SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Jake Brakes and Juvenile Truckers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jake Brakes and Juvenile Truckers Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Look, I get it, okay? Jake brakes save you a ton of wear on your brakes (and therefore a ton of money) but RUN THAT FUCKER THROUGH THE MUFFLER ALREADY!

We've got a boat transporter around here that runs a straight dump on his jake and rides that fucker all the way down the 3/4 mile long hill coming into town. Usually at oh-dark-thirty in the morning.

Asshole.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had a neighbor that got trash service on Thursdays,
picked up at his house, not curbside

so every Thursday, like clockwork, 630a, a loud pos trash truck would ride down his driveway, get his trash and out the other side of his drive,

passed within 50-75ft of my bedroom window....

fortunately I had to get up about that time

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I live on a road that is near a quarry, the trucks start about 3am and run most of the day. They jake down the hill and jake up the hill. The corn trucks are the worst, younger drivers just love the noise. Sucks to be me, at least I don't live right on the road. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
trash truck

The local HVAC distributor's warehouse is about 250 yards from my house, but topographically it's a bit higher -- about the same as my bedroom window.

Tuesday must be trash day up there, for I wake up (about a half hour earlier than I really need to) to the metallic "CLANG!" of the Dumpsters being picked up, dumped, and slammed back onto the concrete pads.

One of these days, I'm going to walk over there and ask them to plant some Leyland cypress or something around the Dumpster pen as a noise break. Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Petition the city and/or county for an ordnance addressing hours for Jake on a given stretch of road?

Like "no Jake brakes between 8pm and 8am?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Dad had engine retarders on all the trucks he owned.
He also had mufflers on them.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Entrances into Wickenburg are all downhill, and they all have signs posted that say "Vehicle noise ordinances strictly enforced", and they are.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
We had Telma Retarders on the trucks after getting rid of the JakeBrakes.
Much nicer.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I live on a road that is near a quarry, the trucks start about 3am and run most of the day. They jake down the hill and jake up the hill. The corn trucks are the worst, younger drivers just love the noise. Sucks to be me, at least I don't live right on the road. Chris

Confused Don’t know what you’re hearing, but it isn’t the engine brake.

Those 90’s era Detroit 60 series were the worst. The brakes sound like an explosion. All trucks since 2007 have dpf filters, so you can barely hear the engine brakes.

My engine brakes are quieter than the turbo. No need to ever turn them off now. And so much more powerful. Friction brakes are now just city brakes. No need for them on long downgrades with 600hp, quiet, engine brakes.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post