SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    American Airlines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Airlines Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I'm livid right now.

Purchase tickets for BWI-CLT-PBI and back for valentine's day weekend. Got a good deal in coach, but decided to surprise Mrs.BurtonRW and upgraded to 1st yesterday. Guy who took my money told me - no problem, plenty of seats available - without mentioning that for segments 1 & 2, there weren't any available together. Don't you think that's something that should be disclosed before hand?

"Oh, sorry sir, we can't move anyone else. We don't do that here. You'll have to ask the gate agent at the airport and she'll see if she can find someone who is willing to switch seats with one of you."

What bullshit is that? Every other major carrier I can think of is more than willing to shuffle single flyers to keep groups together. I've had it done for me and I've had it happen to me. Fine. No problem. Except for American, apparently.

But hey, at least the return segments were no problem. Seated together for both.

Well... I check in online this morning to see if anything has freed up (which I'm told happens occasionally), only to discover that AFTER I had a lengthy discussion with a second reservation agent yesterday evening about this issue, THEY changed our seat assignments for the 4th leg so we're no longer together, but now across an aisle diagonally, and of course, there are now no more seats available together on that flight.

I'm livid. American can go fuck themselves right into bankruptcy for all I care. I have a shit load of miles racked up from our trip a few years back to Australia and I only wish there were a way to cash them out. Maybe I can sell them on ebay and have done with this bullshit airline.

So much for relaxing flights. Now I get to plead with a stranger to please take an aisle seat so I can sit with my wife - three times - because American fucking sucks. That's going to be real fun on our 42 minute layover in CLT on the way down. I'm sure it will all work out, but it shouldn't be my problem.

Did I say fuck American Airlines? Because fuck them.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You actually expected an airline's actions to reflect the fact that it is the customers that keep them in business?

Silly boy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I fly at least 4 times a year, always 1st Class and I never hang up without having email confirmation of our seat numbers. I also ask about the seat numbers while talking to them.

If I book online, I always select my seats personally to make sure we sit together.

Mrs. Flash would come unglued if she had to sit with someone else.

Hawaiian Airlines has always done the right thing for me on seats and I've been using them annually since 1983. United sucks and won't even commit to assigned seats sometimes. American screwed me on seats going to D.C. years ago and the rest seem to be okay.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not a lot to offer, but I’d check the app at times to see if seat change options open up.

The next option is to check with customer service at the airport, then at the gate.

I’m one that moves to allow those traveling with others to sit together. I can remake my ‘nest’. An observant passenger doesn’t even have to be asked, with high ‘S.A.’ they should see things develop.

These are shorter flights, which is good. FL is gangbusters now, not surprised mostly full.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I fly at least 4 times a year, always 1st Class and I never hang up without having email confirmation of our seat numbers. I also ask about the seat numbers while talking to them.

If I book online, I always select my seats personally to make sure we sit together.

I always fly 1st class (except in this instance, where Mrs.BurtonRW was putting up a fight about the expense) and NEVER book except online. In this rare exception, I was doing about six things at once and calling American seemed to be the easiest way to go. A mistake I'll never make again.

quote:
Mrs. Flash would come unglued if she had to sit with someone else.

As would/will Mrs.BurtonRW.

quote:
Hawaiian Airlines has always done the right thing for me on seats and I've been using them annually since 1983. United sucks and won't even commit to assigned seats sometimes. American screwed me on seats going to D.C. years ago and the rest seem to be okay.

Funny thing you mention Hawaiian. The only time we've been there, we're about to take our hop from the Big Island to Maui and when we get to the airport, the ticket agent says to us, "hey, let me move you from the rear (1st class) bulkhead to the front row so your seats can recline. Great(!), we say. Then we get on the plane and see that row A is actually in front of the first windows. Mrs.BurtonRW is devastated that this "upgrade" means she won't be able to enjoy the gorgeous view or take pictures. Fortunately, a friendly (and local) business traveler seated behind us was happy to switch seats and all was well, but yeah, Hawiian didn't do us any favors there.

Bottom line is, I think it's a crapshoot unless you're flying general aviation, but that charter would cost me well over $20K for this trip last I checked.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
It seems that AA is subject to recurring posts about their customer indifference. I'll choose otherwise.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
First world problem but for the premium you're paying, you'd think they would give that some consideration. It's not like you can buy a better ticket to get better service.

I've always thought that Business Class was the minimum fare where they treat you like a human being and not as cattle to be herded.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.

I used to prefer American, even though my airport (O'Hare) is the primary United hub.

Service for all airlines has pretty much gone in the ditch, but American seems to enjoy screwing their customers. Now, I'll fly Spirit before American.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you paying for the upgrade, using miles/points or, a combination? Usually low price offers result in a low classification.

The redeeming miles game is practically a crap-shoot, not to mention you end up being the lowest priority because you're treated as a non-revenue passenger.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Are you paying for the upgrade, using miles/points or, a combination? Usually low price offers result in a low classification.

The redeeming miles game is practically a crap-shoot, not to mention you end up being the lowest priority because you're treated as a non-revenue passenger.

Nope. Cash upgrade. I’m going to sell my miles for more than I paid for the tickets, though, so at least that’s something.

-Rob

A=A

posted Hide Post
I had a trip to Italy which used miles with Alaska Air. Alaska at the time code shared with both Delta and American. After reading all the fine print and figuring out how to utilize this process...I ended up having to take four flights over 24+ hours, resulting in 3:4 legs sitting in the middle-seat. Most of their flights they reserve for non-rev miles users, you have to fly to SEA before changing plans.

To keep my sanity, I bought a Delta day-pass at their JFK lounge, which was quite nice; other than that, I just kept telling myself that the flight is just a small portion of the trip....the flight is just a small portion of the trip...the flight is..

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
IF I were an Airline, I would have used this pandemic reduction in air travel to shut down the whole thing for 2 straight weeks and completely unfuck the IT infrastructure that runs this bullshit.

It is completely ridiculous the amount of employee interaction that is required to optimize a goddamn seating chart. And also, the ridiculousness of airfare pricing based on what appears to be complete randomness. Fuck all of that.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the economy is good, airlines get to reap their profits and their corporate life is good. When the economy shit the bed during COVID they all begged for government handouts to stay afloat. So ya, I'd rather drive before I fly and support these losers.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
When the economy is good, airlines get to reap their profits and their corporate life is good. When the economy shit the bed during COVID they all begged for government handouts to stay afloat. So ya, I'd rather drive before I fly and support these losers.

So would we, believe me. In fact, the only way we find air travel even tolerable these days is with a combination of CLEAR and Global Entry (to bypass TSA and immigration/customs as necessary) and First Class seats (or at least Premium Economy on long-haul international flights).

Unfortunately, leaving Friday evening and returning by Monday evening with a 15 hour drive time doesn't quite work out.

UPDATE - I was able to "fix" one of the three legs, as a seat opened up. Still have one in each direction to work out, so I'll have to delay checking in as long as possible, I guess.

-Rob

A=A

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Very rarely do I have to fly American but almost every time I have had to they have fucked something up.

I’ve often joked that after I retire I’m going to get a job at an airport restaurant and screw up every order by an AA employee just to let them know how it feels to be on the receiving end of their shitty service.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've experienced on many different airlines, and I've moved to let couples sit together, even gave up my First Class seat on a leg to let an older gentleman sit with his wife who had a 1st class seat on their anniversary flight, had the FA get him out of coach and rode back there, I still got the miles either way..

If you have an aisle, it shouldn't be a problem getting the person in the aisle next to your wife to switch, it's same for same, I wouldn't sweat it, and if they don't want to swap, getting the person next to you to change shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honeymoon, connecting flight on overbooked flight. We board the plane, point me to my seat, I sit. They tell the new wife ...sorry we’re full. She starts bawling, 3 minutes later, Delta fixed it. We’re sitting next to each other. Damn, what happened to employee empowerment?

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Well, they changed planes on us and now our first segment is on the most recent iteration of the A321, which means 5 1st class rows instead of 4. I caught it on time and got us new seats. Only the fourth segment (CLT-BWI) left to deal with. I might be able to pull this off without any help from American at all.

-Rob

A=A

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Okay. So BWI-CLT is smooth as silk so far. Perfect on time boarding and this brand new whatever upgraded version A321 is nice.

Wish this was nonstop, and of course, our connection in CLT is two full concourses away, so it’s good that we’ll be on the ground a full 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

I still reserve the right to continue to be pissed, though.

-Rob

A=A

posted Hide Post
I am biased. I also hate flying for vacation. I also work for an airline. I also live near you (Frederick county). I know you love your miles and first class but for a trip like you are taking Southwest offers multiple non stops a day. No layover, no plane swap, no extra chance of losing baggage, weather, or mechanical issues. I always choose a non stop if it’s available. I know, I’m sure you hate Southwest. For a non stop though, it’s a no brainer to me. Bring a sandwich and a book you will be there hours earlier and less pissed off. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post