does not make any sense but results in a pissed off customer.

I think I will buy a kit and do it myself. Home Depot didn't have anyone that was trained to do it.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
True value is really good if you need help. They seem to be staffed with people that know what they are doing.

Our local True value is a tiny place with crappy hours, closes at 7PM and not open on Sundays. However, they are great to work with.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
True value is really good if you need help. They seem to be staffed with people that know what they are doing.

Our local True value is a tiny place with crappy hours, closes at 7PM and not open on Sundays. However, they are great to work with.
When you deal with stores like Ace or True Value, you are dealing with staff who are much closer to the owner than staff in Home Depot or Lowe's. The owner likely oversees staff training. Employees who are not customer-friendly will not last very long in these independently owned stores. I find much better service in them. I can actually find an employee to answer questions and show me where to find what I need.

I will not set foot in a Home Depot or Lowe's unless there is absolutely no other choice!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Sigforum said: "You'll be fine trust us."

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
I'm a Millwork guy at a midwest retail chain and I have rekeyed a lock that was brought in from outside, they had picked up a variation we did not carry and they were buying a keypad lock from us so I reykeyed the lock to match the keypad. If someone brings in a lock I'll charge them a fee of 3 bucks that covers the time to rekey and ensure proper function of the set.

~------------------------------~
"Other Duties as Assigned"

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will not set foot in a Home Depot or Lowe's unless there is absolutely no other choice!

I am lucky, Ace Hardware is 1 block closer to me than Lowes.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4246 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
I am lucky, Ace Hardware is 1 block closer to me than Lowes.
Even if it were a couple miles further, it would be worth the drive.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Why should LOWE's rekey a used lock you didn't buy there? They're a hardware store, not a locksmith.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I did buy it there several years ago. They never had that policy when I worked there. And who keeps receipts back that far.

It is a new dead bolt cylinder to replace the one on the garage door that was messed up by someone.

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I did buy it there several years ago. They never had that policy when I worked there. And who keeps receipts back that far.

It is a new dead bolt cylinder to replace the one on the garage door that was messed up by someone.

even if you did keep your receipt you probably wouldn't be able to read it the ink they use fades over time Roll Eyes

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like my local Lowes over Home Depot. Normally they are cleaner less crowded.

For keys and if I needed a lock rekeyed I go use a local locksmith. Those stupid machines they use the make keys seem to have too many issues.

Give me an old key machine where you line up the old key and key blank and move the thing by hand. An old job had an old key machine. It was easy to use and I used to buy 50 key blanks for a few bucks.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16374 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So I go into Lowes today in my home town and ask them to rekey the lock telling them I had bought the lock several years ago. I told the guy I use to work at Lowes and how they treated the employees and how much I liked working there and some other occurrences.

So he rekeyed the lock and didn't charge me anything. He looked it up and they do not charge for rekeying locks bought there.

So I decided to spend some money so I bought a fig tree that was marked down. When I got home, I noticed they charged me $3 instead of the 3 for $21 shown on the pot. The Gods of Luck was with me today. Smile