SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My barber retired -
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My barber retired - Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
After nearly 30 years of cuts every 3rd Saturday at 6am, he’s hanging up the scissors.

I’m one of the rare guys in his 50’s who still has a full head of fast growing hair, I’m so bummed I’m considering simply shaving my head for the summer until I somehow...somehow find a new barber; ot some shitty stylist who thinks her “hair cuts” are worth $50.

This morning was the last cut; I left him with a handshake, a good bottle of bourbon, and a genuine tear in my eye.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
LOL, in the last two years my doctor, dentist, accountant and attorney all retired. I don't know how these people are aging so fast when I'm staying the same.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Been going to the same place since 1990. Barber retired and has since passed on. His son took over and does just as good as dad. He's my age so I'm good till death (I still have a full head of hair at age 53). .

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Good luck in finding another barber who will give you the same quality and type of haircut.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s rough, man. I haven’t had a run like that with any barber or stylist, but I can appreciate how hard it is to find someone who can consistently provide a good haircut. When I find one, I stay with them until they quit or move. And yes, I’ve done the shaved head thing when I didn’t feel like looking for a replacement. I wish you all the luck in finding someone else who can do the job to your satisfaction, because it is a challenge.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I used the same one from the early 80's until 2014 when he was no longer needed due to hair displacement.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I’m so bummed I’m considering simply shaving my head for the summer until I somehow...somehow find a new barber; ot some shitty stylist who thinks her “hair cuts” are worth $50.

If the alternative is paying $50/month in haircuts, might as well stick with shaving your head and put those hundreds of dollars per year to better use elsewhere. Wink

Razors are comparatively cheap. I get a couple weeks out of one, shaving my head and face ~3x weekly. Figure ~$5 in razors per month. And you're likely buying razors already anyway.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've been going to the same barber since I moved to this area in 1978. So 43 years now. He moved to different locations a couple of times and I followed. He charges $15, I always give him $20 or $25. So far he's surviving the wu-flu shutdowns, though I suspect just barely. I hope he stays in business a while longer. I'd like to retire in another couple years and then get the hell out of here.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ask him who he recommends. My barber is a young guy, but he knows all the other barbers in the area, and knows who's good, and who will match my personality.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After like 15 years, the guy that cut my hair had a stroke and had to retire early. It is funny, he wasn't just a guy, he was my friend, and always interested in my global adventures, and a lot less expensive and probably more helpful than a shrink. I usually went for evening appointments, and his receptionist was great about making reminder calls.

I found a new guy but it's not the same.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I had that happen to me several years ago. My barber retired and I luckily found one who is even better. It was time for my original one as his skills were starting to slip and his haircuts were not the quality they used to be. Hated to see him go though.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm 66 and also have my full head of hair.
When my barber retired about 10-12 years ago, I was lucky enough to find another good barber, an elderly Italian gentleman.
Covid changed that, and I've been going to the woman that used to babysit my kids for the last year (she was a teenager then).
She's actually a trained barber but runs a beauty salon.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Timely rant. My barber sold his shop and now only works a few days. He will be gone soon...

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been with my girl for 36 years, she does it just right every time! She is slightly younger than me, so I hope she outlasts me. When This Covid shit first started, she called me and I went and got my hair cut in her garage (this gal rocks!!!)

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ya. My doctor retired. I gotta find a new guy to stick his fingers up my heinie. That sucks. You got bourbon. I didn't even get a kiss.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too had a barber who I was with for many years

When he died

Rather than try and find another, I bought some clippers and the wife cuts my hair.

She does as good a job as he did, but I still miss the times hanging out at the shop and all of the different people who you would run in to when you went for a haircut.

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My last two barbers retired, then died shortly thereafter. My current barber is the daughter of my previous barber. All three in the same old-style barbershop.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Clippers, #2 guard, done. I go see the wig splitter every 5-6 weeks just to trim around the edges. $20 I don’t want to spend but I can’t edge it myself. I miss the barber days, edging with a sharpened blade. They don’t exist around here. Everything is a got damn salon now and $$$$.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'd been going to an old-timey barber shop for many years, same guy cutting my hair.

Then along came The Virus and I decided that it was not a good idea for me, to have somebody working that closely around my head, somebody who had worked on dozens of people during the preceding few days.

The shortest guard in the trimmer kit leaves me with just a bit of fuzz and the job's done at home. I won't win any beauty contests but I don't have the "mad scientist" look, either.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using the trimmer at home as well, since before the cabrona virus. The only legit barber shop in Jerkwater is run by a lady who opens and closes at random, whenever the whim strikes. And a mediocre 10 minute haircut ends up at $20 after the tip.

This shop used to be run like a well-oiled machine back when the old man was in charge, there were always two barbers on duty and they did a steady business at both chairs.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post