SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Boss said no political meme, and what happened?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boss said no political meme, and what happened? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite threads just got locked and I'm pissed. I sure hope someone takes their hat in their hand and goes in to the boss's office and apologizes.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is correctable. See if you can figure out how.

My guess would be for the poster to remove the political themed photo with the baby carriages at the rally that was posted right after the warning was issued...and for him and the other members to take Para's warning seriously...and stop the bickering too...

This was a good thread with some funny stuff...it caused much joy Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If that “man” didn’t notice and read something by the owner of this forum two posts up from his, why do we believe he’s going to notice this thread, much less apologize. He got to make his oh-so-important political statement, and I’m sure that’s all that matters.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
This is correctable. See if you can figure out how.
My guess would be for the poster to remove the political themed photo with the baby carriages at the rally that was posted right after the warning was issued...and for him and the other members to take Para's warning seriously...and stop the bickering too...
Correct, except the poster who got the thread locked can't delete his post. I'll have to do that. What he can do is send me an email stating that he understands the issue.

I will not babysit that thread, which means that you guys are going to have to police it, but you should do so gently and calmly. Ask any offender to please remove the political content, and if need be, point them to my comments in this thread. Don't get into a shouting match with someone over it. If they won't comply once this has been pointed out, just let me know, using the Report-this-post feature which appears in the lower right hand corner of every post.

Once I hear from the member in question, we can proceed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
May we assume that "political" means anything with an image or the name of any person who has ever been in the government in any capacity?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, if you guys are going to ask me questions like that, maybe the thread just needs to stay closed.

We don't need to be badgering lastmanstanding and I am not providing you or anyone else with a Common Sense Checklist.

"Oh, there's John Smith, who was a member of his town's city council for one term back in the 1990s, so, he's out"

Come on

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
May we assume that "political" means anything with an image or the name of any person who has ever been in the government in any capacity?

flashguy

I believes what the boss is saying is there there is a difference between funny and crass.

The post responsible for the key being tossed was crass; showing a pic of Baraaack next to one of London Tower's ravens - a funny conversation worthy of a picture. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, gentlemen such a case of the vapors I have never seen from a group of supposed adult men! 3 or is it 4 separate threads on this? And the emails I have been receiving!
And the name calling, oh my the name calling. Ass wipe, shithead and disparaging remarks about my reading comprehension? Well it's as if you are trying to insult me personally!

A man with tender sensibilities might be angrily offended but fear not gentlemen I am not such a man and am not offended so we are still friends.

So let me see if I can put the nook back in the mouth of some of you members.

I haven't read everything but I seen Para has been trying to return the calm blue ocean and for that I'm appreciative.

Para here is how this came to be. The Funny Picture/Meme thread is one I had been casually following. I may have even posted in one of the earlier pages. In no way did I read every post in every page. Many of the postings I had already seen elsewhere so I simply did not check it every page.

The idea that there could be bickering among members in a funny picture/meme thread just never occurred to me. To be honest I still don't know what the bickering could have been that lead you to ban political pictures or memes.
The fact that it happened in a thread of that subject matter gives me a better appreciation for the task at hand you have in moderating some of the membership.

So when I came across the picture of young Mr. Kennedy I thought of that thread. When I went to the thread there was a new page with one posting on it. Your posting about political pictures and bickering was at the bottom of the previous page.

Now I have been disparaged on these pages by members for not reading every page or going back a page etc. Well quite frankly people it's a damn funny picture/meme thread! What in the hell is there to go back and read?? It's nothing but page after page of funny pictures that are totally disconnected from one another. There is no continuity, no new information except another picture or meme that means nothing to the hundreds before it.

When I go to the Trump thread or the Fisa thread or any of the other political or news story threads I read back sometimes several pages if I haven't stayed current on the content in order to avoid double posting. But I seen no reason to do this in that thread.

Bottom line is I simply never seen Para's post on the political restriction and bickering.
I have been hanging around this board for over 10 years and over 5000 posts. Do you guys actually think I would purposely and willingly commit forum suicide by flying in the face of one of Para's restrictions? Really?

My hope Para is that you understand my position and reopen the thread at which time I will return to it and delete the offending post.

I realize it is early morning and this post will not be read most likely until I am off to work. It may be later before I can delete the post if it becomes reopened.

I apologize to you Para for the additional grief this has caused you from a thread that should require little to no moderating.

For the rest of you I hope you can cease the hyper ventilating now.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Gentlemen, gentlemen such a case of the vapors I have never seen from a group of supposed adult men! 3 or is it 4 separate threads on this? And the emails I have been receiving!
And the name calling, oh my the name calling. Ass wipe, shithead and disparaging remarks about my reading comprehension? Well it's as if you are trying to insult me personally!

A man with tender sensibilities might be angrily offended but fear not gentlemen I am not such a man and am not offended so we are still friends.

So let me see if I can put the nook back in the mouth of some of you members.

I haven't read everything but I seen Para has been trying to return the calm blue ocean and for that I'm appreciative.

Para here is how this came to be. The Funny Picture/Meme thread is one I had been casually following. I may have even posted in one of the earlier pages. In no way did I read every post in every page. Many of the postings I had already seen elsewhere so I simply did not check it every page.

The idea that there could be bickering among members in a funny picture/meme thread just never occurred to me. To be honest I still don't know what the bickering could have been that lead you to ban political pictures or memes.
The fact that it happened in a thread of that subject matter gives me a better appreciation for the task at hand you have in moderating some of the membership.

So when I came across the picture of young Mr. Kennedy I thought of that thread. When I went to the thread there was a new page with one posting on it. Your posting about political pictures and bickering was at the bottom of the previous page.

Now I have been disparaged on these pages by members for not reading every page or going back a page etc. Well quite frankly people it's a damn funny picture/meme thread! What in the hell is there to go back and read?? It's nothing but page after page of funny pictures that are totally disconnected from one another. There is no continuity, no new information except another picture or meme that means nothing to the hundreds before it.

When I go to the Trump thread or the Fisa thread or any of the other political or news story threads I read back sometimes several pages if I haven't stayed current on the content in order to avoid double posting. But I seen no reason to do this in that thread.

Bottom line is I simply never seen Para's post on the political restriction and bickering.
I have been hanging around this board for over 10 years and over 5000 posts. Do you guys actually think I would purposely and willingly commit forum suicide by flying in the face of one of Para's restrictions? Really?

My hope Para is that you understand my position and reopen the thread at which time I will return to it and delete the offending post.

I realize it is early morning and this post will not be read most likely until I am off to work. It may be later before I can delete the post if it becomes reopened.

I apologize to you Para for the additional grief this has caused you from a thread that should require little to no moderating.

For the rest of you I hope you can cease the hyper ventilating now.

I threw a thread out there figuring that you missed Para’s post and did not know about the thread getting locked. Since Para made it clear you were the only one he wanted to hear from the ball was in your court.

Any name calling, death threats, or voodoo curses could be considered a little over the top. The reason I put a thread out there instead of an e-mail was so others would see that it was out there already.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen such a case of the vapors ...
Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not "name calling."

I think that just a simple apology to Parabellum, maybe with a very short statement that you somehow missed his mandate to abstain from political commentary in the thread for humor, would be sufficient.

No need for a long post describing the reaction toward you from members.

Keep it simple. Please?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let the man respond in full. You guys created multiple threads about this, with some of you behaving in this thread and others as if he has committed some horrible transgression. How would you like to have so many forum members scowling at you?

Let's come back down to Earth, please, and try to remember that the issue is about the closing of a frivolous thread, nothing substantive.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
What in the hell is there to go back and read?? It's nothing but page after page of funny pictures that are totally disconnected from one another. There is no continuity, no new information except another picture or meme that means nothing to the hundreds before it.

My opinion, I'd read the recent pages to make sure I wasn't posting the same thing as someone else.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
lastmanstanding:

Well said. Every single word.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope those who were distraut enough to resort to childish name calling and profanity are also as quick to offer apologies for their behavior given the explanation.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
lastmanstanding:

Well said. Every single word.

Yeah I think I am willing to forgive him. Luckily I hadn't started sharpening my pitch fork or oiling my torches yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
To be clear, I see both sides of this. The way this transpired is almost certainly my fault. I should have approached this differently after the thread lock. That's the truth- lastmanstanding didn't create this mess, nor did those members who expressed frustration after the thread lock. This is my doing.

Let's stop for a moment and realize what a small fraternity we have here, and that while lack of face-to-face communication makes friendship difficult, we are not enemies.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen such a case of the vapors I have never seen from a group of supposed adult men! 3 or is it 4 separate threads on this? And the emails I have been receiving! And the name calling, oh my the name calling. Ass wipe, shithead and disparaging remarks about my reading comprehension? Well it's as if you are trying to insult me personally!
People did that?? What the hell is that crap? "Calling out" on the forum: bad. Invading personal e-mail: worse. Invading personal e-mail and with insults? Unforgivable. Everybody who did that should be ashamed of themselves, and apologize, if they've got the guts. That's about as mildly as I can put it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I didn’t email him, but I most certainly do publicly apologize for calling him an ass-wipe! Totally uncalled for on my part, and I’m sorry!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
People did that?? What the hell is that crap? "Calling out" on the forum: bad.

Disagree on this point. Emphatically.

Just seen in another thead:

quote:
Oh, are we discussing politics in this thread?

quote:
Also, why are we commenting on the appearance of others?

*sigh*

Why must some members force para to repeat the same God damn cautions over and over and over and over and over again? He shouldn't have to do this. It is bullshit that he finds it necessary so often.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
While we’re at it, does anybody know the current count on how many times the membership has been requested to knock it off with ambiguous click bait thread titles?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P210,

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post