SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sue, sue, sue: Are you secretly hoping for something bad to happen so you can sue?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sue, sue, sue: Are you secretly hoping for something bad to happen so you can sue? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I read about many terrible events, and never once does “Someone needs to be sued” pop into my mind—except when I read about them here and then sooner or later that’s exactly what someone posts: “Someone needs to be sued.”

I’m really beginning to think that some people look upon lawsuits as a sort of lottery like Power Ball. The chance of getting a bunch of money that way is small, but we can hope, right? The only reason I can think of why that’s never far from some people’s minds is because they’re hoping it will happen to them.

If you’re one of them, be careful what you wish for. Money isn’t likely to really compensate for being crippled or losing a loved one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more. I whole heartedly believe people look for ways in which they can sue someone, how many time have you seen something in the news? My coffee was to hot, I slipped on the ice near your restaurant, I caused an auto accident but I'm suing you because you look like you're rich. I get so pissed off when I read one of these stories.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I agree. Years ago, I was chatting with my bartender in a heavy drinking bar about a mutual acquaintance who was injured and had a lawsuit going. She said she wished something like that would happen to her. I asked "Why would you wish that?" She replied "It's the only way someone like me can make it out. We don't have the education and advantages that you have. It's our lottery"

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think you can blame a whole lot of lawyers too. Mad

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Somewhere out there, online, there's a guy standing in front of a Walmart under the "Pharmacy" sign. The sign is made of individual letters attached to the building. The letter "P" is tilted. When the guy was asked why he was standing under the sign all day long, he said he's waiting for the "P" to fall off the building and hit him. Then, he could sue Walmart.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I think insurance has a much to do with it, more so than lawyers. The lawyers may play ball on the pitch, but the insurance companies, and their willingness to settle regardless of fault, certainly provides the motivation.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just for giggles look at all the warnings plastered to a ladder next time you're at Home Depot. The side must have 5 large stickers of warning.

Years ago I read where close to 1/3 the cost of many light aviation planes/parts are due to liability expenses.

One can go read the troubling story of the 'Blitz' fuel can factory. It was shut down after many years after liability issues/settlements.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Folks around here complain “there’s nothing for kids to.”

Someone put in a bounce house/climbing wall type place.

About 6 months later, a kid breaks a leg or something. Place is sued out of business.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Years ago I read where close to 1/3 the cost of many light aviation planes/parts are due to liability expenses.
Don't get me started on that.

The first airplane I owned, a BeechCraft Model 23 Musketeer: I bought it when it was one year old. The price that we paid for it at the time, would not even cover the product liability insurance premium that the factory would need to pay today, before the airplane would even leave the factory, if that model were still in production.

I don't remember the exact date, but it was some time in the early 1980s that the Big Three, BeechCraft, Cessna, and Piper, ceased production of just about all single engine General Aviation aircraft, due to the cost of product liability insurance. There were some changes in tort law, and they are producing some airplanes now, in very limited quantities, but nothing like it was pre-1980.

The owner of the shop that does our maintenance spends an incredible amount of time on the internet and on the phone trying to chase down parts that are virtually unavailable, partly due to liability costs, and partly due to the onerous FAA regulations.

Example: The seat backs in the V-Tail recline. The pilot's seat back is controlled by a positive mechanism -- a sector gear. All of the other seat backs have a Hydor-Lok cylinder for reclining. When one of ours went bad we took it to a hydraulic shop to have the O-rings replaced, but they said that the inside of the cylinder was scored and it needed to be replaced, not repaired. BeechCraft wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of seven hundred dollars for this part.

We peeled off the BeechCraft label and under it was the original manufacturer's label -- Hydro-Lok, along with the part number. Contacted Hydro-Lok and they said that their price was $178.00, but they would not sell it for aircraft use. Unlike Paul Harvey, I am not going to tell you "the rest of the story."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
In Alabama "lawyers", more like ambulance chasers, can produce ads that "almost" make you tink you will become a millionaire. And these ads are on the air constantly so they might be working. Glad that Florida Bar must approve lawyers ads and NO crazy "almost promising" ads allowed.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
In Alabama "lawyers", more like ambulance chasers, can produce ads that "almost" make you tink you will become a millionaire. And these ads are on the air constantly so they might be working. Glad that Florida Bar must approve lawyers ads and NO crazy "almost promising" ads allowed.
Our area, Altamonte Springs / Apopka, just north of the Orlando city line, is littered with billboards for Dan Newlin's law practice, showing happy people holding big checks and saying things like "Dan got us $850,000.00."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple coworkers seemed to have an attorney on retainer.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
If we really wanted to fix health care in this country we would keep the number of available law school student slots as artificially low as we do the number of medical school openings. Make it as hard to practice law as it is to practice medicine and see how that changes the landscape.

The majority of lawyers are good, well meaning people. There are also lots of people that go to law school for good reasons and then realize that it's not as easy to make good money practicing law as they thought it might be but they've got lots of student loans to pay for. I think the law schools are every bit as much to blame for the state of tort law today as the ambulance chasers.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Our area, Altamonte Springs / Apopka, just north of the Orlando city line, is littered with billboards for Dan Newlin's law practice, showing happy people holding big checks and saying things like "Dan got us $850,000.00."

I don't think billboards are covered the same way as the TV ads. Should be though.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
as to your original question

NO, ...hell no
i'll just buy a lottery ticket

on another note-
mama told me never to lie about being sick or saying that one of your kids is sick just to get out of something, said it will come back to haunt you

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No. Never. But some people seem to need to be sued just so they don’t keep pulling the same bullshit.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, man, Mike Slocumb, The Alabama Hammer. His ads make me giggle, they are so over the top.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
In my area, certain drivers will crossover lanes eg, multiple stop light turns hoping you will hit them so they can sue.

Or either cut in front of you right before turning without a signal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Back at home in Chicago, we used to say that getting shot by the cops was winning the "ghetto lotto" because you'd get paid.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

WSJ article this week about a special breed of debt collectors. They go after multi-millionaires who have had a multi-million $ court settlement against them. In the one example, a particular mm had been chased by the collector for several years, and his firm had spent upwards of $8m so far trying to catch him and collect on the $32m settlement. The gist of the story was just because you sue and receive a settlement does not mean you will see any money.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post