SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Self checkout at a grocery-or any-store
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self checkout at a grocery-or any-store Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
A version I like has been implemented by our local Smith’s stores. You get a handheld scanner when you walk in and scan items as you put them in your cart. There are wireless scales in produce for weighed items. Once you hit the self-checkout, you scan the terminal and your handheld unit transfers your order to the screen. Pay and go.

I’ve always thought the job argument against these was ridiculous. It’s called progress. Good luck fighting it forever. I don’t see any arguments for lamp lighters, stable hands, or chimney sweep jobs.

But then that brings up another problem. How do you bag your groceries this way? Especially if you get a full cart of groceries.

You end at the self check, so you bag as normal. I bring my own bags, so I bag as I pick and scan the items to save time. I upload, pay, and leave.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never get more than maybe a dozen things at the store and I love self checkout. The only down side is if you were to buy a lot of items trying to keep everything on the scale so the stupid machine doesn’t yell at you.

Also on a side note I went into Taco Bell the other day and found out they changed their checkout to a self-checkout like thing. I love it, I don’t have to tell some idiot 14 times no lettuce on my taco I just click a button.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I love them and don't have to worry about picking up some else's germs.

Now they have added the red light flash when the barcode has been read for the people that have hearing losses...Thanks V-tail. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Not a big fan of them , for a few items they are ok but for grocery shopping for the week or longer oh hell no.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Also on a side note I went into Taco Bell the other day and found out they changed their checkout to a self-checkout like thing. I love it, I don’t have to tell some idiot 14 times no lettuce on my taco I just click a button.

Yeah, but the same idiot in the back still makes it and puts lettuce on it anyway, right?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Yeah, but the same idiot in the back still makes it and puts lettuce on it anyway, right?
Exactly! I can not tell you how many times (I can't count that high!) I have received a sandwich that is not what I ordered, when the order slip is correct. Example: I might ask for extra onion, the order slip shows that correctly, the back room sandwich assembler interprets it as "no onion."

Heck, I have even had that happen at Chick-Fil-A (gasp!), good thing I checked the order. I asked for two sandwiches, the order slip showed two sandwiches, I paid for two sandwiches, the take-out bag contained one sandwich. If I had arrived home with only one sandwich, the ensuing battle for possession of that sandwich would not have ended until one of us was lying on the floor, bleeding to death. Because spicy chicken sandwich (with extra pickle).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd miss the interaction with my favorite checkers, but turns out it's not a problem. Self-check takes as much conversation as the regular line. Try buying leeks: they hang off the scale at both ends, so they don't weigh properly. The checker who's "helping" you can play until she gets tired.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Self checkout is a race for me. I cruise into the open spot at Kroger, quickly enter my shopper ID (credit to the HS my kid is at), and scan things. I usually pick a person in line with fewer items than me, then see if I can enter my id, scan my items, pay for it, and be walking away faster than they get done. Ok, so it's a bit weird, but I get done fast and it's instant satisfaction. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
A version I like has been implemented by our local Smith’s stores. You get a handheld scanner when you walk in and scan items as you put them in your cart. There are wireless scales in produce for weighed items. Once you hit the self-checkout, you scan the terminal and your handheld unit transfers your order to the screen. Pay and go.

I’ve always thought the job argument against these was ridiculous. It’s called progress. Good luck fighting it forever. I don’t see any arguments for lamp lighters, stable hands, or chimney sweep jobs.

We have this system at our local Stop & Shop and I love it.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was in Albuqurque on the way to Durango Co a couple years ago. I stopped in a Smiths to buy some dry ice and other assorted misc stuff.

When I tried to push the grocery cart out the door and to my car, the cart suddenly would NOT MOVE. An alarm was going off.

An employee came up to me and told me I'd triggered the brakes on the cart.

What? You're kidding me.

She explained the carts were NOT to be taken out of the store.

How the heck do you get your groceries to your car? I never got a clear answer to that.

What's up in Albuquerque, lots of grocery carts being stolen??????????

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
They're not surly. They give correct change. They don't expect me to chat with them. What's not to love?

+1000
I love stores that have enough bag space in the self checkout for me to ring up my full week of groceries. I use them all the time.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

I was in Albuqurque on the way to Durango Co a couple years ago. I stopped in a Smiths to buy some dry ice and other assorted misc stuff.

When I tried to push the grocery cart out the door and to my car, the cart suddenly would NOT MOVE. An alarm was going off.

An employee came up to me and told me I'd triggered the brakes on the cart.

What? You're kidding me.

She explained the carts were NOT to be taken out of the store.

How the heck do you get your groceries to your car? I never got a clear answer to that.

What's up in Albuquerque, lots of grocery carts being stolen??????????

Ive never seen such a thing in ABQ. Either they got rid of it or you went to the most ghetto Smith’s we have. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Our local Walmart went to the mostly self-checkout thing. It sucks!!!!

I go shopping after work on Friday mornings at 8am. Hardly any freaks there....mostly normal people. I used to be able to get everything, go to the staffed checkout sand be out in no time.

Then, they went the self-checkout route.....which sucked at first, but I kind of got used to it. Then, they changed when they opened the self-checkouts. The girls that buzz around making sure no one is trying to steal things under their carts, don't come in until 9am.........so the lines at the couple of staffed checkouts are several people deep!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I don't mind self check out, as long as I don't have a lot of stuff and the machines are working properly.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most things are a zero-sum proposition. Self checkout will be the same way.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty technologically challenged (which means I'm apparently dumber than dirt when it comes to working electronic doodads) so I don't like self check outs.

I know it's the wave of the future and I know if I keep struggling, I'll eventually get it right-(if I live that long).

In the meantime, I try to avoid them and let a real person take my money as it is so much easier and so much less frustrating.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd much rather use the self checkout than to listen to the inane commentary about every object that I buy... bonus is that I can bag my own groceries how I want.

EVERYONE is being 'paid' to do self check by keeping costs lower. You want 50 cashiers on so you never have to wait? Go to a high end store and pay 2x or 3x what you would at walmart etc.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The lines at self checkout are starting to get long but it is still better than suffering through Linda or Dennis checking me out. I am out in literally a quarter of the time. Before self checkout I would move to a new lane if either of those were doing the checkout. Didn't care if the line was longer I knew I would be out faster. Not quite as good as having a checkout person who is allergic to half of the fresh vegetables. That was interesting.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I actually prefer the self-checkout as long as I don't have a large number of items, say a dozen or less.

Most of my shopping is done in small batches (when you live alone, it's easier to buy single quantities of items. Besides, it's a way to get out of the house.

I like the self-checkout lanes, as I almost never have to wait. I'm so used to weighing and ringing up items (bananas are always #4011) that I'm as fast or faster than a register clerk. I can pay with a card and the machine will dispense cash if I ask for it. It's a cheap form of banking, too! Wink

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Anyone else have the uncanny knack of getting in the checkout line with the checker who is new and at the line for the first time or the other one who must have won the award for slowest checker of the year?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post