SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fun And Games At Our Little Airport
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun And Games At Our Little Airport Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
The Owners Association at Our Little Airport sends notices of "interesting" things by email broadcast. Here's the one that I received today:
quote:
Recently, an Owner [hangar owner] discovered multiple bullet holes in the roof of their hangar and a hole in an airplane wing that was parked beneath the bullet holes in the hangar roof.

At the urging of the OAAA Board of Directors, the Owner contacted the Apopka Police Department and filed a report. The Apopka Police Department is actively investigating the bullet holes and the possible firing of weapons at the Orlando Apopka Airport.

The OAA Board of Directors and the Apopka Police Department request that all Owners inspect their hangars for bullet holes. If any bullet holes are discovered, the Owner is urged to immediately contact the Apopka Police Department at (407) 703-1757.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And yet, they forget, the most important part.

"DO NOT PARK YOU AIRPLANE UNDER BULLET HOLES!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The holes are in the roof. The airplane is parked on the floor, below the roof. Geometrically, that would indicate that the bullets were descending at a very steep angle. Plunging fire, one might say.

That would seem to indicate rednecks, gangbangers or other species of idiot, somewhere in a 2 to 5 mile circle centered on the hangar, firing weapons into the air such that they retain sufficient energy to penetrate both the hangar roof, and the airplane beneath it.

I don't think those bullets got fired on airport grounds.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I plan to be there tomorrow. I'd like to find out how many holes in the roof, and how tightly they are grouped.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Did they find the bullets? How do they know they weren't comet fragments? Eek

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
And yet, they forget, the most important part.

"DO NOT PARK YOU AIRPLANE UNDER BULLET HOLES!!!"

Or next to the cans.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ze Germans must have gone on a strafing run.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a bullet hole in the side of my pole barn. It must have bounced off the frozen ground as it was rising. It hit a roof beam and then went thru my motorcycle cover and put a scratch in my windshield.
I did find the .45 slug next to my goldwing.
He should have found some slugs as well.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
Simple fix to repair a puncture hole in an airplane wing, just a patch? Assuming it missed the fuel tanks...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If it's a simple puncture hole, probably.

Depending on where the damage is, there might be a lot of stuff going on inside the wing. Fuel systems (tanks, feed lines, vents), control linkages for ailerons and flaps, autopilot servos, wiring for position lights, strobes, landing lights, there might be all kinds of stuff in there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, Ramadan began May 6th, so …

look for 7.65X39MM celebratory slugs.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is common here in Memph-rica. Gang bangers love any excuse to shoot strait up with their AKs. Its even more fun to get "sparklers", ie tracer rounds. So any time you're around a holiday, keep the vehicles in a covered environment.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ze Germans must have gone on a strafing run.

My first thought, too. Watch out for Zeros out of the sun!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going with Rogue & NewtoSig...
It was a strafing run!

Then again, LS1 GTO has a plausible reason as well.

New phone book comes out, some everyday random son of a bitch is working for $1.10 an hour pumping gas... Some guy quits smoking, picks up a rifle...
And that run of the mill bastard is getting shot at.
DIE GAS PUMPER!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:

keep the vehicles in a covered environment
inside a locked hangar is pretty covered. They y never told us that the roof should be hardened against small arms fire. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the morning when I walked into our warehouse/hangar and found boxes of print materials stacked up and spent brass all over the floor....Yup, my former partner who was out of his mind on drugs, decided that he would doe some target shooting out back while on one of his benders. Did not matter that we had a Lear 35 and a 421C parked next door.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a Luscombe wing penetrated through and through from above at 052. (airport ID).We found the .45 slug.
OZ

Posts: 158 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the Owner have a really long extension ladder in his hanger and a firearm in the same caliber as the holes?

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:

keep the vehicles in a covered environment
inside a locked hangar is pretty covered. They y never told us that the roof should be hardened against small arms fire. Wink

Hardened storage, but hush-hush, so they don't step it up in caliber next time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
More information: Holes in the hangar roof. One 9mm bullet recovered from the gas tank of a Cessna 150, the instructor noticed the hole in the top of the wing when he was standing on a ladder, fueling the airplane.

Another 9mm bullet found on the hangar floor.

Lateral displacement between holes in the hangar roof and hole in the airplane wing indicates that the shots were not fired at the airport. Somebody, off airport, fired into the air, evidently believing that the bullets would stay up there in low orbit.

This is the sort of thing that we might expect around July 4th, or New Year's eve, but not so much in June.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים