SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    T-ball is dumb.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T-ball is dumb. Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
So, this is the first year of Tball for my soon to be 6 year old. We are 30 minutes into a 60 minute practice and so far they’ve done some stretches for a few minutes and then they sat down in a circle for story time. They are on book 3.

Huh? Why are we doing storytime in tball? Why are they doing reading logs in tball? Why are they doing food logs and discussions in tball?

I’m getting triggered.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
T-ball isn't dumb. The coaches on your sons team are dumb.

Okay T-ball is kinda dumb Wink. But none of the practices I have ever seen involve storytime.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, T-ball sucks. Just wait for a game where everyone in the outfield is picking up dirt clods and not paying attention.

Even better are the over enthusiastic parents, who played ball and likely topped out at high school or maybe even played some college ball. Yelling at their kids like it's Game 7 of the World Series...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tball is the most fun and entertaining form of baseball there is.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My son's T ball league wasn't dumb. It was coach pitch (3 pitches) if they didnt hit, they got two swings at a ball on the tee. We kept score, teams won and lost. There was a season ending tournament were a champion was crowned. The winners got trophies the second place got a medal. My son took his medal off and threw it in the dirt. Good teachable lesson there about how to lose. I made him pick it up, put it back on, and throw it out at home.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the chaos of a good T-ball game. The best of kid sports!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
When is the draft? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a good chaotic tball game and a practice where they attempt to actually introduce some real basic baseball skills. That didn’t happen. 45 minutes of books. Literally. I’m livid.

Then this evening we got an email that the next practice, a full week away, has been moved. We are to meet at a different park at the splash pad and “bring a swimsuit but leave the glove at home”.

WTF? We didn’t sign up for a park play date. My child will not be attending this “practice”. We’ll be at the park practicing throwing and running bases.

I don’t expect much at this level, I really don’t. But I do expect to actually have the kids exposed to actual baseball foundational skills.

Rediculous.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Have you asked for an explanation? Try to be calm and courteous when you do. Wink

I’d be curious as to the response.

Then lay on the sarcasm when you let them know your kid didn’t sign up for Girl Scouts.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
First T-ball practice was great for my friend's son, who had known nothing but full-week football on TV and in the yard until then. Athletic but knew practically nothing of baseball.

He had been clearly instructed to run as hard and fast as he could around the bases in the unlikely event he got a hit, in the same direction as the person in front of him.

He connected and was REALLY booking it! As y'all know a ball rolling past second has potential to be an HR, and indeed he made the turn at third and you could see the strain on his face as he's giving it all he had and has actually almost overtaking the little fellow in front.

Then half way down third baseline he gets close enough and.......... makes a perfect form tackle on his teammate in front and they go down in a cloud of dust and chalk. Gasps and exclamations ensue from the parents while my friend, never shy, stands up and yells "YES!"

True story.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My nephew played T-Ball this year for the first time. He learned a little about baseball and had fun doing it. His games were always entertaining.
One day, Landon scored from third base and then got the umpire's brush and brushed the dirt off home plate. Everyone in the place was laughing, even the umpire.
He came around third on another occasion and went directly into the dugout. He said he was thirsty and couldn't make it to home plate. Big Grin

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
First T-ball practice was great for my friend's son, who had known nothing but full-week football on TV and in the yard until then. Athletic but knew practically nothing of baseball.

He had been clearly instructed to run as hard and fast as he could around the bases in the unlikely event he got a hit, in the same direction as the person in front of him.

He connected and was REALLY booking it! As y'all know a ball rolling past second has potential to be an HR, and indeed he made the turn at third and you could see the strain on his face as he's giving it all he had and has actually almost overtaking the little fellow in front.

Then half way down third baseline he gets close enough and.......... makes a perfect form tackle on his teammate in front and they go down in a cloud of dust and chalk. Gasps and exclamations ensue from the parents while my friend, never shy, stands up and yells "YES!"

True story.

What, the "T" doesn't stand for tackle? Great story. Big Grin

Posts: 10937 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My grandson played T-ball here in Texas. It was fun watching them learn the basics. They allowed the coaches to be with the batters when it was their turn. The coach stayed behind the batter and coached him on form and how to swing. Even the defensive coaches where allowed to be in the field with their players to help them focus on what was going on. By the time that first season was over most of the kids had the basics down pretty good.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
T-ball isn't dumb. The coaches on your sons team are dumb.

This.

T-ball is great fun, I loved it as a kid, and its a great way to introduce kids to baseball, learn the basics of the game.

Story time has no frickin business in a T ball practice, they still need to be practicing throwing, catching, even hitting off the tee, and learning the rules of the game.

Those coaches sound stupid, find another team or league to get the kid in ASAP

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I've come to the conclusion that T- ball and Pony are the best.

T- ball for the entertainment factor and Pony because you habe a group of teenagers who want to play, do their best (some being excellent), and typically without parents who think little Johnny is going to be drafted this season (for one reason or another they didn't make the high school team).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Wow - I'd seriously have a talk with your coach and then the league commissioner. That's messed up.

Enjoy t-ball for what it is and take lots of pics and video. If your boy sticks with baseball, there will be plenty of days where he's down on himself and it always pays to show him his swing or throw from years past to show him how far he's come.

Also, keep an electronic book. We use iscore or irule but there's a bunch out there. Having his stats from year over year will be cool later in life.

When my son was 7 or 8 Santa brought him baseball cards with his picture and stats from the previous year. It sits proudly on his trophy shelf.

And don't worry, in only a few short years it'll turn into real baseball. My son just finished up 10u travel ball and as my wife says: The days are long but the years are short.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85hjKW2xdnY

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Coach. I did, and then kept coaching both softball (daughter) and baseball for our son.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I just Loved T Ball when I was a kid. With the ball on that post I could hammer the ball into the outfield every time. Also played Catcher so I got to tag a lot of kids out. Now, if I had played in the outfield I probably would have hated T Ball, more than once I saw kids taking a knap out there they were so bored. BTW, never went past T Ball because I had a "glass arm" which was the reason I played Catcher.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My sons T-Ball "experience" this year was infuriating as well. Same experience as yours. Lets run the bases for five minutes. Maybe hit the ball for 10 minutes, and then finish out the last 30 minutes of practice with a few games of "duck, duck, goose" or chase the other kids around the field. What a waste of time and money.

I pay for T-Ball, I want competent T-Ball instruction from a competent coach, that uses the hour long practices effectively.

Each weak, one of the kids parents would be responsible for bringing in some drinks and snacks for the kids. Like some juice boxes and some goldfish crackers or something. Little Deshawn's welfare mother didn't buy anything, so her mother (grandma) bought the kids drinks and crackers. And then Deshawn's mother told him to go hide in the dugout and eat ALL of the snacks and drink all of the juice boxes, because "those rich white kids" can afford their own snacks. Not even kidding.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post