SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is this what they teach them in Marketing schools?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this what they teach them in Marketing schools? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Super-saturate the people with one advertisement so they get to the point that not only do they dive for the remote to either mute the TV or change the channel whenever your inane commercial comes on for the 27th time in the past hour and/or vow to never purchase your product because they are so sick and tired of your commercial that it's gotten to the point that the mere mention of your product's name brings on rage?

Seems counterintuitive to me.

I will never purchase anything from Allstate, nor will I ever give the MyPillow guy a dime of my hard-earned money. I don't give a fuck how good his pillows are!

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Do you know that Allstate sells insurance or that My Pillow is a specific brand of of pillow? Then they've gone their part.

There are thousands of insurance companies out there. You could probably name 12 if you were forced to. Allstate is going to be one of them.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
What is even worse is the constant barrage of the same damn political commercials. Montana has Tester, another wacky liberal up for election. He and his conservative opponents are spending enough money to house and feed all the homeless for a trip to DC.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Do you know that Allstate sells insurance or that My Pillow is a specific brand of of pillow? Then they've gone their part...

I took a couple advertising courses in college, taught by a retired ad exec. I remember him talking about how difficult it was to erase a company's negative image, and that was the most important goal of an ad campaign.

When I see the Allstate ad with Pajama Boy's little sister, or the self-centered and repetitive pillow ads, I have to ignore them or change the channel.

I'm with Gustofer! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the dueling ambulance chaser ads around here! Back to back and ad nauseum.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following is the kind of commercial I enjoy. Classic New Orleans. You can bet these guys did not go Marketing school, but they could sure do ads.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, the suffering comes in the form of the DIY commercial. Mostly from idiotic car salesmen.
It should be illegal to air a self produced and self starred commercial.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How else would you be able to identify the idiots without actually going there and experiencing the idiocy?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Best commercial ever: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...RveNE#fauxfullscreen

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You described me exactly. Grabbing the remote to mute or change the channel.

I thought Progressive INs. was one of the worst along with AARP.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
The Rx commercials have got to be the f’ing worse...ever!! Mad

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
What they did teach in marketing school, back in the day, was that 'most advertising dollars are wasted, but that it was hard to know which.'

The Internet changed all that, at least for the segment of the user base that is trackable. Now, they can put different versions out and see what works, for whom, and try to not waste as much.

On TV though- at least broadcast TV which is really untrackable - the 'most of your ad money is wasted' guideline is still valid.

So there, it's eyeballs and 'branding' which tries to at least be memorable. If your ad doesn't get into the brain, to be recalled when making decisions, that money has been 100% wasted. If it does, though, and it attracts 10% of the viewers that's at least something.

As long as it doesn't repel people who would otherwise buy your stuff.....that's the part they don't all understand. Wink

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
The Rx commercials have got to be the f’ing worse...ever!! Mad

And every disease can be identified with two or three initials.

Guess that makes it cool.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
It should be illegal to air a self produced and self starred commercial.

Yep.

Especially if your homemade commercial ends with one of more of your feral little children shrieking some inane catchphrase.

(I know you think your own kids are "just so cute", but nobody else does, buddy.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Speaking of children in ads, those of us who grew up in Chicago will remember this kid. He was the nephew of the dealership owner:

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I wish there were more funny commercials.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
That New Orleans Furniture commercial is amazing.

I present to you all the strangest commercials I've ever seen. A classic from my youth. And yes, these actually aired.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just as bad is the repetitive ad play, listening to Rush today every other ad, and some following each other are the Snoop Dawg Hims commercial, followed by the Hims commercial without snoop dawg, followed by the Snoop Dawg hair plug commercial. WTF Rush, ED and hair plug ads all day!

Shit it just came on again, Snoop Dawg with a special message to the playah!

Thank god my PC has a mute button on the keyboard.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cmon! Who doesn’t like Dean Winters as “mayhem”... I think those commercials are hilarious until I see them 500 times, but even then I still get a chuckle

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
^^^^^^
Speaking of children in ads, those of us who grew up in Chicago will remember this kid. He was the nephew of the dealership owner:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ftCVZPeE6U8" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

My sister in law worked for Long Chevrolet.
The job wasn't much more appealing than the lame ass kid commercials.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post