SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tooth Extraction today-no coffee this am
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tooth Extraction today-no coffee this am Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Going this am for a tooth extraction, will probably be sedated, No eating since last night and worst..

No coffee this morning!!!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Going this am for a tooth extraction, will probably be sedated, No eating since last night and worst..

I do not react well to sedation, etc. Novocaine or equivalent to numb the area works just fine for me.

Benefits: No vertigo or disorienting after-effects, no restrictions on breakfast, coffee, etc., and no restrictions on driving or operating heavy machinery, which makes me wonder how much a washing machine weighs, because I need to do a load of laundry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have had dental procedures using both the novacain approach as well as the "knock me out" variety.

Can't honestly say which is better, or worse.

When using the novacain the doc did at least 2 injections from various angles.

The other style was on single shot in the arm.

Given my choice I would go with the "knock me out".

Only one shot, and no knowledge of all the gyrations the doc goes through to pull the tooth.

Like having to split the tooth in the middle to get the roots out of the jaw bone.

I was awake for one of those. Prefer not to be

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va No eating since last night and worst..

There would be blood and mayhem with no coffee.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Just got back from having one extracted. First since wisdom teeth as a teenager. Had Novocaine, still have gauze in mouth. Fortunately I had coffee this morning.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just had to break the news to my ever-voraciously-hungry teenaged stepson that since he's going to have his wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow, the dentist said he can't eat anything after midnight.

No. Food?

But...

But...

No food at all?

Not even cereal?

(The poor boy looked absolutely crushed. I hope he survives somehow, preferably without gnawing his arm off.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had wisdom teeth extracted ... jeez, 40 years ago. I got half done on one visit, the other half on another. They knocked me out. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have wanted to be awake for chiseling on them with a miniature air hammer.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I lucked up and after the dental surgeon looked at my tooth, advised me to be numbed, instead of sedated.

All went well, he would have made a great auto body shop guy....

I am home now, drinking a milkshake, the Novacain is wearing off, and I feel this badddd ache coming on.

Rear molar removed, it cracked in two, and had an extra root, but the procedure didnt last 10 mins.

God was kind to me, I am one of those people that didnt have wisdom teeth.

Many years ago, before I started radiation treatments to my head and neck, they required me to have a check by my dentist on marginal teeth. Turns out I had 3 major teeth, that could have caused problems once I started radiation, so they had to be removed.

All three at the same time,removd right after I finished my chemo treatments back in 2003.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was awake for mine ~15 years ago. Couple shots of Novacain on either side, some cracking and yanking, and the dentist sent me home with instructions to take some Tylenol and not to drink through straws. I even drove myself home afterwards.

Nowadays, it seems like most people are put under, and then given a prescription for copious amounts of opiates afterwards. Apparently either mine was one of the simplest wisdom tooth extractions ever, or my dentist was just a minimalist. (Perhaps dentists today are overly cautious?)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a tooth extracted about a month ago . Dentist prescribed two pills . Don't remember what they were . Take one an hour before the appointment . Bring the second with you .As soon as I got in the chair , put the second pill under my tongue .Dentist came in and numbed me with Novacaine . After that , I don't remember shit . They could have removed a kidney and I wouldn't have cared .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nowadays, it seems like most people are put under, and then given a prescription for copious amounts of opiates afterwards. Apparently either mine was one of the simplest wisdom tooth extractions ever, or my dentist was just a minimalist. (Perhaps dentists today are overly cautious?)

The DEA is checking dentists now for opiate prescriptions, so expect the large quantities of opiates prescribed to decrease. Besides for most dental procedures ibuprofen works better to decrease the inflammation which is the source of most of the pain. The conscious sedation is both a money maker and quicker because the dentist or oral surgeon can work more quickly. Its about the time and the money.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I was awake for mine ~15 years ago. Couple shots of Novacain on either side, some cracking and yanking, and the dentist sent me home with instructions to take some Tylenol and not to drink through straws. I even drove myself home afterwards.

Using deep sedation to near General Anesthetic doses of medications is the exact OPPOSITE of being more cautious. There have been several cases of otherwise healthy children suffering severe anoxic brain injury to even dying because of incompetent administration of deep sedation during dental procedures. Oral surgeons get a little bit of anesthesia training during residency, not sure about most general dental practitioners. In either case, it just enough knowledge to get themselves into trouble without the ability to get the,selves out of it.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was not knocked out to have two wisdom teeth extracted, and also not for a later extraction. I usually need some extra local anesthesia, but never missed the sedative.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm updating my posting almost a week later.

My jaw has been hurting really bad the past couple of days, not so much where the tooth was pulled, but the adjacent spot where the dentist injected the novacaine.

He really put force in that injection I remember, been taking antibiotics and yesterday, pain pills. I completely forgot about Ibuprofen.

美しい犬