SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Verizon outage covering a large part of Florida 4/12/2018
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon outage covering a large part of Florida 4/12/2018 Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why my wife can't make or receive calls or texts on her iPhone. Reboot, hard reboot, reset network settings, etc. Just figured out there's a Verizon outage in the Tampa area that apparently affects us 70 miles south of there.

I have a back up cellphone in case something happens to mine. Never thought about needing a back up carrier as well. Our phones won't roam to some other network because they are still connected to Verizon's cell towers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
A coworker was complaining earlier this week that his Verizon connection was bad lately. I guess this outage might have been building up for a while now.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I dont know why, but Verizon in Florida goes out like 4-5 times a year. And the local 911 call centers are affected to, so no 911's calls to them either. Makes for a quiet day for them, while people are getting stabbed or shot and unable to contact emergency services.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Man what a mess that is. That is a huge problem in so many ways.

However, us ham radio operators are still communicating anyway.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
Verizon agent told me 68 towers have been down this week due to past weather conditions...pretty as can be here all week!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Verizon agent told me 68 towers have been down this week due to past weather conditions

Yes, the same weather conditions that delayed your flight. LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
This explains why I could not speak with my parents in Fort Myers yesterday for more than 30 seconds per call.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Verizon claims it was fixed at 2:45am Friday morning. 4/13/2018

It was a bit of an eye opener. We still have a landline that we never use. My parent's do as well, except theirs is through Comcast and it wasn't working last week. Apparently, it hadn't been for several months and they didn't realize it. Like mine, they have it for their alarm system and don't use it otherwise.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a landline for that reason as well. Cell service mostly works but there are regular brief times when calls stop going through.

A couple years ago a construction company cut the main fiber to the local phone office. All gas pumps, retail stores, banks, and everything was down without internet / ACH connections. Cell service also stopped working because the towers were all connected to the one local office. That surprised people. The city basically shut down until the next morning.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post