SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that one could start a new forum specifically about oil changes gone very wrong.

The subject came up at a brunch one time,
and all ten people had three stories each.

Even a few stories about the shade tree mechanics fowling up a time or two, over 30 years.

Then there are the stories about the mechanic' s leaving their tools under the hood.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
All the horror stories is why I’ll be changing my own oil until I’m physically not able to do so.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Dewhorse do yourself a favor and buy this..

http://fumotousa.com/parts.php...=F106S&partnumber=44

I have them on all our vehicles including our Porsche’s. That way the next time either you or some grease money changes your oil it will be easier...

You’re welcome.

I put them on every vehicle we have now. Make changing the oil pretty easy.

When I purchased my Camry in 2013, I did the first oil change at something less than 5K (owner's manual said 10K) and put on a the Fumoto valve. When I took it to the dealer for the 10K oil change, they actually unscrewed the valve to change the oil, took off the old crush washer and didn't put a new washer back which caused a leak Mad )...

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ That’s some weapons grade stupid right there.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks smlsig, will pass that along

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen over torquing of plugs and filters more than under. Also, they usually forget to put oil in the filter before installing, and forget to lube the o ring on the filter and to replace the washer on the drain plug. We drive so little anymore and both our cars take fully syntetic oil, so we get the cars into the dealer for an annual checkup and oil change (about 5000 miles). My tractor and push hmowers I do myself. I actually enjoy seeing that black oil being replaced with fresh!!

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A neighbor changed his own oil.

Drained the old oil, installed a new filter, replaced the drain plug, and drove away.

The car has been sitting in his driveway for a couple of years now.

PT Cruiser doesn't run very long with no oil in the engine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Drained the old oil, installed a new filter, replaced the drain plug, and drove away.

No oil in a PT Cruiser is the least of the problems involving that car!!!

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
All the horror stories is why I’ll be changing my own oil until I’m physically not able to do so.
^^^^^^ This.

I always hated the first oil change after buying the car. I'd swear the factory puts the oil plug and filter on with an air wrench. Last car I bought I had the dealer complete the first oil and filter change, and replace the oil drain plug with a Stahlbus drain plug.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

I'd swear the factory puts the oil plug and filter on with an air wrench.

Agreed. The first oil change on our then new 2008 GMC Acadia was horrible. Access to the oil filter wasn't the best and I tried everything to remove it.

Finally I was compelled to drive a screw driver through it, turn it about 15 degrees, repeat, until I could loosen it by hand.

My wife could hear me swearing in the house.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I change all of the oil for my families 5 cars except the Wife's Caddy, she likes going there, getting a new loaner and shopping at the mall while it's being done. She's fancy like that

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then there are the stories about the mechanic' s leaving their tools under the hood.

I had a clutch changed at a Chevy dealer on my Blazer many years ago. A couple of days later the clutch locked up. Towed back to the dealer & a large socket was found inside the housing!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

quote:
I had a clutch changed at a Chevy dealer on my Blazer many years ago. A couple of days later the clutch locked up. Towed back to the dealer & a large socket was found inside the housing!
I have a nice Snap-On wrench that I found after a flight, in a sort of hidden place in the engine compartment that I never used to look at during a pre-flight inspection. That hidden place is on my checklist now.

My regular maintenance guy inventories his tools before he signs off on a job but this wrench was left there by a guy at a different airport when I needed something taken care of while I was on a trip.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Not that uncommon of an occurrence in dealerships either. Saw a lot of those over the years.

Funniest one was in my teen years. I worked in a gas station, two of the guys were double teaming a early 60's Buick (this was about 68-69) oil change. Car on the ground, gas station owner comes into the bay area and asks "Who put oil in the Buick?" Both of them answered "Me". Yep, they both did. Using the "big buck" motor oil we offered, Amoco LDO, that stuff was a dollar a quart back then. I got to drain it out and refill the car. Since it was fresh and not run, one of my friends and I measured it out and changed the oil in our cars that night for free, only paid for the filters.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, after double checking the oil plug & filter, watch those lug nuts too. I’ll take a few ‘free’ oil changes then go back to my own service.

I hear people say, ‘with a coupon it’s only $15.99 for a change, noT worth doing yourself’. First off, I’m usually done by the time you could drive to the shop. If I screw something up, it’s on me. I can also look over things myself while doing the change.

I’ve known a few that had a leak after a quick change visit. Then the two that had a wheel fall off due to loose lug nuts.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local dealer bought me an oil pain after the "tech" stripped the threads on the plug and left an ocean of oil on my garage floor. Several days of loaner car too as they couldn't get a pan right away.

I have a long slot head screwdriver, and several Snap-On wrenches in my toolbox that I've found under the hood while working on cars over the years.

Also own a number of tools picked up off the road that likely fell out of vehicles after being left there when a job was completed or dropped where they could not be found/accessed by the dropper and eventually bounced out of the vehicle.

Policing up your tools at the end of the job is a must.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sibling uses this
https://www.amazon.com/ValvoMa...%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-47

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My Sister in law's Honda Civic's drain plug was so tight, we had to use a scissor jack to the wrench handle as no amount of leverage was possible to loosen it while laying contorted on your back.
The fact that the drain plug was sized for a 17mm wrench may have made the previous person believe it required gorilla strength to tighten it.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I changed the oil and the drain plug was fairly loose. It had been a year since I last changed it. I wasn't sure if the original gasket stuck to the pan. Didn't check. Week later, I drain it again. Plug loose. Two gaskets. Cost 4 quarts extra.
Sigforum saves again. Now if I can just find my hammer......................

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 2003 Silverado, a survey asked about my dealer treatment. I said they pressed too hard when I declined extended warranty. For this they gave me 3 free oil changes and a tank of gas. (not insignificant since it holds 36 gallons)

Since I do my own mechanical work I was reluctant, but since I didn't know yet how to check front axle and transfer case, I trusted them with it. Got home afterwards to verify they checked all sumps, they didn't. Then I noticed the engine drain plug dripping. The only bolt they touched they didn't tighten.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post