SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mouse In My Car Grrrrr
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mouse In My Car Grrrrr Login/Join 
Picture of GTO
posted
A mouse made a hell of a mess in my car. The firewall area, fresh air heater area. So in the process of pulling the wipers off to access the area I heard a snap. Windshield crack, FNFKN mouse I'm going to kill that little turd. Little bastard cost me $400 ( windshield) plus labor to clean up the mess. The water drain hole diameter was way too big. I used screen and epoxy to stop the mouse for next time. Roll Eyes

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Our son had a mouse in his car a few years ago at college. They seem to like that ‘cabin air filter’ area, his the same.

I had a mouse setting up a home under my snowmobile hood a month ago. I saw him dead on the ground, must of ate something.

I have preventative around, mostly pet safe bait houses. I have no remorse & dispatch every one I see.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The last few years our winters have been very mild. No real cold periods (global warming? Smile).

In the past, when we had really frigid temperatures, like below 40, for several days, the field mice would infest the hangars at the airport, seeking shelter from the cold.

The worst occurrence was the mouse that crawled into the blower fan on my truck. Took us a bit of searching to find the cause of "the smell of death" every time we turned on the fan.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have pet safe, mouse eating cats.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Yep, had them in the blower and fresh air filter areas as well as chewing up a plug wire set. Turning on the fan and getting hit in the face with dust, grit and no doubt stuff sucks. I had to take stuff apart and clean out the nests.

The wife has had a couple cases in her SUV, traps with peanut butter got them quick.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've never had them in our cars, or the boat, yet, but we've had them in the house. Last fall Mrs. Ensigmatic put a bunch of pet-safe mouse poison all around the house. We had one mouse, which the cats brought upstairs and subsequently lost control of (later found dead in a closet).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The manufacturers insist on the cabin air filters, which allow eaqsy access to rodents. WHY they can't add a SCREEN over that opening astounds me.

Cost me $500 last year when a mouse got into my 17 Camaro and set up house in the blowers and behind my dashboard.

Simple fix was a screen over the cabin air filter access port. NO further issues.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Soy used in the manufacture of wireing insulation and other items as an abundant food source for mice does not help.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my S.C.A.T. unit deployed at all times. All five members are on duty 24 hours a day and patrol for vermin (sometimes butterflies too). Since the Special Cat Assault Team has been active, no more mouse attacks on my house or vehicles. Before implementation of the team, traps and a pellet gun just couldn't win the battle. Now, if I can train them to tunnel and go after the pocket gophers.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have to repair rodent-damaged auto wiring fairly often. The most rodent fun I had was pulling a blower motor that was making noise and a dead mouse - its face shredded off by the fan blades - falling out with it.

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Every orfice on my P car has a cap. No problems so far this year.

I dare the first mouse to penetrate the cap squad. Once that happens I deploy chemicals and sticky paper.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
I got the mouse traps deployed. Cats are on high alert. No mercy

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I have to repair rodent-damaged auto wiring fairly often. The most rodent fun I had was pulling a blower motor that was making noise and a dead mouse - its face shredded off by the fan blades - falling out with it.

Don't know how a blower fan cuts things in two. Red Face

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had mouse nesting somewhere in the dash, liked chewing on things in the glove box. Then, next season, found five, live babies in the glove box! Now have pet safe mouse poison in the garage and that seems to have solved the problem, even with the truck stored outside.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Coworker had a nest under the hood of his Nissan truck... unfortunately he only found out when it caught fire while he was stopped at a red light. He had no fire extinguisher. Burned down, total loss.

A mouse built a nest in the engine of my ZTR mower. It blocked the flow of cooling air over one of the heads. The head overheated allowing the pressed in valve guide to slip in position causing a no start. Repair required a new head. The mower was almost three years old but was covered by Briggs and Stratton commercial warranty. The dealer fixed it at no charge.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Rats!

Okay, not the worst. 20 minutes into driving to work, a three foot long snake came out from under the dash and slid across the passengers floorboard to under the drivers seat. I got some funny looks when I made it to work and opened all six doors on my Suburban and went inside. Came back and closed the doors an hour later.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I hate those things. I've had to fix the wiring on my tractor more times than you can imagine. Poison seems to help.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post

Got to keep an eye out for the little suckers. Had the tech check out the wiring after he found this.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The only vehicle we keep outside of the garage or a shed is the Kubota tractor. In 17 years, never a mouse chewing problem, and we have plenty of field mice. Perhaps the smell of diesel keeps them at bay. Now the little ground squirrels who feed on mesquite seed pods love to take their pods up into the tractor's engine compartment, leaving behind massive piles of empty pods. It takes an air hose to blast them all out.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post