SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    1970's electric marking pencils!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1970's electric marking pencils! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I've said this a hundred times...there needs to be a special place in hell , for whoever invented the accursed electric pencil.

You know...plug them in, they buzz and have a diamond tip so one can MARK items in case of theft. At least that was the bright idea back in the 70's and 80's.

Just looked at a Beautiful Ithica 1911A1 that would be in exceptional collectors shape, had it not been for some assholes name engraved on BOTH the slide and frame! Engraved IN several times, so it's good and DEEP.

As well as their NY DL number engraved under the edges of the grip panels. Apparently Arthur's name wasn't enough.....Had to add his DL number.

I've seen FAR more significant collector firearms ruined by these stupid engravers, but todays really got to me.

RANT MODE..... off

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just looked at a Beautiful Ithica 1911A1 that would be in exceptional collectors shape, had it not been for some assholes name engraved on BOTH the slide and frame! Engraved IN several times, so it's good and DEEP.

Is it being sold at a discount? Razz

Couldn't at least do it on the frame under the grips where it is unobtrusive?

I have heard apocryphal stories of police evidence rooms engraving guns held there with the case number.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... Evidence custodians ruined a lot of pistols that way.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

PW Arms comes to mind. They must have collected all of the old marking pens.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
"Is it being sold at a discount"?

Of course not....seller thinks it's worth $2K !!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

PW Arms comes to mind. They must have collected all of the old marking pens.

I lubs my PW Arms fucked up import markings!!!!!

Reminds me of the US of Air Force gen-you-wine marked up CTK (that you had to check every goddamn tool in your kit both on check-out and check-in after roll call and briefing and bore you could turn your shit in and go home, Monday-Friday and twice on weekend duty), with etchings that looked like Doctor prescriptions.

Nonners don't have clue.

If you maintained... Hooah!?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I think I still have one in my toolbox. Haven't used it in many decades.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
"Is it being sold at a discount"?

Of course not....seller thinks it's worth $2K !!

With the authentic artwork, this might be a deal. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me thing maybe the manufacturer ought to put a unique number or something on it somewhere so you don't have to do that.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My dad had one of those things.

He carved some identifying number on a Harrington & Richardson .22 revolver. I know that is not the pinnacle of American gunmaking, but . . .

(His was old enough not to have a serial number.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have one, but of course I'd never mark up a gun with it. On a gun the serial number is sufficient to identify it. I do use it to put identifying marks on my work tools (sometimes it is difficult, when more than one guy has the same type of tools, to tell whose is whose), and numbering my pistol and rifle magazines.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post