SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What’s with all the dudes at the range shooting with tactical gloves on
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s with all the dudes at the range shooting with tactical gloves on Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Are you and your S&W shield gonna be breaching a house soon? Does the wecoil hurt your widdle hands? It’s North Carolina it doesn’t really get cold enough to wear gloves so no need to practice with them every time. I know it makes you look “super tactical” but it also kinda makes you look like a douche. Especially when you pair your special forces gloves with flip flops.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I actually noticed this yesterday, don’t recall seeing it prior. This guy was shooting a 1911 with rmr and a can on it. He was drawing from a kydex drop leg too. Couldn’t make out the morale patch on his hat and his beard was Joe Dirtish.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
If I'm shooting a lot of hot 10mm or the like, something with a really aggressive texture like my TRP, or getting my AR/suppressor hot enough to burn, I tend to wear thin leather or similar shooting gloves. Other than that I agree with you.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My hands have a tendency to cramp when the temperature drops a bit. I keep a pair of hardware store fingerless gloves, and use them for just about any activity if I detect the start of a cramp.

Old age. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I agree that if you're Joe Schmoe who's simply casually plinking or punching paper, they're not needed. (Okay, the Rambo types might need gloves to protect their hands from the heat generated by their fourth rapid-fire mag dump in a row while attempting to impress their friends.) In these cases, they're primarily just fashion accessories; merely a tacticool compliment to the douchebag mall ninja get-up of a beard, drop leg holster, 16 mag chest rig, shemagh, and morale patch cap.

However, gloves can have their place.

I sometimes wear gloves when shooting for extended (hours/all day) training sessions or classes, when repetitive abrasion is a concern. But sometimes I just make do with a couple wraps of athletic tape on the abrasion-prone areas, like the knuckle of my middle finger or the base of my thumb.

And I also sometimes specifically practice with my duty gloves on. I have a summer weight pair and a winter weight pair. Shooting with gloves on - especially thicker winter gloves - is a little bit different, and something that you have to train for.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe LEO's.....was always taught that if you ever expect to use your weapon while wearing gloves better make sure you train your ass off while wearing them. A lot can get caught up on gloves and the SHTF quickly. Even heard it come up in court proceedings with LEO's.

On the other hand whats more badass than $100 gloves and some flip flops for a sweet day at the range!

Posts: 55 | Location: Port Huron, Michigan | Registered: August 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I agree that if you're Joe Schmoe who's simply casually plinking or punching paper, they're not needed. (Okay, the Rambo types might need gloves to protect their hands from the heat generated by their fourth rapid-fire mag dump in a row while attempting to impress their friends.) In these cases, they're primarily just fashion accessories; merely a tacticool compliment to the douchebag mall ninja get-up of a beard, drop leg holster, 16 mag chest rig, shemagh, and morale patch cap.

However, gloves can have their place.

I sometimes wear gloves when shooting for extended (hours/all day) training sessions or classes, when repetitive abrasion is a concern. But sometimes I just make do with a couple wraps of athletic tape on the abrasion-prone areas, like the knuckle of my middle finger or the base of my thumb.

And I also sometimes specifically practice with my duty gloves on. I have a summer weight pair and a winter weight pair. Shooting with gloves on - especially thicker winter gloves - is a little bit different, and something that you have to train for.

If you are LEO or military I totally get it. The dudes I’m talking about are definitely not LEO or Military. An overweight accountant shooting 2-300 rounds at the range is what I’m talking about. What I really find funny is that these dudes will shoot their carry guns with gloves on and yada yada but never practice drawing, off hand shooting, etc...

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
What I really find funny is that these dudes will shoot their carry guns with gloves on and yada yada but never practice drawing, off hand shooting, etc...

Do they look really cool when they bring the pistol back to high ready and look to both sides too?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
What I really find funny is that these dudes will shoot their carry guns with gloves on and yada yada but never practice drawing, off hand shooting, etc...

Do they look really cool when they bring the pistol back to high ready and look to both sides too?

That’s what they are doing? I though a bug landed on their face and they were trying to get it off!

posted Hide Post
I'll do you one better . Before I retired from the power company , one of my coworkers spotted another coworker filling his vehicle at the gas station after work . This guy was wearing mirror sunglasses and a ballistic vest . WTF ?
I know for a fact this guy also owned a Concealed Handgun Permit badge as well . Down here we call that " ate up with it " .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Down here we call that " ate up with it " .

Yep. That's a great Southern way of describing that type of douchebaggery.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
Did you mean the “dudettes” ?

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Is it ok if I wear the Mechanix gloves?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
"Blood Checkering". It can make you bleed.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Is it ok if I wear the Mechanix gloves?

I do, you can too! Big Grin

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I shoot with gloves on sometimes. Winter matches are COLD. Especially when you have to wait 25 minutes until your next run. Most times I take them off, sometimes I forget, and sometimes it's just too freaking cold not to.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, I probably SHOULD try shooting with tactical gloves on. I hate anything on my hands or wrists and don't know that I've EVER gone to a pistol range wearing gloves but I do wear them in winter to keep my hands warm. I need to practice a bit in winter warm gloves to be sure that I can without issues...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle on this....I wear one glove on my left hand (I'm right handed). I'm not going for the Michael Jackson or half tacti-fool look. I wear a glove when I'm shooting my suppressor. It tends to walk loose after a lot of firing and checking the tightness of the can without a glove is NOT a good idea. Ask me how I know...better yet never mind. Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My high power used to hammer bite the hell out of me. I would occasionally use mechanix type gloves to save my hand

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot with gloves on, getting ready for hunting season. When I sight in my rifles, I want to feel the trigger break. I wear tactical gloves because I have to crawl to stalk antelope and want to keep the stickers out. Shooting pistols when I was still a street cop I would qualify with Kevlar gloves once or twice in the winter. I don't think I'd do that now.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post