SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My barber retired -
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My barber retired - Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I was in the same situation a few years ago of looking for a new barber, it took me three haircuts at three different barbershops but you will find one as I did. Good Luck.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I switched over to my wife's stylist.

She does a great job and it's not that expensive as she does us one after the other and gives a package price.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I switched over to my wife's stylist.

After the gal who cut my hair for 20 plus years moved away ~ I did the same thing for several years.
I HAD to stop and refused to go back because she was a flaming Liberal and I couldn't take it anymore but she did cut hair good.
Now going to this nice place called "the Boardroom" and the gal here is not quite as good but we are getting there and I can get a shave or some other cool amenities and don't have to listen to Libtard SHIT!. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I HAD to stop and refused to go back because she was a flaming Liberal and I couldn't take it anymore but she did cut hair good.
"You can rant about your politics, or you can just shut up, cut my hair, and get a tip. Pick one."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I had an old Vietnam Vet for a barber for years... Fantastic guy, had some stories he did. Sad when he had to retire and close his one man shop, end of an era. A real mans sanctuary, smoking allowed and girlie magazines in the rack right along with Field and Stream. I soon got over it when I realized how much time I was waisting there, always a wait and a slow cut. The gals at the Great Clips are pleasant and quick, and much easier on the eyes! Sometimes in and out in 20 minutes. Life moves on.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I had a good barber in a good shop. But then I started cutting my own hair with clippers and didn't really need a barber any more. I miss the experience, but so it goes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My barber of 50 years, he started cutting my hair when I was 5, was forced out of business by my jackass of a governor.
Forced closure for 6 months. Completely destroyed his will to work.
Found a "new" 70yo italian guy to lower my ears. Not the same but better than supercuts.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting for a job that requires you to be on your feet all day, several barbers I have known have worked into their seventies and eighties. My theory is that it seems to be a pretty low stress occupation.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Mrs BB61 started cutting my hair last year in March for obvious reasons. My former neighbor lady cut mine but stopped last March and now sells homes. Mrs BB61 used to do wedding cakes and is good with things like this and figured it out the first time. I now save $$$ and get cut when I need/ want it and I don't have to play the salon version of Russian Roulette wondering if I'll get a decent cut or not.

Good luck!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I like it pretty short. 'You like wash and wear hair' an old stylist of mine said in the mid eighties.

My haircut gal moved to Hawaii in 2015 so I have been doing my own with a Wahl clipper set from Costco ever since then. It even has a tiny AA batt powered trimmer that is great for little touch ups. I figured that Wahl paid for itself in about 1.3 haircuts. Been saving $300+ a year since then. And, it feels good to get a few more cuts in than before, especially in summer when it grows faster than weeds. I stay trimmed, including the back of my neck, pretty much all the time now.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’ve got the wrong guy, but didn’t your girlfriend just need tax advice - I thought you mentioned she was a stylist that had just opened her own salon...she should be a great resource in finding a good barber if your old one didn’t have any idea who to steer you towards.
The stylist I use has many connections with the other salons and barber shops in town..she cuts my son’s hair for a measly 10.00 if she even bothers to charge, and he’s got the hockey hair going on with a desire to look sharp. Not all stylists are $$$$, but I certainly understand where a barber might be preferred.
Good luck in your search.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
For over 10 years now it’s been a 1/2” guard on a set of trimmers. Bzzzzzzzt, done and wife does the details after. Pays for itself almost instantly.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My barber retired about 3-4 years ago. He probably cut my hair 5-6 times per year for at least a dozen years. Cranky, usually quiet fellow. I'd say, normal cut, a little longer, or a litter shorter (in the summer) and I was good to go.

I just found a DECENT replacement after trying 5-6 folks and enduring several bad haircuts and at least a dozen mediocre ones... A few gave me a good one and then butchered me. One of them twice...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My barber of 12 years just changed careers, going into farming; fortunately, one of the other barbers at the shop has cut my hair before so not a huge change.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
My barber has been cutting my hair for almost 16 years, She likes to do it naked most of the time. I also make love to my barber at least 3 times a week . . . She is great! . . . . She also happens to be the world's best wife. I'm a lucky man

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post