SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Watering lawns has to be the most egregious waste of water there is
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watering lawns has to be the most egregious waste of water there is Login/Join 
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
It's August in Texas, a hundred degrees out, and the grass requires an inordinate amount of water to keep alive.
Well, then you're very aware that you're painting with a very broad brush as Texas is so large that is has many different climates.

I live near the GoM so we average the required 4 inches per month, but in the summer it tends to come in clusters of thunderstorms so I still need to water. We have 31 days a year with precipitation above a 1/2 inch.

I used to live on the outskirts of Dallas we got about a foot less precipitation annually compared to Houston, and only half the needed rain in the summer to keep the lawn green. We only had 24 days a year with precipitation above a 1/2 inch.

I also used to live in Midland (i.e. high desert plain) and we got about 3 feet less precipitation annually compared to Houston, and only a quarter of the needed rain in the summer to keep the lawn green. We only had 10 days a year with precipitation above a 1/2 inch.

Tyler (East TX) has precipitation pretty similar to Houston, and Austin has precipitation pretty similar to Dallas.

I'm right down the road from you. From the sound of it, none of us are gonna need to water this weekend.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post