SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how hard is it tighten an oil plug/filter? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
My sibling uses this
https://www.amazon.com/ValvoMa...%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-47

That's brilliant. I love how it begins draining when the hose is screwed on. You could also attach the hose to an oil change pump for more rapid draining or to eliminate the need for a drain pan, possibly meaning you don't have to jack up the car or drive on ramps if the hose could be screwed on.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Shop left the oil filler cap off my Daughters car once. She freaked out, thought the car was on fire when oil blew out and hit the hot engine and exhaust but no fire. Just a huge mess.

The shop did everything they could to make it right, they steam cleaned the engine bay and undercarriage, bought and installed a new filler cap, refilled the oil, refunded the cost of the oil change and gave her a coupon for a free oil change for the next time.

But dang, as they say... you had ONE job!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's bad enough when something like this happens with a car. Here's something far worse that happened to me.

I had stopped for fuel on a flight. I watched the line guy fuel the airplane, then I went inside to pay the bill. Line guy was still reeling the hose back onto the fuel truck.

I paid, used the men's room, grabbed a snack to go, went out to the airplane, did a walk-around, everything looked fine, so I climbed in to resume my trip.

Take-off was fine, but as airspeed increased during initial climb, an oil mist started streaming from the engine cowling and proceeded to coat the windshield and make it totally opaque. I could not see a thing.

Reduced power, slowed it down, told tower I was declaring an emergency, came around and repositioned myself for landing by looking out the side window, landed, went in and grabbed the manager of the FBO, who called the line guy, and we had an animated discussion.

Seems that when I had gone it to pay the fuel bill, the line guy took it on himself to check the oil, and had not tightened the cap properly. He never told me that he had been "under the hood," I had checked the oil prior to fueling while I was waiting for him to appear with the truck, so not knowing that he had been mucking around, I had no reason to open the engine cowling. I had looked in there just ten or fifteen minutes earlier, I did not look again.

FBO had the engine compartment thoroughly cleaned and I departed, with a new "learning experience" under my belt.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post