SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mechanics, please step inside - Catastrophic Brake Pad Evaporation or... Multi-Point Inspection Fraud?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanics, please step inside - Catastrophic Brake Pad Evaporation or... Multi-Point Inspection Fraud? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
110k miles out of OEM tires and 80k out of KO2s you are a lucky man.

I rotate every 5k and have never seen much more than 50k on any set and of tires.

My current Falkens have a 65k treadlife warranty.

Even with a decent amount of tread left they will get noisier as they age and the rubber hardens. On super cold days my tires rumble a bit more until they are warm.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I wouldn't say that is impossible. My car eats pads from brand new to metal on metal in 10k miles. What it comes down to is that you got pretty close to 80k miles out of a set of brakes, and that seems pretty good to me. I've never seen the Green/ Yellow/ Red scale before though, because I just look to see if there is pad left and change them when there isn't.

Wow.....what kind of car do you drive that eats brake pads every 10k miles.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
I wouldn't say that is impossible. My car eats pads from brand new to metal on metal in 10k miles. What it comes down to is that you got pretty close to 80k miles out of a set of brakes, and that seems pretty good to me. I've never seen the Green/ Yellow/ Red scale before though, because I just look to see if there is pad left and change them when there isn't.

2006 GTO. Gas, tires, oil. I usually get about 15k out of a set of tires as well. It's a fat pig of a car that gets driven spiritedly most of the time so it goes through all the consumables pretty quickly. It's a lot of fun when it's not broken though!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

2006 GTO. Gas, tires, oil. I usually get about 15k out of a set of tires as well. It's a fat pig of a car that gets driven spiritedly most of the time so it goes through all the consumables pretty quickly. It's a lot of fun when it's not broken though!

I was so close to buying a 2004 GTO but reports like this scared me away. I heard suspension components wear out super quick as well.

When they are eligible for historic tags in MD, I might reconsider. They are fun to drive.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was so close to buying a 2004 GTO but reports like this scared me away. I heard suspension components wear out super quick as well.

When they are eligible for historic tags in MD, I might reconsider. They are fun to drive.

Run far away. I loved the car like crazy when it ran, but it has been one expensive, hard to fix nightmare since the day I bought it. The engine/transmission are great, but the rest of the car not so much. The suspensions were inadequate to begin with and shot on most of them the day they rolled off the boat. Tons of electrical issues, driveshaft components disintegrate for no reason, rear diffs are made of glass. Terrible seat leather pulls apart no matter how well you take care of it.

I love the idea of the car, and it's incredibly fun when everything is working, but it's been $1,000 here, $1500 there constantly since the day I got it not including normal expenses.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Maybe they took the impact wrench to the lug nuts and over tighten them which caused the rotors to warp. Had that happen to me.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Maybe they took the impact wrench to the lug nuts and over tighten them which caused the rotors to warp. Had that happen to me.

A fair guess, but not in this case. Not only do I rotate my own tires with each oil change, but in this case, I also happened to replace the craptastic two-piece OEM lug bolts with one-piece bolts a little over 2K miles after the KO2s and new brakes were installed by the shop that did the spacers. Nope - they were torqued properly.

Black mentioned that PowerStop has a reputation for sudden disintegration once they start to go. I'll run with that theory and keep an eye on these new ones. I'm not too concerned about it. Just went with the PowerStop kit b/c of high praise received on a KL Cherokee enthusiast's forum at the time.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My powerstop brakes wore very quickly and I will not buy them again.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the brakes, but wonder if wheel bearings might not also need some attention based on some sound descriptions and symptoms. Hope it gets sorted out.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I went from brand new car to metal on metal in 39k miles on a minivan. It can happen.

As for your “green” inspection, that’s what we call pencil whipping. They do the work requested, don’t have time or inclination to do the “inspection” and send you on your way thinki your pads are in the “green” when they are likely yellow or approaching red.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Are the calipers working and releasing correctly?

I've had pads wear quickly but the slider pins became corroded/damaged and the caliper wasn't releasing properly.

This often shows up with uneven wear on the pads. Either the inside or outside pad on one tire will be worn much more than the other.

Did all the pads wear out together just very quickly?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odds are quite good that your pads went bad that fast.

There are two things working against you here. One is that when you increase the rolling diameter of a tire you also increase the moment arm of the tire in relation to the brakes. Basically you give the tire a longer lever to work against the brakes with. That will increase the wear rate for the brakes unless you increase the rotor diameter at the same time you increase the tire diameter.

The second thing working against you is that you now have aftermarket brake pads on your Jeep. I have never in my entire life found aftermarket brake pads that lasted as long as OEM brake pads. Don't care what is claimed on the box or what the "reviews" claim or even if they have a lifetime warrany, AFTERMARKET BRAKE PADS ARE JUNK. The only exception to this rule is if you are installing a brake system kit from the likes of Brembo or Baer, companies that now provide OEM high performance braking systems to the automakers.

Tip here is that "Heavy Duty" is just text printed on a box. If you want the most long term economical brake parts for your car than go to the dealer and get OEM parts. In addition remember that larger diameter tires will decrease the service life of your brake pads.

BTW, I've seen mid 80's Chevy Caprices with hoopty wheels so large that they were unable to stop from 80 mph in a panic stop because the pads got too hot and stopped gripping the rotors. Good news is that the increases in tire/wheel diameters over the past 20 years has been accompanied by a similar increase in brake rotor diameters but even so you really shouldn't try to increase your rolling diameter by more than 1 or 2 inches.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post