SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gunbroker sellers who overvalue their stuff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunbroker sellers who overvalue their stuff Login/Join 
Picture of bjor13
posted
I bid on an early model 1903, the auction started @ $.01 with no reserve and was 10 days long. I bid $1001 early on and the final bidding reached $555 - should be a decent deal for me. Today the seller contacted me and said no sale he meant to list it for $3000 (if it was worth $3000 - he would have gotten close) - I am just not sure how to handle it - had I bid $3000 he would have expected me to pay, If I give him negative feedback - he will surely do the same, if I don't he just gets to make his own rules. I truly hate the less than 1% of gun owners who ruin it for the rest of us!

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You won the bid, he has renegged, slam him hard.

If he retaliates, take it to GB.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
In some ways, who care if he trashes you in a rebuttal- it's easy to respond the it's payback for honest feedback that the seller backed out of a deal.

it would help the general cause if you do leave negative feedback - some of us will avoid his auctions. Here's what I'd put.

I was the high bidder on auction xxxy (I'll email you confirmation if you want proof). Seller responded saying he meant to have a reserve and was unhappy with the low price on the auction. Therefore he refused to honor the transaction.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
was 10 days long

It took him 10 days to figure out he messed up? That's his problem, not yours. Second it's not worth $3,000. I can say that sight unseen and having zero knowledge of the 1903 market. If it was worth $3,000 it wouldn't have sold for a sixth of that price. In fact if was truly worth $3,000 it would have sold for $3,500, because that's what happens on there.

If he canceled after two days that would be acceptable, but not after it ended. I made a mistake on a bid once and immediately contacted GB and seller. I was not able to set it to the ceiling I wanted and paid $50 more than the buy it now price offered by many others. I took my lumps so should he.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Too bad on him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
was 10 days long

It took him 10 days to figure out he messed up? That's his problem, not yours. Second it's not worth $3,000. I can say that sight unseen and having zero knowledge of the 1903 market. If it was worth $3,000 it wouldn't have sold for a sixth of that price. In fact if was truly worth $3,000 it would have sold for $3,500, because that's what happens on there.

If he canceled after two days that would be acceptable, but not after it ended. I made a mistake on a bid once and immediately contacted GB and seller. I was not able to set it to the ceiling I wanted and paid $50 more than the buy it now price offered by many others. I took my lumps so should he.

market forces etc etc dictate that it is worth whatever the high bid was,

having said that it may have been worth 3K or so, or not, hard to say without any info, and the seller apparently had it marketed/listed poorly

regardless of all that, fact is the OP bid, won, and expected to get the rifle,

the seller should oblige, regardless,

and yes, file a grievance (not sure if buyers can, I rarely buy, just sell) on GB, and leave negative, but polite, feedback,

you only have a set number of spaces/characters/letters you can use so be factual and to the point, leave the drama out,

for your records if you feel the need, print or screenshot the auction and all correspondence , since it all drops off the gunbroker site after 90 days, (listings, not sure if they keep any of the internal messages)

would like the OP to post the auction number to check it out,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
this is the response I got when I called him out on it.

account closed sale cancelled
GB in error
no gun willl be delivered
buy now listed price not achieved that was listed
their error
sorry

this guys has a feedback of 95 and is a gold member but is acting like it was his first ever online auction.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make certain you complain to Gunbroker. This jerk is the bane of every auction site.

Perhaps they can prevent him from rejoining under another name.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a con artist.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You really need to hit his feedback negatively.
Don't get abusive just state the simple facts so that others can see what he's done and avoid him.
Pretty sure by doing so he will at least be stuck with having to pay all the GB sellers fee's.
Also contact GB and let them know what he's done as well.
If he leaves you false feedback ask that it be removed.
Don't let him get by with this crap!

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow, what an asshole. Definitely let him have it with negative. And, complain to GB, also.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
this is the response I got when I called him out on it.

account closed sale cancelled
GB in error
no gun willl be delivered
buy now listed price not achieved that was listed
their error
sorry

this guys has a feedback of 95 and is a gold member but is acting like it was his first ever online auction.

betting he was using a reserve on that gun and removed it when he realized it's a 2% charge now for reserves,

as in he did not up his starting bid, and now want to back out,

do a search on the listing (advanced, completed auctions, and the listing title) and I'll bet it has been running a good while

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback - looks like my feedback spurred some others and the guy is no longer a registered user

F ssumrall A+(3)
07/12/2018777659166
"sorry GB in error NO sale asking price WAS not reached" & "item and account cancelled w/ GB after 10 years price was much more they are in error
sorry for GB error msg claiming a sale
NO SALE made"

F mtbgrs A+(403)

07/12/2018777641711
the seller never completed the transaction with my high bid of $571.00, he wrote "buy now price was not achieved,they were in error, sorry no sale". Seller must learn not to start an auction at $0

F TTLLC1 A+(359)

07/11/2018777659228
Seller unhappy with price realized and refuses to honor the auction, blames Gunbroker. In my opinion, this seller over-graded this firearm and had very unrealistic expectations. Buyers beware.

F brjordan A+(71)
07/11/2018777641673
10 day auction, .01 start, buy it now price, 13 bids. Seller refused sale because buy it now price was not achieved. Response from seller was; account closed, sale cancelled
GB in error.

Delete Feedback

posted Hide Post
I just hope the dirtbag doesn't register a new account, under another name. I hate scumbags like that

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
From the info this thread has provided, I would speculate he runs no reserve auctions to stimulate interest and lower his own fees, but if he doesn't get the price he wants, he claims GunBroker error. What a scumbag system he has going.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Glad he's NARU'ed. If he re-registers under a new alias but pulls the same stunts, they will chop him again.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post