SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What’s with all the dudes at the range shooting with tactical gloves on
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s with all the dudes at the range shooting with tactical gloves on Login/Join 
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Could be a mall ninja in training.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 80s and 90s I wore baseball batting gloves to shoot. They were common with 44s and metallic silhouette. Nowadays I wear mechanix, or any old cotton gloves. They make me look tacticool, and keep my hands warm. in summer, they insulate from the heat of semis....We must maintain our sense of humor!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
I am not tacticool but I am a motorcop
I shoot with my gloves on regular basis

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The "summer of glove"! Big Grin I don't remember what year is was, somewhere around '05, '06 when I worked at the range, every Timmy showed up with tactical gloves to shoot.

Same guys who's AR's wouldn't function, due to an obvious lack of lubrication. When I'd point out the problem they would say too much oil wasn't good because it made them jam "in the sandbox". At which point I would remind them where they currently were. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I shoot with gloves anytime I am shooting an AR, because when I pull out my AR at work I will be wearing gloves (K9 tracks, for instance).

I don't frequently wear them when shooting handguns, though.

And I'm super tacticoool, with my Mechanix extra-hobbit-small toddler gloves Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I use mechanix because I have eczema. So I always protect my hands 24/7, because if I do, I do not have to deal with eczema, at all. I’ll break out nitrile gloves on the range to reload as well to avoid digging all the crap out of my nails after a long range session. I tend to immediately wash my clothes after as well, and take a shower. Indoor range = a lot of shit swirling round from firearm work.

The original post did make me laugh. One day walking into my range/lgs I was wearing a pair of Adidas sandals. Probably 101 degrees that day. As I’m walking in, some scrote lipped off at me “Never seen anyone wear sandals to the gun range” blah blah blah. I asked him if we’re gonna be running tactical drills today. This place is family owned and the son and daughter behind the counter started chuckling. He didn’t like that none. I then rubbed it in, and asked him if I needed to go home first and change into some camo before going into an indoor gun range. Guy had some kind of work or tactical boots on, camo, curled up bill ball cap, oh my. Go home and talk your shit, don’t interrupt or impede me because you’ve got serious mental challenges.

Don’t judge a book by its’ cover. I don’t care what people wear at the range. As long as they are practicing safety and my pet peeve, not bringing in your 4 Mexican kids running around like s spanked ass.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I went to a shooting school for a week, I took a pair of thin leather gloves with me. On Monday morning I could not find them, so I did not use them that day. After about 9 hours of drills and shooting my Sig .45, my hands were pretty sore and I caught a piece of my hand while cycling the slide and was bleeding as well.
The rest of the week, I had my gloves, like most of the other guys there and it went fine.

If I was just defending myself with my pistol, I would not stop to put my gloves on, but for a week of shooting...yeah.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Obviously one-50-round-box-of-ammo-range-session-Kommandos don't need gloves, since they don't shoot enough - but when you put down a Kommandos yearly ammo allotment in an afternoon, sometimes it's nice to have gloves.

Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I wear them when it's cold out. I guess I'm a Tacmando. Big Grin

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig229owner
posted Hide Post
I personally don’t care what others are wearing when I go to the range. I’m there to practice, not pass judgement on other people and their attire.

I will say, I have read several articles by shooters with a lot more experience than me who advocate practicing with gloves on.

The argument for it is if you practice with them on and get in a situation where you need to use your firearm (eg. Self defense situation) and aren’t wearing your gloves, it’s not a hard transition. Whereas if you never practice with gloves and one time find yourself in a situation where you need to use your firearm while wearing gloves, then it might be much harder to manipulate the firearm....

Food for thought....

Posts: 801 | Registered: July 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Obviously one-50-round-box-of-ammo-range-session-Kommandos don't need gloves, since they don't shoot enough - but when you put down a Kommandos yearly ammo allotment in an afternoon, sometimes it's nice to have gloves.

Razz

yes we aren't talking some crazy training center. this is a range in the middle of the city were people tend to shoot for an hour or less....and its 80 degrees out.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Gloves are one thing.

Gloves and a Drop Leg Holster are another thing entirely, and generally ridicule worthy.

Add a Dunlop, or Mirrored Shades, or a bunch of sparkling clean Morale Patches, or never been dirty BDUs, and I'd be laughing at them, too, probably unable to contain myself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Pft. I was going to invite you guys over to shoot at my place, but not now.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Pft. I was going to invite you guys over to shoot at my place, but not now.

Smile

BYOG?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Maybe it’s the same as the West Coast “Straw for drinking Hot coffee” concept - basically the pretty people out there don’t want to stain their artificallly brightened teeth, so they drink it through a straw, so it doesn’t touch their teeth.

Same here with the gloves, but they don’t want callouses?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I think the most people I've seen at my range at once was three.

Yeah, I like it there.

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
I wear gloves pretty frequently when I shoot. I have a habit of putting a drop or two of CLP on the rail right before I get started, and I honestly just don't want it to spatter all over my hands. I hate having shit on my hands.

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace and lips, of you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. Here's to my love.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they didn't want to leave fingerprints on their brass. Eek

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm just a wimp, but it doesn't take many mag changes or slide racks before my hands start getting tender.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've never heard "No glove, no love"?

But, in all seriousness, shooting gloves have been around for a long time, I remember reading articles back in the 90s and seeing some of the writers wearing them, especially with the large bore revolvers.

We've also got a whole generation of soldiers that have been conditioned to not go out side the wire without wearing eyepro and gloves. Heck, I don't think I've shot a qualification without gloves since I was a 2LT (over a decade ago). I suspect that some of your fellow shooters either are Vets or are emulating them.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post