SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why use "Welp" instead of "Well"?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why use "Welp" instead of "Well"? Login/Join 
posted
As in:

"Welp, I guess I'll do this/that/other."

or

"Welp, back to the drawing board."

What is this about? Why type or say this instead of using the correct word, or am I missing something?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My ex Alabama in laws got "welp marks" as opposed to welts

I don't have an answer to your question

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
As in:

"Welp, I guess I'll do this/that/other."

or

"Welp, back to the drawing board."

What is this about? Why type or say this instead of using the correct word, or am I missing something?

They're both interjections, used in this context, but "welp" can be an interjection that borders on being an exclamation expressing an emotion, such as surprise or disappointment.

E.g.: We had some painting done the last few days. Still putting things back together. "Well, done with lunch. Guess I best get back to it." Contrast with...

The day the painter was here. Spotted a weird spot on the ceiling. I got up on the ladder. Poked it. A 5-6" section just crumbled and fell out--along with some of the remnants of a wasp nest. "Welp! That's gonna need fixing!"

(As an aside: With that we discovered why the roofers, three summers back, had such a hard time eradicating the critters when they were working on that corner.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It's a made up word used by stupid people. Aggravates the shit out of me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I think it's meant to be a combination of "well" and "gulp."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

You makes me cry.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard it’s use in the Great Plains states.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic - I appreciate your reply, but it doesn't answer why using the wrong word in the wrong context makes any sense. People have been using "Well" as an interjection for many years, and in that context it works, "Welp" does not.

I'm going to go with PHPaul on this one.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Anywho......

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Made up word used by smart people. We use it to aggravate and confuse the easily aggravated.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Made up word used by smart people. We use it to aggravate and confuse the easily aggravated.

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
So common here in the Midwest I’ve never given it a thought. Is it not used in other parts of the country?

I can’t tell you why I choose one over the other, and I do use them interchangeably. Maybe to convey a bit of resignation about a project that must be done like it or not.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm curious. (As usual.)

Are we annoyed because we see the offending word in print somewhere, or because we hear it in use?

I ask because I have yet to see it like that, though I hear it some.

Frankly, I'd be annoyed seeing the word "welp." But as for hearing it: I figure it has to do with the emotion of the situation. Perhaps the emotion of the moment (frustration, annoyance, aggravation, for instance) brings about an abrupt truncation to the enunciation of the word, leading to the perception of a "p" at the end.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this. Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I always hear it as, whelp.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I hear someone say welp, I know I’m in for story telling time.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
So common here in the Midwest I’ve never given it a thought. Is it not used in other parts of the country?

I can’t tell you why I choose one over the other, and I do use them interchangeably. Maybe to convey a bit of resignation about a project that must be done like it or not.

Indeed. In my own infrequent usage I tend to use 'well' when the choice is positive, Welp is used if the expected result is 'fail'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You AXE a good question

Dmac

Posts: 22 | Location: Coastal Massachusetts | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I always hear it as, whelp.

Thats why... It is people saying "Well..!" with an uptick in octave at the end, as in sighing and saying it at same time.

To others, hearing it sounds like whelp.

Aggravating as hell to see it typed in that context, and idiots actually saying it.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I'm curious. (As usual.)

Are we annoyed because we see the offending word in print somewhere, or because we hear it in use?

I ask because I have yet to see it like that, though I hear it some.

Frankly, I'd be annoyed seeing the word "welp." But as for hearing it: I figure it has to do with the emotion of the situation. Perhaps the emotion of the moment (frustration, annoyance, aggravation, for instance) brings about an abrupt truncation to the enunciation of the word, leading to the perception of a "p" at the end.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this. Confused

Both spoken and written. Neither makes sense and both sound dumb to me.

Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Living in North Dallas county, I've never heard the word. It must be regional?

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post