SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How to get out of debt.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get out of debt. Login/Join 
posted
I just had an article/advertisement show up in my yahoo news feed. The title of the "article" was

"How to get out of debt without getting a loan."

Well no shit Sherlock.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Right up there with "How to lose weight."

"Eat less, exercise more." Um...duh?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

LOL.....I always tell people "Eat right, exercise more"

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
How about not buying all the extra crap no one needs to begin with?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are tons of ads about " How to pay off your mortgage early " . It's just a pitch for a refinance .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Make more money. Spend less. Pay off shit.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
There are tons of ads about " How to pay off your mortgage early " . It's just a pitch for a refinance .
We paid our mortgage off early. I divided the monthly payment by four, rounded it up to a nice even number, and sent that to the bank each week. Whenever I had a little extra cash, I sent another check.

We cleared the mortgage about a year ago. It feels good!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:

Well no shit Sherlock.

Borrowing to pay bills is just trading one debt for another debt, I think is his point.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
We paid our mortgage off early. I divided the monthly payment by four, rounded it up to a nice even number, and sent that to the bank each week. Whenever I had a little extra cash, I sent another check.

Writing and sending that last house payment is one of the best feelings in life. We did it 15 years ago and retired debt free and pay cash for everything. It isn't easy, but is doable if you set your mind to it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How to Pay Off a Home!
1) Don't get Married
2) If you get married don't divorce
3) If you get divorced, don't remarry
4) if you remarry, don't do it again
5) or again!

I have bought 3 houses for 3 ex-wives!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Writing and sending that last house payment is one of the best feelings in life.
Jim

^^ This! ^^

Feels great at any age.

You'll forget all of the extra jobs / projects / overtime that went on beforehand.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paid off our mortgage this month . Awesome feeling . Now if I can pay off the truck we'll be debt free .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

One of the best ways to do it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
I just had an article/advertisement show up in my yahoo news feed. The title of the "article" was

Well no shit Sherlock.

While I don't know the context of that article it probably is the same advice Dave Ramsey gives. Structure your debt differently than you do now. Commonsense approach many people don't think of.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
How to Pay Off a Home!
1) Don't get Married
5) or again!

Much wisdom in that post.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get the same ads as everyone else but what I find most enticing is all the hot chix that want to do me.
The gals must have gotten wind that I bought the weenie enlargement pills I was offered.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
How to Pay Off a Home!
1) Don't get Married
5) or again!

You need a better lawyer!

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Buy less than you can afford. If you can pay the monthly payments on a 400k house, buy a 300k house. If you can afford a new 40k truck every 5 years, buy a 30k truck every 10.

I’m not rich, but I got three paid off vehicles, a nice savings and zero debt other than the mortgage.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
In the manner of Sam Kinison (may he R.I.P.)...

LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post