SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Taking care of some maintenance on my NTM '17 GTI.

Got new Pilot Sport 3 A/S tire on Wednesday and since my oil change was due I decided to take it to a dealer in Indy for the oil and tranny/brake fluid change.

Done fairly quickly and had a great conversation on ars with one of the salesman....I was feeling good and ready for a weekend of carving corners in NW PA.

Coming up I79 having a bit of fun with a 3 series the EPC light comes on...this limits the engine to 4K.

Ok....I think to myself, take the next ramp...about 5 miles away and turn it off and take a look, I am 60 miles from home and 80 from the closest dealer.

Then the low oil lamp comes on....fuck me! 2 miles from the ramp, I should have shut it down right then but the location was less than ideal.

Got off the ramp....no knocking or clanking, shut it down.

Oil the hood...yup, pan covered in oil...also covering the back off the car...fuckidy fuck fuck!!

call a tow through my insurance and in the mean time called and left a message for the service manager at the dealership that had done the oil change. I was polite but short.

As an aside, great to see people still care, had a least 4 people stop and ask if I was ok. Including a cute state trooper that asked if I was "going a bit too fast and overheated" Big Grin, told her I wish that was the case..anyway

Tow got there in 30 minutes and the guy was great and dropped me off at my son's apartment and dropped the car. Brown's towing out of Greenville...good guys!

The SM called me while I was riding and profusely apologized gave me her cell number and asked that the other dealer call her and get pictures and said they would cover everything...assuming it was their fault...

So sitting here on a Saturday morning, pretty sure they will not be done today since it's a Saturday. Booked a rental later today.

While I am truly upset I am just hoping I don't need a new engine...don't want to deal with that drama.

I can't imagine that it's not the Indy dealerships fault the engine only has 40K on it and I was not beating it badly.

We will see...I wish it was the worst thing that happened yesterday but one of my employees is facing a ethics investigation and per his own words he is guilty as hell but "thought it was a gray area"...no it isn't you IDIOT!!...I will have to fire him which leaves me short a manager in my busiest market Mad

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.
Have seen it many times when working at Honda, but usually it was 2 crush washers on the drain plug.

Side note: did you get the AS3 or AS3+
We have the AS3+ on our Flex, as recommended by LBJ here, and they've been fantastic.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That sucks. When free maintenance ran out on my 2016 Taco, I wasn’t that disappointed because of this risk.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Some pretty nice back roads up that way, sorry for your troubles. We have a place on French Creek off of 62. Love the empty, winding roads there.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Sorry to hear.
Have seen it many times when working at Honda, but usually it was 2 crush washers on the drain plug.

We have the AS3+ on our Flex, as recommended by LBJ here, and they've been fantastic.

AS3+...haven't had a chance to really try them

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Sorry to hear.

AS3+...haven't had a chance to really try them

Ours have been fantastic in everything we've thrown at them.

Houston monsoons
Sub freezing temps in Flagstaff
100*+ Houston summer

No snow or ice, so no comment there. But, I have no problem endorsing them otherwise.
Would've put them on my Mercedes, but got a deal on some Potenzas @ around $300 less, installed.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have a new Toyota Highlander and it came with some free oil changes. Have not taken advantage of any. I'm very anal about my cars. The only one doing an oil change on my cars is me. Plus I do them sooner than required.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is one reason why I do my own maintenance.

We have a 2018 Toyota Highlander and I took it in for service at the 5k mile mark. They just top off fluids at that interval, change oil & filter at 10k miles. Decided to do it myself after that.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I can't think of ANY reason why the oil drain plug would NOT be tightened when it was screwed back into the hole. Honest...can't think of ONE reason.

Sorry for your troubles...at least the shop admitted their error and is willing to work with you!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, actually 1964, I picked up my Porsche after an oil change. Next stop was town hall to pay a parking ticket.

Came out of the building, looked across the street where my car was parked (with money in the meter this time) and saw a puddle of oil under the car. Walked across the street, took a closer look, and found my drain plug in the puddle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Dewhorse do yourself a favor and buy this..

http://fumotousa.com/parts.php...=F106S&partnumber=44

I have them on all our vehicles including our Porsche’s. That way the next time either you or some grease money changes your oil it will be easier...

You’re welcome.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I've seen the gasket off the old oil filter stay on the surface it contacts. If the tech didn't wipe that area off before reassembly and it was still there the new filter will leak profusely as it is under pressure at that point.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter?

All it takes is a moment of inattention or distraction.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter?

All it takes is a moment of inattention or distraction.

Yep, that was it at Honda.

Either the crush washer would stick to the pan, or the tech would forget to take the old one off the plug & double it up.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but what is an NTM GTI? Nurburgring Track Monster?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I'm sorry, but what is an NTM GTI? Nurburgring Track Monster?

NTM = New to me, I'm guessing

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience as Krazeehorse where the old gasket was left in place when they screwed on the new oil filter. Oil sprayed on exhaust manifold and I thought the car was on fire when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw all the smoke. Quite a mess.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Dewhorse do yourself a favor and buy this..

http://fumotousa.com/parts.php...=F106S&partnumber=44

I have them on all our vehicles including our Porsche’s. That way the next time either you or some grease money changes your oil it will be easier...

You’re welcome.

Yep. Just installed one a few weeks ago on the 4runner.

Another good thing is you can drain the old oil directly into the empty container(s) from the previous oil change. A section of 3/8" hose makes it easier to direct the flow.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oil plugs not tightened & oil not completely filled happened to me so many times I tried to always change my own oil. When I can not change it myself I pull over a block away & check under the engine & check the dip stick level. After getting home I check under the engine after a few hours.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I had the opposite problem with my Jeep and a local dealership.

They over tightened both the drain plug and the oil filter cap. I swear it was out of spite as for the second oil change in a row they put the wrong weight oil in it. First time I caught it the next morning, last time I checked the paperwork and found that out before I left. Both times I made them change it and put the correct oil in it.

Found this out during our lockdown here when I had to change it myself.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post